Thread: Help finding state statue

Post imported post

Hey Everyone,

Can someone point out the state statue were it covers silencers. I'm in an discussion with a buddy and I'm pretty sure you can't have one unless you have a FFL and even then I don't think you can use it. I know I've read it once but can't seem to locate it.

Thanks.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html with a search function too!

Post imported post

Thanks Doug I knew I could count on you.

It's in chapter in 941 in case anyone looks this up in the future.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

941.298 Firearm silencers.

941.298(1)
    (1) In this section, "firearm silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device, and any part intended only for use in that assembly or fabrication.

941.298(2)
    (2) Whoever sells, delivers or possesses a firearm silencer is guilty of a Class H felony.

941.298(3)
    (3) Subsection (2) does not apply to sales or deliveries of firearm silencers to or possession of firearm silencers by any of the following:

941.298(3)(a)
    (a) Any peace officer who is acting in compliance with the written policies of the officer's department or agency. This paragraph does not apply to any officer whose department or agency does not have such a policy. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), this paragraph does not apply to a commission warden.

941.298(3)(b)
    (b) Any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the line of duty.

941.298(3)(c)
    (c) Any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872.

941.298 - ANNOT.
    History: 1991 a. 39; 2001 a. 109; 2007 a. 27.

Post imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
    941.298 Firearm silencers.

941.298(1)
    (1) In this section, "firearm silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device, and any part intended only for use in that assembly or fabrication.

941.298(2)
    (2) Whoever sells, delivers or possesses a firearm silencer is guilty of a Class H felony.

941.298(3)
    (3) Subsection (2)
    does not apply to sales or deliveries of firearm silencers to or possession of firearm silencers by any of the following:

941.298(3)(a)
    (a) Any peace officer who is acting in compliance with the written policies of the officer's department or agency. This paragraph does not apply to any officer whose department or agency does not have such a policy. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), this paragraph does not apply to a commission warden.

941.298(3)(b)
    (b) Any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the line of duty.

941.298(3)(c)
    (c) Any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872.

941.298 - ANNOT.
    History: 1991 a. 39; 2001 a. 109; 2007 a. 27.
    Suppressor possession and use is legal in WI. as long as you fill out the proper ATF forms and pay your $200 tax. Look up the Fed. statutes, it explains it all there.

Post imported post

This is the form used to apply for registration of a machine gun, silencer or "any other" weapon.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

Post imported post

Good job Cooper.

$200, and paperwork eh? I might think about that someday soon.

Post imported post

In fact, Lauers' in Chippewa Falls sells them, there's another place in the Madison area too. I think any class III dealer can get you one, not sure about that though.
    I was thinking about getting a couple, but between the forms, taxes (200.00) cost (600.00-800.00) and 4-6 month wait for the permit to go through, I decided I didn't really need one. Got to shoot with one on a .223, it quieted it down quite a bit, but nothing like I imagined it would. Guess I watch too much TV...

Post imported post

The $200 is just the tax paid to the feds, usually there is a higher transfer fee at the FFL, between $75-100, plus the actual cost of the item. I will be purchasing a class III S.O.T. so I can buy and sell full auto's and suppressors. Should be interesting.