Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teenage robbery suspect shot to death in Gaffney,SC

Post imported post

Teenage robbery suspect shot to death in Gaffney,SC
    Police: Restaurant workers opened fire after 3 a.m. holdup

By Lynne P. Shackleford
    lynne.shackleford@shj.com

Published: Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 3:15 a.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, May 9, 2010 at 2:25 a.m.

GAFFNEY — Employees of a cafe opened fire on three teenagers — killing one and injuring another — after police say the teens robbed restaurant personnel at gunpoint.

Gunfire erupted around 3 a.m. at Sonny's Cafe on Cherokee Avenue when 18-year-old Lloyd Ryan Jefferies, Michael Shaquille Davidson, 16, of Fourth Street, and another 16-year-old male, identified by family members as Calvin Smith, robbed the small, 24-hour cafe, according to Cherokee County sheriff's deputies.

As the suspects — armed with three weapons — attempted to leave, two employees who were armed with handguns fired shots, a news release states. All three suspects were shot and ran from the cafe. Sonny's Cafe was formerly Ozzie's.

Davidson ran to a house on Sixth Street and was taken to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center around 4 a.m. where he died as a result of his injuries, according to Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler. Fowler has ordered an autopsy.

Jefferies was transported to Mary Black Memorial Hospital by a private vehicle and was later charged with armed robbery.

He remains at the Cherokee County Detention Center.

Smith ran across the street and was transported to Spartanburg Regional where he underwent surgery.

The news release states that Smith will be charged with armed robbery as an adult when he's released from the hosptial.

Two of the three weapons the armed robbery suspects allegedly used during the crime have been located, and police are continuing to search for the third gun.

Previous incident

Employees of the cafe were robbed just three days earlier.

Enoch Bonner has been charged with armed robbery in connection with that incident, according to a news release.

Investigators with the sheriff's and coroner's offices are continuing to investigate the latest incident. Sonny's remained closed throughout the day on Saturday.

Post imported post

Man it's sad when teens do stupid things like this and get killed for it. But sometimes you have to learn from your mistakes and when your friend gets killed for it that's one hell of a lesson. I hope those other 2 teens learned from it.

But besides that, good job on the workers for protecting them selves.

Post imported post

They opened fire as the teens were "leaving"????

So won't some DA prosecute them since the threat was over or is SC a state that actually allows citizens to defend themselves and their property?

I say once a person commits a crime (armed robbery in this case), they are responsible for all and any outcome. I also say that if the law was such that we were encouraged to stop the criminal by all means necessary including death, there would be much less crime! From a prior thread I posted that we should shoot to stop the criminal not just the threat. Once the criminal surrenders (and awaits police) we would stop shooting, not before.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

Sonny's Shooting: No Charges For Employees

Solicitor: Deadly Force Acceptable When Defending Life

POSTED: 11:21 am EDT May 10, 2010
    UPDATED: 2:06 pm EDT May 10, 2010

The Seventh Circuit Solicitor will not pursue charges against Gaffney restaurant employees who opened fire on armed robbers over the weekend.

One of the teen robbery suspects was shot and killed during the shootout that happened early Saturday morning at Sonny's BBQ Cafe, according to deputies. (Full Story)

"You have an unfettered right to defend yourself," Trey Gowdy told News 4. "If you reasonably believe you are in danger of losing your life, you may use force up to and including deadly force," said Gowdy.

When asked if the law applied even if the suspects were fleeing, Gowdy said, "How did the employees know they weren't going outside to get a bigger gun? If you are in fear of your life, you can use deadly force."

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office said that Michael Shaquille Davidson, 16, was one of three teenagers shot after robbing Sonny's Restaurant early Saturday morning. Investigators say the three teens were about to leave when two employees opened fire.

"I just want to see justice for my cousin. He was shot down like a dog," said Alex Davidson.

"From what I'm getting, they was running. They was leaving the store; running out of the store," said the teen's uncle and namesake, Michael Davidson. "So I mean, if they was running out of the store, why would you shoot them in the back?"

In an interview that aired Sunday on WYFF News, several family members said they had heard that Davidson and the other two teens had been shot in the back. (Full Story)

Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler would not comment on whether Davidson was shot in the back or front after an autopsy Sunday, but he did confirm that the teen died of gunshot wounds.

The sheriff's office said Sunday morning that they were still going over evidence and waiting for results of a ballistics test to determine exactly what happened inside the restaurant.

Lloyd Ryan Jefferies, 18, is in the Cherokee County Detention Center charged with armed robbery, Gowdy confirmed.

Calvin Smith Jr., 16, will be charged with the same crime when he's released from the hospital, deputies said.

Post imported post

The only shame about this story is that there weren't two additional fatalities.

Post imported post

HRS wrote:
    Sonny's Shooting: No Charges For Employees
    "I just want to see justice for my cousin. He was shot down like a dog," said Alex Davidson.

"From what I'm getting, they was running. They was leaving the store; running out of the store," said the teen's uncle and namesake, Michael Davidson. "So I mean, if they was running out of the store, why would you shoot them in the back?" ....
    Like a rabid dog! I love how family of the criminals don't put any of the responsibility for their actions on the criminals.

