• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry for protection or a reason to sue...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Does it really matter if some OCers are looking for a lawsuit?

Doing so doesn't constitute an act of aggression, as the police are always free to, you know, respect the constitutional rights they are obligated to respect.

There is legal and illegal, aggressive and non-aggressive. It seems to me that trolling for lawsuits is neither aggressive nor illegal (so long as your lawsuits aren't frivolous), and so it's as perfectly valid a reason to exercise the freedom of open carry as is self-defense.

Hell, since it is a freedom and a right, I don't even need a damn reason. I can do it because I felt pink today. Having a good reason, like trying to keep the police in line, seems eminently reasonable to me.

In fact, it strikes me as far more reasonable than posting threads questioning the judgement of others in exercising their rights. It's our *right*; you have no call to be concerned or to question it until it becomes illegal or aggressive.

I don't like rap music, but nobody here would be impressed if I posted threads pondering whether rap music was art or merely "trolling for money". For, while rap may be both or neither, I have no cause to be concerned with how others non-aggressively exercise their freedoms in the first place.

riverrat10k

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
joejoe0621 wrote:
I probably wont reply to anymore posts on this topic, seeing as how its basically turned into a pissing match. I have been keeping tabs on these forums for quite some time for entertainment, ive read and watched plenty of these videos, ranging from some guy acting like a huge with his cell phone in some cops face. to some guy wanting to tote his ar-15 slung around his back... I think ill just keep my gun under my shirt and avoid some rookie blowing my head of for thinking im kidnapping my son...thanks for the insight and your opinions....i hope you all have peaceful encounters and stay out of harms way...
This is not a contest/match of any type. It is is where different ideas, opinions and experiences are shared. If you are not willing to keep an open mind, then you waste your time and ours.

Extreme behaviors or attitudes demonstrated by a small minority are not representative of the whole any more than one reckless driver is emblematic of all who are licensed.

Most here recognize that nothing is often settled favorably with having a roadside debate whether for a traffic infraction or for having a gun on your person, there is a better time and place.

When a LEA or individual LEO will not follow the laws first we try to educate, inform and seek their cooperation. When all else fails or when the act has been egregious enough, using our legal system is frequently the only means.

Surely, you would not suggest to this forum that capitulating or giving in to illegal demands, refusal by those in power to follow the laws or the like is beneficial to anyone - such perpetuates a broken system.

Most posters will tell you they don't care how you carry (OC or CC) as long as you do it responsibly. We do not attack CCers for their choice.

How much do you fear that if a rookie LEO sees your CCd pistol, he will think you are kidnapping your son and blow your head off? Really! Not only is that a cheap shot, it is garbage.

Yata hey
Grape,this is just wonderfully, sensibly,written. Kudos!

steveman01

imported post

joejoe0621 wrote:
ive read and watched plenty of these videos, ranging from some guy acting like a huge with his cell phone in some cops face. to some guy wanting to tote his ar-15 slung around his back... I think ill just keep my gun under my shirt.

May I ask what problem you have with someone "wanting to tote his ar-15 sung around his back"?

I don't care what kind of weapon someone chooses to carry, as long as they have one. Most carry for that "just in case" reason. I would hate to be the one to harp on someone for choosing a certain weapon then have to ask them for cover-fire the day it's needed. Plus, one more man OC'n a gun makes it all the more common, right? Isn't that what it's all about.

If your reason for CC'n is that you don't want do get shot then you might want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTe8M10aQeA

Although the vid is based more around racism it still fits for all. Let's face it someone CC'n is twice as likely to have to use it than someone OC'n. I don't care how or what, just as long as your armed and not a hoplophobe. For that I thank you.

Enjoy!

MK

imported post

Though I think education is a great thing in regards to OC, I have no problem whatsoever with those who choose to challenge LEOs at the threat of a lawsuit.

If a LEO doesn't want to get wrapped up in this, than they should just act legally and appropriately when dealing with people. Too often they use their position of power to trample on people's rights or simply just intimidate them. When they do this, I think its a good thing that they be held accountable if applicable. Its really their choice and no different than a LEO setting up a sting operation to trap a citizen.

Who is there to police the police? That job shouldn't be left completely in the hands of other LEOs. Its ultimately the citizens' responsibility.

Just as we all are responsible for making our own choices when we run afoul of the law, its also any LEOs choice as well. If they are simply uneducated or flat out abusive and corrupt, they need to be turned around and lead in the right direction or even punished if it warrants. Sometimes the most and only effective means to do this, is through a court of law.

I have no problems with anyone setting a LEO up for a potential legal fall if that officer is stupid enough to bite. Likewise, I don't mind a random person being caughtfor thievery through a sting operation. In both casesits their own individual choice to cross that line and both need to be held accountable for that.