• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun fails! Then what?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Grab their balls and twist and yank.
Still trying to find some one who will let my partner and I try this one on. No takers yet, for some reason.
LOL, good luck. I have given my two teenage daughters this advice and explained that it is not about being nice it is about living.
I have taught my daughters that they need to be ruthless when fighting in order to survive. I think that is the best route to teach the girls.
Amen. It's the right idea, but it does not come naturally. It requires decision making before the fight comes up. Once it's understood one will survive, and one will not, it's easier to decide which that will be and how hard to fight to make it so. Joints to incapacitate. Eyes and testes as tender bits. Throat to stop it all.
I have always trained to go towards my attacker because that is the lst thing they expect from a female. Get in there hit some critical spots. I teach my daughters and coach them to move in close when under attack and target specific areas hard and fast.

killchain

imported post

Clear the pistol. If it fails again, it depends on if the goblin has a gun. If he does, egress like a mofo. If not, move up, stomp on his shin, wrap him up and choke him out.

Combatives for the win.

kparker

imported post

keep in mind hand-to-hand combat might be your only option. I am curious how others prepare for this possibility?

I train with a local fellow who is a contract trainer of unarmed combat for the folks at Ft Lewis (no, I'm not going to try to remember the new "Joint Base" thingie at this hour of the evening...)

1245A Defender

imported post

dont holster or drop your gun if it jams!!
its harder and heavier than your fist, hit with that jammed gun, while you go for your knife with your other hand, and slash away!!
id only hit with my fists, if i didnt have anything hard, heavy and sharp in them!!!

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Who here actually thinks that a Glock isn't heavy? If you think that, I'll let you hold my G21 with 13 rounds in the mag. Seriously folks, the weight difference in most guns isn't enough to make a difference when throwing the gun at a person. My Glock will hurt just the same as a 1911 if thrown at someone.

1245A Defender

imported post

its all in the wrist!!:celebrate

i wouldnt want to get hit with a glock, a 1911 or a kel-tec!!

i dont think i would want to get hit by sylvia either:what:

even a jammed-up gun is a good weapon!! in close combat!

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

My partner has a G-26 and even that little thing would make a great back-up brick.

I would not want to be his my Sylvia either;)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I don't carry a bug cuz I don't like having to carry my CPL. I clean gun regularly and hope it never jams. Other than that if it comes to fighting I grew up in some bad neighbor hoods, and in a tough family ( not that I am tough) but I can take a hit and keep ticking and many times that is as important as being able to hit.

oneeyeross

imported post

I don't carry bugs because I normally step on them and squish them...

I have years of karate training behind me, and one thing Shihan Funikoshi told us at a seminar once: "On the street, there are no rules. Use what you have to use to stay alive. If that means a rock, stick, knife, club...use what you need to use."

(Not the original Funikoshi, his great nephew or something like that...Kenneth Funikoshi)....

I now walk with a cane...and let me tell you, a cane is a sure-fire self defense weapon in it's own right... In the hands of someone who knows how to use it, a walking stick/cane is a deadly weapon.

Ravenhawk

imported post

80lbs is fine . . Get in real close (chest inches from bag) and use shorter punches moving the bag with shorter punches gets best results and better trains for your scenario.

Doing above workout should strengthen wrist/hand further preventing possible gun jams too!

You'd be surprised at how effective hollering/screaming at opponent is.

Sorry to say but a gun jam IMO is like missing a punch . . could cost you a fight, practice, practice, practice.

As for BUG's . . I just keep in mind if I ever need a BUG its safe assuming your primary gun hand is unavalible due to injury/occupied and I keep BUG readily available to free hand - They useless if you cant reach or need to rack a round in the heat of battle.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Carry a BUG. Like the Samurai of old, carry a back up weapon in a "Daisho" (Japanese for "Large/Small" referring to the two swords the Samurai carried).

Generally I advocate a BUG that weights less than two spare loaded magazines, not a problem with todays polymer or aluminum weapons. I recommend this over carrying spare magazines.

For example, in the case of your main weapon being rendered inoperable (arm being hit, broken part, terrible jam, weapon torn from your hand, etc) a second weapon is instantly available.

Just make certain you pick a BUG that you are confident in and are willing to go into a fight and WIN even if it is all you have. Same, similar caliber is one path.

I carry a Glock 29 as backup to my Bren, giving me 25 rounds total.

Matt85

imported post

if my CZ were to jam, it has a steel frame with a full length dust cover. thats an almost 3 pound piece of steel to hit someone with.

-matt

Aryk45XD

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Put your fingers through someone's eyes and twist.  Grab their balls and twist and yank.  The two most sensitive places on a male body.
don't forget the throat and nose. I usually practice tap, rack, but i've had other training. Also remember, when a threat has a weapon, it may also be their weakness. People rely on that weapon and forget to protect themself. Practice practice practice all factors and find the easiest solution your body and mind will have no problem learning to become reaction.
I once jumped over the counter at work, ran out the door. Caught up to the thief, passed him and ran to his car. Took a look at the driver with my hand cocked back. I stayed there, while the thief ran into the pass side. They sped off while I shouted, "thanks for the plate#!" I had never practiced running after a perp who stole an item that only costed $3. I could not legally attack either of them, but the cops sure had a laugh and my co-workers were pretty entertained as well. It was just reaction, but as I ran, I thought it out.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I understand the need to be able to defend one's self outsidesimply pulling a trigger, and advocate hand-to-hand techniques, impact weapons, chemical agents, etc... but I think that the potential situation that the above replies are based on is not completely relevant. It's an escalation of force issue. (Which is why the BUG carriers are right on, here.)

If I've gotten to the point of having my defensive firearm jam/broken/etc...in a situation where I am battling someone for my life, I'm sure as hell not going to want to revert to eye jabs and groinkicks when a second before I was trying to shoot the perpetrator. If it's gotten to the 'trigger-pulling point' there is nothing else that will solve a jammed gun than unjamming or presenting another gun and continuing the trigger-pulling until the problem has resolved itself.

I agree that not everyone needs to be shot, which is why the other methods are good to know and employ, but if you're at the point of needing a gun, not much else will do.

-I'm G20 and I carry two guns.

jarhead1911A

imported post

this is a thread worth discussing in OCDO i personally would hope my weapon fires as it was intended to but if for some reason it did not i have several options, Is my attacker armed with a firearm?

IF he is then its time to perform a tactical retreat, If he/she is not then i need to decide if my life is in such danger than i would need to engage them in H2H if i decide that H2H is required to servive then its in my best intrest to take out my attacker with as few moves as possible as im not 18 anymore and my energy is what it used to be.

As i think it was pointed out earlier in this thread the twig and berries are a good option, so is a dead blow to the nose as they wont be able to see anything past that, if you can get behind them u could always choke them out or put them in a arm bar with a nicely placed knee in just about anything on there body dead center mass will also stop the attack PTQ

Just my 2 thoughts