Post imported post

Three parts of these stories always iritate me.

First, the employees "opened fire," like they popped up from behind the counter with belt-fed automatics and hosed the place down like Rambo without any regard for who they were shooting at.

Then, two of the three guns "allegedly" used by the "suspects" were recovered. Like there is some doubt as to whether there was a crime commited, or that the perpetrators had guns.

Third, interview with family members and/or friends always question the actions of the victims of their poor little criminals actions. Just once, I'd love to hear someone's uncle say "ya know,Michael was a bad kid. It was just a matter of time until he robbed someone who refused to be a victim. I'm surprised it took this long."

Post imported post

"He was a good kid, turning his life around, getting his GED"

This is what parents of scumbags are supposed to say.
    These folks must have not gotten the memo.

Post imported post

Fleeing armed felons still present an immediate danger to any citizen they may encounter in the commission of the act (escape and evasion). I'm assuming of course that these bandits were still in or on the premises when the employees responded with deadly force. A robbery is not a sporting event. Such felons may be shot from any azimuth/angle that a target (them) may be aquired. That would include a backshot.

Point to remember... if you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Banned

Post imported post

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard, only required within the criminal justice system. The only concern a newspaper might have would be libel. But, the standard for proving libel by a newspaper is pretty high.

IANAL, but IIRC, they have to publish a story that is false. Someone has to be provably damaged by the story. And, the paper had to have known the story was false or have shown a callous disregard for the truth. I think they'd be OK to talk about the "would-be robbers" and their having guns without fear of legal pitfalls. They'd just have to be careful to be portraying what the witnesses said.

It is a style issue that they use terms like "alleged" and "suspect." not a legal one.

Post imported post

Whatever you want to call it, it is still annoying. They should say the employees allegedly shot at thefilthyscumbags that were robbing the store.

Post imported post

groats wrote:
    "He was a good kid, turning his life around, getting his GED"
    I wonder where armed robbery came in, in his big plan of life...

-Richard-

Post imported post

aUTOPSY REVEALED THEY WERE SHOT IN THE FRONT!(sorry for caps)

Post imported post

Sounds to me like they reaped what they had sewn. I have nothing but loathing and disgust for someone who would steal something someone else has worked for.

Post imported post

dadpharm wrote:
    aUTOPSY REVEALED THEY WERE SHOT IN THE FRONT!(sorry for caps)

Do you have proof of that? Not that I'm trying to be a jerk.

I don't care where or why they were shot; those young boys made the choose and that is the hazard of the life style they choose to pursue.

How sexy would it be to walk into a restaurant where all the waitresses were OC?
    I know I would leave a bigger tip.:shock:
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

Post imported post

HRS wrote:

As I said I was trying to be a jerk just wanted proof. This way there is no farther conjectures.
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

"I just want to see justice for my cousin. He was shot down like a dog," said Alex Davidson."

Act like a sick dog....get put down like one. JUSTICE....has been dealt. Your cousin is deceased, never, never to rob again. That IS justice.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    "I just want to see justice for my cousin. He was shot down like a dog," said Alex Davidson."

Act like a sick dog....get put down like one. JUSTICE....has been dealt. Your cousin is deceased, never, never to rob again. That IS justice.
    + 1 gazillion (that is about twice the current national deficit)
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

Ironbar wrote:
    The only shame about this story is that there weren't two additional fatalities.
    Ironbar this is a tragedy no matter how you look at it. While I am prepared to take a life in self defense I certainly do not wish for it to happen. The restaurant employees were prepared to defend their lives and they did. By shooting the robbers they were responding to a threat. I am willing to bet that each of the shooters is mourning the fact that they killed someone although knowing they did the right thing. The good guys did what they had to do, let's not go turning this into something bad by wishing the other two teens that survived had been killed as well. I hope for their sakes that they survive, are punished for their crimes,and get the help they need to turn their lives around and be productive contributors to society.

Post imported post

I'm more inclined to agree with Ironbar.

Now if we REALLY locked them up and kept them there, that might just work. However, the best solution is that the justice system charge them with the felonious, premedetated murder of their co-conspirator and, after a fair trial, are awarded a quick hanging (should they be convicted).
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

All I am saying is although there is much to be thankfull about in this story there is also nothing to celebrate. One man had to take a life and another lost his life. I am sure there are a few people out there that want to die and few that want to kill others. Guns should be kept out of the hands of both.

Of course these young men, criminals, thugs, etc,were in the wrong, and certainly the restaurant workers did the right thing. I just doubt that the restaurant workers would share the sentiment in wishing that they had killed all of the teens. If I were one of the restaurant employees that killed one of these boys, I could not get on my knees every night and ask my maker to remove from this life those that survived. The blood of one of those young men on my hands would be painful enough to bear although knowing I was justified in every way.

Instead of wishing for their death I would plead with God with every fiber of my being that those of my assailants that survived their wounds would recover and face the demands of Justice, and that mercy be shown equal to their penitence. I am thankful that time has tempered my emotions.

