• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Balls bluff in Leesburg

conhntr

imported post

Balls bluff battlefield And open carry

I believe the park is nvrpa or state but the cemtary is a nat'l historic landmark. The cemetary has a huge no firearms sign citing us code xxx. Is the still in effect or has the nat'l park ruling also applied to nat'l landmarks.

It is ridicoulous that the somber small cemetary a tribute to fallen soldiers on both sides of the battle has a big ignorant sign bannin guns sitting in the middle of it!

Anyone know the deal here? If the ban is no longer in effect we ought to work on getting that ugly sign out of these fallen soldiers resting place

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The National Historic Landmarks program is administered by the National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/nhl/ As such, the same rules apply there as in the rest of the National Parks.

Thank you for volunteering to contact the Superintendent there about correcting the sign.:D (HINT - if you don't do it, who will? Why wait for someone else to step up? IF there is resistance you can call on VCDL for assistance, but I seriously doubt the Superintendent would give much resistance to a suggestion that the judicious use of duct tape or paint might rectify the situation.)

stay safe.

skidmark

conhntr

imported post

Ok I'll man up and contact them. It's a sign on a metal post About as big As a speedlimit sign. I just wasn't sure if the same nat'l park rules Applied. I will post there response here.

conhntr

imported post

Ok copy of the email I sent to the nvrpa careperson is below. Hopefully they have the authority to remove it becuase I don't think the nps ever visits alot of these sites

I am a regular visitor to Balls Bluff and enjoy the well maintained trails, river access, and the battle information posted throughout the park.

My concern is the result of my most recen visit on 5-8. I noticed the large "no guns" signage in the cematary area. Is this area under the nvrpa or nps governance. Neither bans firearms (nat'l park service recently ended their ban). Can you please check into why this signage is still posted (most likely an oversight).

The sign really is out of place, and honestly disrepectful in the cematary for fallen soldiers who died fighting for liberty (both sides). Including our right to keep and bear arms.

I look forward to your response and honestly believe the park will look even nicer with that signage removed

(name removed on open forum)

conhntr

imported post

Spelling aside the nvrpa answered that the cemetary is under the authority of the VA. I'll try to look into their policy during my lunch break before I contact the person responsible.

But the nvrpa contact responded quickly with the contact Info and implicitly agreed the signage should be removed. I've always had good dealings with nvrpa (especially bull run) and I'll give them an A+ forthis episode as well

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well done. Not only in getting the sign issue resolved, but in getting clarification as to the jurisdiction of the various areas.

stay safe.

skidmark

conhntr

imported post

Sorry if my previous post was unclear. Snags is still in place nvrpa contact agreed that it shouldn't be there but does not have authority to remove it. He said the veterans administration put it up and saidthey were required to due to some regulation I have an email out to the. Asking for clarification. Will keep y'all updated.

It's just heartbreakng that the cemetery that looks much like it has since shortly after the war now has an obnoxious sign inthe middle of it that Lois like it was pulled from the side of the highway somewhere

virginiatuck

imported post

Does this help at all?

38 USC 901 authorizes the "rules" of 38 CFR 1.218; the Dept. of Veterans Affairs made it so.

(37) Possession of firearms, carried either openly or concealed,
whether loaded or unloaded (except by Federal or State law enforcement
officers on official business, $500.
(38) Introduction or possession of explosives, or explosive devices
which fire a projectile, ammunition, or combustibles, $500.
(39) Possession of knives which exceed a blade length of 3 inches;
switchblade knives; any of the variety of hatchets, clubs and hand-held
weapons; or brass knuckles, $300.

Here's a question for you... Did the Secretary consult with the Attorney General before prescribing the regulation of arms? I wonder where we could find that answer...