• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help finding state statue

menomonieman

imported post

Hey Everyone,

Can someone point out the state statue were it covers silencers. I'm in an discussion with a buddy and I'm pretty sure you can't have one unless you have a FFL and even then I don't think you can use it. I know I've read it once but can't seem to locate it.

Thanks.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

941.298 Firearm silencers.

941.298(1)
(1) In this section, "firearm silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device, and any part intended only for use in that assembly or fabrication.

941.298(2)
(2) Whoever sells, delivers or possesses a firearm silencer is guilty of a Class H felony.

941.298(3)
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to sales or deliveries of firearm silencers to or possession of firearm silencers by any of the following:

941.298(3)(a)
(a) Any peace officer who is acting in compliance with the written policies of the officer's department or agency. This paragraph does not apply to any officer whose department or agency does not have such a policy. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), this paragraph does not apply to a commission warden.

941.298(3)(b)
(b) Any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the line of duty.

941.298(3)(c)
(c) Any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872.

941.298 - ANNOT.
History: 1991 a. 39; 2001 a. 109; 2007 a. 27.

Cooper

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
941.298 Firearm silencers.

941.298(1)
(1) In this section, "firearm silencer" means any device for silencing, muffling or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating such a device, and any part intended only for use in that assembly or fabrication.

941.298(2)
(2) Whoever sells, delivers or possesses a firearm silencer is guilty of a Class H felony.

941.298(3)
(3) Subsection (2)
does not apply to sales or deliveries of firearm silencers to or possession of firearm silencers by any of the following:

941.298(3)(a)
(a) Any peace officer who is acting in compliance with the written policies of the officer's department or agency. This paragraph does not apply to any officer whose department or agency does not have such a policy. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), this paragraph does not apply to a commission warden.

941.298(3)(b)
(b) Any armed forces or national guard personnel, while in the line of duty.

941.298(3)(c)
(c) Any person who has complied with the licensing and registration requirements under 26 USC 5801 to 5872.

941.298 - ANNOT.
History: 1991 a. 39; 2001 a. 109; 2007 a. 27.
Suppressor possession and use is legal in WI. as long as you fill out the proper ATF forms and pay your $200 tax. Look up the Fed. statutes, it explains it all there.

Serpent

imported post

In fact, Lauers' in Chippewa Falls sells them, there's another place in the Madison area too. I think any class III dealer can get you one, not sure about that though.
I was thinking about getting a couple, but between the forms, taxes (200.00) cost (600.00-800.00) and 4-6 month wait for the permit to go through, I decided I didn't really need one. Got to shoot with one on a .223, it quieted it down quite a bit, but nothing like I imagined it would. Guess I watch too much TV...

Cooper

imported post

The $200 is just the tax paid to the feds, usually there is a higher transfer fee at the FFL, between $75-100, plus the actual cost of the item. I will be purchasing a class III S.O.T. so I can buy and sell full auto's and suppressors. Should be interesting.