• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safe handling and carry of the Taurus PT 24/7

Nevada carrier

imported post

I read in the owners manual for my new Taurus PT 2/47, which is single/double action semi-auto, that the manufacturer does not recommend carrying the firearm with a round in the chamber. It did not specify whether it is only unsafe if you carry the firearm in a cocked state. My understanding is that if you chamber a round and de-cock the firearm it is then in a double action state and the only way a round will discharge is if the trigger is fully squeezed to the rear.

Am I mistaken? Anyone who owns a model such as this please comment if you know. I would be really discouraged to find out that it is a bad idea to carry this make/model with a round in the chamber under either circumstance.

flagellum

imported post

I would guess it just says that for liability reasons.

I have a Taurus as well and it says not to dry fire it by I have done so thousands of times so I think they just write that stuff so you cannot blame the if you break your gun or AD/ND etc.

takemine2

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have the 24/7 and have carried it loaded and de-cocked with no issues. I believe the statement you read is or may berequired by their lawyers in order to possiblylesson any liability on their behalf in the case of a negligent discharge and if an injury is sustained. It may also be there tore-enforce the concept that any loaded gun can be hazardous if unproperly handled by its user orany other other unauthorized or untrained person.

doninvegas

imported post

I have a Sig P232 it has a de-cocking device. The book tells me to use it as it is part of the safety device...carry it with one in the champer after de-cocking is recommended...

Keep your finger off the trigger till you are ready to safely fire the weapon.

Dont know if the gun you have has this safety feature....you might ask the manufacture what and how the de-cocker works....:)

be safe

The Big Guy

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Nevada carrier wrote:
So, how does Taurus recommend carrying their revolvers?

Well, according tothe manual for my brand new just out of the box Taurus 651 (revolver), there is no mention of carrying loaded ready tofire except: page 4 warning number 7, "Always empty firearms before entering a place where there are people." Now of course they don't mention if you should unload into the parking lot or if most places provide targets to unload into. I guess you should walk up to the door of your local Wally World, whip out your piece, unload it, put it back in your holster and go do your shopping.

In this fine read they go on to state, "Firearms rarely cause accidents." Reading further they seem to think that MOST firearm accidents are caused by people. Imagine that.

Brazil, what a country...

(This feeble bit of firearms humor brought to you without charge by...BG

doninvegas

imported post

Was the Manuel written in English?????

Maybe Taurus guns are just safest with out ammo in them...?????:what:

The Big Guy

imported post

gutshot wrote:
The Big Guy wrote:
gutshot wrote:
Nevada carrier wrote:
So, how does Taurus recommend carrying their revolvers?

Well, according tothe manual for my brand new just out of the box Taurus 651 (revolver), there is no mention of carrying loaded ready tofire except: page 4 warning number 7, "Always empty firearms before entering a place where there are people." Now of course they don't mention if you should unload into the parking lot or if most places provide targets to unload into. I guess you should walk up to the door of your local Wally World, whip out your piece, unload it, put it back in your holster and go do your shopping.

In this fine read they go on to state, "Firearms rarely cause accidents." Reading further they seem to think that MOST firearm accidents are caused by people. Imagine that.

Brazil, what a country...

(This feeble bit of firearms humor brought to you without charge by...BG
So, you can only carry a Taurus revolver loaded when there are no people present? Not much good as a self defense weapon, is it? If your confronted by a BG you have to unload. Into him maybe.
If that's the case there will never be any accidental shootings except self inflicted.
NO, you're forgetting, sometimes the revolver could cause the accident, then it would not be self inflicted.