• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you don't take a beer bottle to a gun fight...

TFred

imported post

If he had only been carrying a real weapon...

TFred
Good Samaritan shot 4 times in Caroline robbery, suspect flees

May 9, 2010 12:00 am

Caroline sheriff's deputies are searching for a man they say shot a good Samaritan four times while trying to rob a gas station last night.

According to Lt. J.H. Crowder of the Caroline County Sheriff's Office, a man entered the Mr. Fuel gas station in the Carmel Church area displaying a gun and demanding money around 9:36 p.m..

A customer entered the store and saw what was going on. He grabbed a beer bottle from the refrigerator cases at the back of the store and struck the suspect in the back of the head, Crowder said.

The suspect turned and shot the man at least four times, Crowder said, striking him in the head, shoulder and both legs.

The suspect fled the store by foot and has not been located, Crowder said.

The victim was transported to Mary Washington Hospital for treatment. His condition is unknown at this time.

A video surveillance photo of the suspect shows a black male between the ages of 35 and 45, wearing a black t-shirt and blue jeans. He is described as being between 6-feet and 6 feet 2 inches tall.

That photo will be released to the media soon.

No money was taken and no one else was hurt.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call the Caroline County Sheriff's Office at 804/633-5400.

--Portsia Smith, fredericksburg.com

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Obviously it wasa lite beer.

Shoulda used a bock beer or dark ale.

:)

I hope he comes through all right. Gotta admire the courage and willingness to do something about it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just to play the thread-drift "What if" game -- :uhoh:

So there you are, minding your own business trying to rob a convenience store when this dude sneaks up behind you and starts whaling away at the back of your head with a beer bottle. Isn't that a clear threat of death or great bodily harm?

So do we call the thing a "clean shoot" or not?:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

* Yes, I know all about the Felony Murder rule and that the shooter is in big trouble even if the bottle-beater survives.

nova

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Just to play the thread-drift "What if" game -- :uhoh:

So there you are, minding your own business trying to rob a convenience store when this dude sneaks up behind you and starts whaling away at the back of your head with a beer bottle. Isn't that a clear threat of death or great bodily harm?

So do we call the thing a "clean shoot" or not?:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

* Yes, I know all about the Felony Murder rule and that the shooter is in big trouble even if the bottle-beater survives.
Please explain.

Regardless of whether the law covers it, if someone is trying to do me great bodily harm or kill me by hitting my body's CPU, I'm gonna put that threat down anyway I can.

If it's illegal, then lets just say I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

TFred

imported post

There was a thread here a few months back about a guy who went to buy a small amount of pot, but got ambushed, and had to shoot the dealer or one of his associates, to save his own life.

The end answer was that even though his life was at risk, all claims for justification were moot, because he was engaged in illegal activity at the time. I don't have the cites in my head, feel free to search for the thread.

When you are engaged in illegal activity, the choice changes to "live in a cage, or lie in a very dark box".

TFred

Fenris

imported post

TFred wrote:
When you are engaged in illegal activity, the choice changes to "live in a cage, or lie in a very dark box".
In a lot of places it's really the same choice even when you're minding your own business and doing nothing more serious than walking and chewing gum at the same time.

A lot of hoplophobes/liberals don't just want to ban guns, but want to ban any form of self defense. They would rather have an innocent person die than defend themselves. It really is a mental disease.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Citizen wrote:

I hope he comes through all right. Gotta admire the courage and willingness to do something about it.

You need a magnum for something like this. A champagne magnum.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Citizen wrote:

:D:D:D (I shoulda thought of that!)

Dreamer

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:

Yeah, I'll bet that beer was a "40"...

Should have used a "magnum"...

Or a "Colt .45"...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:

Yeah, I'll bet that beer was a "40"...

Should have used a "magnum"...

Or a "Colt .45"...

I like this one better....best baseball uniform ever!

HOU_1094.gif

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
Just saw that Channel 7 had a news story on this, and posted the video. The robber had already fired twice when the hero took action. I hadn't seen that reported in any of the print press.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0510/734555_video.html?ref=newsstory

TFred

Just watched it. Under those conditions I would have to act as well. The BG had shown by his actions if this man had not acted the outcome would have been bad.