Thread: Do You?

Post imported post

I have just started to carry every day in the Long Beach area. I carry a Rock Island 1911. I have started practicing loading my gun and have to confess it is not pretty. How do you guys practice, time yourselves. Do you start with mag in gun. Dose any one have advise.
    "If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Post imported post

In my opinion, 1911s suck for UOC if you want to maintain the illusion of 'properly loaded' i.e. cocked and locked. As such, I've only ever OCed 1911s

For non 1911 pattern pistols, its typically a simple matter of empty mag in holstered gun. Drop empty mag on draw while simultaneously bringing up a loaded mag from the offside. Then chamber a round.

I suppose chambering a round on a 1911 where the hammer is already back is technically slightly easier (no need to overcome the mainspring resistance) but the difference would be pretty minimal.

Post imported post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8WEPRaNX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbE70mXSGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJVoc5uJ2e4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhknaDjLFRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srM2qghDFuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

The first two videos are from members here. The others are well,... related to this topic.

Most of us with semi-autos would have an empty magazine in the well to maintain the illusion of being loaded, to carry a 'complete' weapon, and to keep the internals clean.

Watch the videos and practice, practice, practice...
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Well...I would hope that if you were to take on the responsibility of carrying a firearm for your personal protection that you would practice and be well versed in its function and usage.

Not breakin' balls, just sayin'. A better question might be: "who doesn't?"

I carried a firearm with a 'euro' magazine heel style release, biggest PITA ever. I think my fastest, most consistent 'time on target' was with a HK 45 lever release believe it or not.
    Everyone and they're mother seems to hate it, but for some reason it is incredibly intuitive for me, even after a lifetime of using completely different mechanisms.

Post imported post

Hey Ryan..how goes it.

In my humble opinion it may be better to practice dropping the empty while the gun is coming out and straight say the number 2 position, loaded with live mag and ready to present to the 3 and 4 position.

Not sure if on point but to come to ready position you may bowl the gun out to ready as you drop empty and load live mag instead of coming up and out to firing position, then back to ready position when there is no need to fire.

Does that help.

Learned this with 2 day shoot @ Burro Cyn with Bill Carnes two weeks ago. By the way What a great weekend it was!!

I did a lot of bowling...lol

Hope to see you soon...p

Post imported post

i've gotten my time down to just under 3 seconds for draw, swap magazines, cock and pull. i just leave safety off.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
    i've gotten my time down to just under 3 seconds for draw, swap magazines, cock and pull. i just leave safety off.
    That's not bad. I found I could do it in about 2 seconds, but with the slide closed the magazine takes a decent amount of force to insert fully. (Not sure if it's the design or because it's a new gun and needs to be "broke in" more.) It slows me down a bit, but I can do it in about 3-4 seconds while making 100% sure the mag is fully seated.

2-4 seconds is a heck of a lot better than LUCC, which takes me an extra 3 seconds to access my firearm.

However, for 95% or more of SD situations, 2-7 seconds response time might cut it... oh, but that other 5%... no chance at all really.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Post imported post

Be sure you practice every aspect of firearms handling with your weak hand also.

I stress the importance of this because I took a fall on Friday and now have a hairline fracture in my strong hand's thumb very near the wrist.

I am confident that if I need to use my firearm, I can operate it effectively with either hand.

Can you say the same? If not, practice, practice, practice.

Can youinsert amag and chamber a round with only one functional hand?

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    Be sure you practice every aspect of firearms handling with your weak hand also.

I stress the importance of this because I took a fall on Friday and now have a hairline fracture in my strong hand's thumb very near the wrist.

I am confident that if I need to use my firearm, I can operate it effectively with either hand.

Can you say the same?┬* If not, practice, practice, practice.

Can you┬*insert a┬*mag and chamber a round with only one functional hand?┬* ┬*

┬*
    +100 on that!
    Practice, practice, practice!

People at the range look at me funny when I practice drawing from the right side with my left hand. It's tricky at first, but with practice you get it figured out.

Fortunately my pistol has ambidextrous mag release and safety.

Drawing off handed, practice with an unloaded gun until you are really comfortable with it, no accidents, please!

Reloading one handed is really tricky, be ready to drop your mags several times!

It's all about muscle memory, so get to practicing!

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

State Researcher

Post imported post

March Hare wrote:
    Reloading one handed is really tricky, be ready to drop your mags several times!
    Here's a video I came across some time ago and have practiced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzG3Dz7-Lis

I practice this drill with main and off hand - you never know which hand you might have to do it with.

Also, instead of using your boot (which you'll notice requires him to look back, taking focus off a mortal threat), I recommend using your clothing. I can rack the slide by catching the rear sight on my pants pocket without looking. I can do this standing and kneeling. IMO faster and safer.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I am at about 2.5 seconds.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    March Hare wrote:
    Here's a video I came across some time ago and have practiced. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzG3Dz7-Lis

I practice this drill with main and off hand - you never know which hand you might have to do it with.

Also, instead of using your boot (which you'll notice requires him to look back, taking focus off a mortal threat), I recommend using your clothing. I can rack the slide by catching the rear sight on my pants pocket without looking. I can do this standing and kneeling. IMO faster and safer.
    It can also be done effectively if you have a Kydex holster. You just use the top edge of the holster to catch the rear sight.