• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun fails! Then what?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

This topic is firearm related in that you are under attack and your handgun jams or has some type of failure for which you are unable to recover in time. The only solution is to throw the handgun on the ground (or reholster...if you have time)but have you prepared for plan B or plan C?

*I practice close quarters strikes almost daily.

*I hit an 80 Lb. bag on a regular basis (I need a heavier bag) Does any one know if I can put sand in the top of the bag to make it heavier?

*I use a gripper on a regular basis to strengthen my grip (strong hands in the right place is helpful).

*I have a pocket knife that I have practiced with (last ditch effort).

*I have pepperspray.

*I have my fists (probably try this before I pull out the knife).

I have started this thread in part because I want people to keep in mind hand-to-hand combat might be your only option. I am curious how others prepare for this possibility?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't carry a pocket knife or anything else, other than keys. I do carry a Sig, which has a hell and back reputation and I am confident it will not fail. I have carried my Keltec for years and its small size/weight makes it so easy. I feel I am adequately prepared.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Glock owner, huh?

Nope. I am not a polymer kinda woman. I like to have something nice and heavy to hit someone with just in case it fails.

gogo:

I understand that what you carry is reliable and you believe in your sidearm...hopefully we all believe in the sidearm we carry. I just wonder if others practice self-defense outside of drawing a handgun and pulling the trigger.

amzbrady

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
Glock owner, huh?

Nope. I am not a polymer kinda woman. I like to have something nice and heavy to hit someone with just in case it fails.

gogo:

I understand that what you carry is reliable and you believe in your sidearm...hopefully we all believe in the sidearm we carry. I just wonder if others practice self-defense outside of drawing a handgun and pulling the trigger.
Get yourself a highpoint, very reliable, and accurate. Plenty heavy enough to clean somebodies clock if you hit them with it. If you have to drop it, well not much of a loss since they only run about a buck fifty.

Hammer

imported post

First option: clear whatcha got. I practice this regularly. Since you by your scenario rule that out- and it could happen, no matter how reliable you "think" your weapon is....
Next: BUG I have several different ones to choose from, depending on the dress and circumstance
Next: another weapon, meaning knife, pepper spray, baton, or what might be at hand.
Next: hand-to-hand. If you consider this one of the possibilities, you need to practice what you intend to do. If you're gonna have some kind of Marquis of Queensbury rules, fine. But any street fight goes first to the most ruthless. It's not a fight to slow or warn, it's a fight to incapacitate and or neutralize with extreme prejudice.
The story is old, but worth telling. A MMA fighter got into a street fight. He had his opponent in a submission hold, but when the BG tapped out, he let him up. BG killed the MMA fighter.
It's not a fight of rules. It's a death match. Do you have the mental and physical preparation to kill another with your bare hands?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Next: hand-to-hand. If you consider this one of the possibilities, you need to practice what you intend to do. If you're gonna have some kind of Marquis of Queensbury rules, fine. But any street fight goes first to the most ruthless. It's not a fight to slow or warn, it's a fight to incapacitate and or neutralize with extreme prejudice.
It's not a fight of rules. It's a death match. Do you have the mental and physical preparation to kill another with your bare hands?
I practice striking critical areas and joint lock that are not mean to subdue if your know what I mean;) I have always trained with that reality in my mind--that if it is hand-to-hand I better give it all I got right out of the gate, especially if it is a man that I am dealing with because if brute strength and endurance were tested I would lose quick (I don't train to box...I train to incapacitate). I would love to try and run away but I have severe allergies and asthma--turning my back would only compromise me more than I am already compromised.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Grab their balls and twist and yank.
Still trying to find some one who will let my partner and I try this one on. No takers yet, for some reason.
LOL, good luck. I have given my two teenage daughters this advice and explained that it is not about being nice it is about living.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Still trying to find some one who will let my partner and I try this one on. No takers yet, for some reason.
LOL, good luck. I have given my two teenage daughters this advice and explained that it is not about being nice it is about living.
I have taught my daughters that they need to be ruthless when fighting in order to survive. I think that is the best route to teach the girls.

Hammer

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
I have taught my daughters that they need to be ruthless when fighting in order to survive. I think that is the best route to teach the girls.
Amen. It's the right idea, but it does not come naturally. It requires decision making before the fight comes up. Once it's understood one will survive, and one will not, it's easier to decide which that will be and how hard to fight to make it so. Joints to incapacitate. Eyes and testes as tender bits. Throat to stop it all.