Post imported post

Rottie wrote:
    All I am saying is although there is much to be thankfull about in this story there is also nothing to celebrate. One man had to take a life and another lost his life. I am sure there are a few people out there that want to die and few that want to kill others. Guns should be kept out of the hands of both.

Of course these young men, criminals, thugs, etc,were in the wrong, and certainly the restaurant workers did the right thing. I just doubt that the restaurant workers would share the sentiment in wishing that they had killed all of the teens. If I were one of the restaurant employees that killed one of these boys, I could not get on my knees every night and ask my maker to remove from this life those that survived. The blood of one of those young men on my hands would be painful enough to bear although knowing I was justified in every way.

Instead of wishing for their death I would plead with God with every fiber of my being that those of my assailants that survived their wounds would recover and face the demands of Justice, and that mercy be shown equal to their penitence. I am thankful that time has tempered my emotions.
    Actually there is much to celebrate.

GOOD PEOPLE went home safely and criminals did not.

Your GOD (not mine) made those bullets fly true and find their marks.

The blood of a POS thug ass criminal on the hands of a good honest citizen trying to make an honest living SHOULD NOT put one grain of concern into the honest citizens heart when he lays his head down on his pillow at night. For many it does but that is a function of a society that has completely lost touch with nature and the natural instinct to SURVIVE which is best done not by burying ones head in the sand not by becoming a sheeple, not by seeking out danger, but by absolutely and positively engaging deadly force with deadly (and more effective) force.

GOOD PEOPLE do not seek violent confrontation, they do not want it, they do not ask for it, but by damn they can not be told to turn the other cheek. Rather, they need to be told that if confronted by armed men with mayhem in their thoughts, they may fire at will to protect their souls without worrying about some dickhead arm chair states attorney with an agenda pressing charges.

Beretta92FSLady

Post imported post

We-the-People wrote:
    Actually there is much to celebrate.

GOOD PEOPLE went home safely and criminals did not.

Your GOD (not mine) made those bullets fly true and find their marks.

The blood of a POS thug ass criminal on the hands of a good honest citizen trying to make an honest living SHOULD NOT put one grain of concern into the honest citizens heart when he lays his head down on his pillow at night. For many it does but that is a function of a society that has completely lost touch with nature and the natural instinct to SURVIVE which is best done not by burying ones head in the sand not by becoming a sheeple, not by seeking out danger, but by absolutely and positively engaging deadly force with deadly (and more effective) force.

GOOD PEOPLE do not seek violent confrontation, they do not want it, they do not ask for it, but by damn they can not be told to turn the other cheek. Rather, they need to be told that if confronted by armed men with mayhem in their thoughts, they may fire at will to protect their souls without worrying about some dickhead arm chair states attorney with an agenda pressing charges.

Calm down we-the-people. I never suggested that anyone burry their head in the sand or become a sheeple, neither have I ever said to turn the other cheek. In fact I have stated throughout my posts that the restaurant employees did the right thing. I also never stated that they are not good people. Go back and read the posts. I stated also that the young criminalsshould be punished, and that mercy commensurate with remorse be shown to them. This means in essence no remorse, no mercy!

You assert that "The blood of a POS thug ass criminal on the hands of a good honest citizen trying to make an honest living SHOULD NOT put one grain of concern into the honest citizens heart when he lays his head down on his pillow at night." Well maybe you are right in that it "SHOULD NOT", but you are wrong in that it does! I doubt the good guys in the original post gave each other high fives after shooting these kids. I doubt their families gave them high fives either. But I bet they hugged their families and expressed feelings of thankfullness they are alive.

I feel empathy, not for those who were in the wrong, but for those who were in the right. The criminals are learning a hard lesson and dealing with the negative consequences of their wretched actions. The good guys on the other hand are dealing with the fact that they had to kill. This is not easy. I have a good friend who returned from Iraq and has been diagnosed with PTSD. Not because he was injured or had buddies killed, but because he had to kill enemy combatants. He was justified and right in what he was doing, but he has trouble sleeping andlost his marriage. He has few social relationships because of his crazy moods and side effects of his medications. I don't celebrate his sleeples nights, wrecked marriage, and few close friendships. I haven't thrown him a party to congratulate him on taking out a few of the bad guys; he'd punch me in the face if I did. Instead I thank him for his service and don't minimize the fact that sometimes doing the right thing can be very painful. He tells me that the expressions of gratitude of those around him does dull the pain, but it doesn't stop the nightmares.

We-the-people, if you still hold fast to your belief that "a good honest citizen trying to make an honest living SHOULD NOT put one grain of concern into the honest citizens heart when he lays his head down on his pillow at night", then you have spent too much time playing video games and watching action movies where the hero kills the bad guys, gets a parade, and the girl of his dreams. In reality, there are no celebratory parades; just quiet and lonely moments,and in my friends case and others like him, you end up losing the girl of your dreams. Your philosophy doesn't stand up to reality and I suspect there are enough of us on this forum who have had these real life experiences or personally know someone who has, who can tell you you're wrong!

Stay safe we-the-people and may you never be put into the position to test out your theories. From what I know and have experienced, you'll be dissapointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast