• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confronted By Walmart store manager yesterday...

boostintalon96

imported post

Yesterday, my girlfriend, my 2 year old son and I went to the walmart in Mukwanago and I decided to OC. I have OCed numerous times so I was assuming I wouldn't have any issues... I was sitting at the computer where you print your own photos waiting for my pictures to be printed talking kindly to the photo assistant (who knew I was armed and didn't bother her one bit).I look up to see two cops walk right passed me from my strong side and just kept walking...

45 mins later I was walking up to the checkout aisle and someone approached me...

Them: "Is that a gun?"

Me: "you betcha"

Them: "Did you know there are two cops in here looking for you?"

Me: "I saw the two cops a long time ago but they walked right passed me."

Them:"Well they said they were here to remove you. They said they would do it quietly but I dont know about that.. Everytime a cop deals with someone with a gun they freak out!"

Me: "I assure you that I wont give them ANY reason to freak out so that wont be an issue."

Them:" well it wasn't us that called them but Walmart has a Policy against guns in their stores."

Me:" Well I have done research and found that Walmart and many other businessess follow the states laws about carrying guns in there stores.. But if you would like me to leave I will gladly do so without any further incident."

Them:"Well i was unaware of this policy so you are free to check out your items."

I then asked him for his contact information which he gave me and told him that if he would look up the current gun policy, I wouldn't OC in that store until I talked with him again..

He then asked me why I carried a gun. I had my son in my arms during the whole conversation and I told him..."I carry a gun to ensure my sons and my girlfriends safety. Since Wisconsin law doesn't allow me to conceal my weapon, I am forced to carry openly like I am..

He was very friendly and Curteous throughout our conversation.. I am sure he will appologize when he finds out that store policy allows me to carry in his store...

When I went to leave, the cops werent even in the parking lot.. They were gone.. They had to have seen that I was compelely legal and didn't want to approach me.

This was my first "encounter" while OCing..

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

These type of things will become more prevalent as more people carry. We just need to continue to work on the education aspect.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Every time I have seen LEO in Wal-mart, someone got caught shoplifting. I'd bet that is why they were there and the person lied to you about it. :cuss:

AaronS

imported post

Wally World has been good to me so far. Lets just hope that keeps up. I'm going to guess BrokenSproket is right, just a shoplifting problem, as I am sure all at Wally understand the store policy on open carry in Wisconsin by now.

boostintalon96

imported post

I talked to that manager this afternoon. He appologized and welcomed me to shop armed in his store anytime. He also said that it was a pleasure speaking with me and thanked me for making his store safer.

And he told me that a customer called the police about a man with a gun...

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This type of thing will continue to happen because as the said on the daily show, these are "well funded hate groups." It might even be interesting to use that with LEO. When they say we got a call, we say yea, they had a story on the news about these "well funded hate groups and the fact that they were going to start calling the police all the time. Maybe you guys need to talk with these hate monger about wasting police resources."

Now I know we aren't supposed to talk to police, but this might put an interesting spin on it.

Curmudgeon

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
This type of thing will continue to happen because as the said on the daily show, these are "well funded hate groups." It might even be interesting to use that with LEO. When they say we got a call, we say yea, they had a story on the news about these "well funded hate groups and the fact that they were going to start calling the police all the time. Maybe you guys need to talk with these hate monger about wasting police resources."

Now I know we aren't supposed to talk to police, but this might put an interesting spin on it.

^
Now that IS interesting! :idea:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
This type of thing will continue to happen because as the said on the daily show, these are "well funded hate groups." It might even be interesting to use that with LEO. When they say we got a call, we say yea, they had a story on the news about these "well funded hate groups and the fact that they were going to start calling the police all the time. ....
I hope that this is true and they flood the P.D. with these bogus calls; then it will force the 911 operators to spend a minute verifying if it is a legal carry situation and educate the caller or have THE CALLER contacted by the police for wasting their time.

Dave

boostintalon96

imported post

According to a Lt in waukesha sherrifs dept, the 911 operators are trained to ask certian questions to the caller in order to determine if it is a legal carry situation or not. Supposedly if they determine that it is a legal OC situation they don't send LEOs...

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

boostintalon96 wrote:
According to a Lt in waukesha sherrifs dept, the 911 operators are trained to ask certian questions to the caller in order to determine if it is a legal carry situation or not. Supposedly if they determine that it is a legal OC situation they don't send LEOs...
WOW, all I can say is WOW! IF true, it would be nice to have other departments start to mirror this procedure.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
boostintalon96 wrote:
WOW, all I can say is WOW! IF true, it would be nice to have other departments start to mirror this procedure.
yes, that would be cool.

range rat

imported post

I'm glad to hear you got that cleared up:celebrateI've beenopen carrying at wal-mart over on south 27th street with no problems so far, the managers an sales people seem a-ok with me. I guess it's also how you carry yourself an act that helps. Yea I still get some looks, but I can live with that:dude:..

Packer fan

imported post

boostintalon96 wrote:
He also said that it was a pleasure speaking with me and thanked me for making his store safer.

This statement is very true.

:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

If more stores look at it that way we would have fewer "GFZ." Not only are law abiding armed citizens unpaid armed security, we pay the store to protect them.:p