• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Oklahoma in danger of veto

Arkyhog

imported post

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33857-Fort-Smith-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d9-Oklahoma-open-carry-law-in-danger-of-veto

I promise, I’m not even going to touch the “wild west” subject.

The Tulsa World is reporting Governor Brad Henry is now waffling on signing HB 3354, the Open Carry bill.

Gov. Brad Henry said Friday that he has concerns about an open-carry gun bill sent to him for consideration…

Even though he “hasn’t had time to review the measure”, he is saying he is unsure whether he will sign it or not.Governor Henry says the Oklahoma State Trooper Association opposes the measure due to safety reasons and he is apprehensive:

I will have to say, I share some of the concerns that have been expressed to me by law enforcement that the open carry makes their job more dangerous," he said. "It makes it more difficult for them to distinguish between the bad guys and the good guys. So, I will take all that into consideration. I haven't made a final decision yet.

The Oklahoma State Trooper Association should give some examples of how their job will be made “more dangerous”.

You can read the rest of this article at Examiner.com.

ClevelandCarry

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've always been of the opinion that if law enforcement doesn't like law abiding citizens to be armed, then they need to find another job.

I too want to know how it makes their job more dangerous, and would like to see statistics that show how many people who can legally carry have fired shots at law enforcement officers.

Since many law enforcement officers took the job just so they can carry a weapon and wear entirely too much black clothing, they may not like this perk being granted to citizens.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Arkyhog wrote:

Even though he “hasn’t had time to review the measure”, he is saying he is unsure whether he will sign it or not.Governor Henry says the Oklahoma State Trooper Association
opposes the measure due to safety reasons and he is apprehensive:

I will have to say, I share some of the concerns that have been expressed to me by law enforcement that the open carry makes their job more dangerous," he said. "It makes it more difficult for them to distinguish between the bad guys and the good guys. So, I will take all that into consideration. I haven't made a final decision yet.

Yeah...cuz the bad guys always wear their guns where everybody can see it....:cuss:

ClevelandCarry

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Arkyhog wrote:

Even though he “hasn’t had time to review the measure”, he is saying he is unsure whether he will sign it or not.Governor Henry says the Oklahoma State Trooper Association
opposes the measure due to safety reasons and he is apprehensive:

Yeah...cuz the bad guys always wear their guns where everybody can see it....:cuss:
No kidding, like a thin cotton covering is what kept criminals from committing firearm related crimes.

For as long as I can remember, any time a law was going to be passed where citizens could carry a firearm, there were cries of "wild west scenarios" and gunfights breaking out over parking spots.

At some point, isn't the media going to ask when that has ever happened?

okiephlyer

imported post

I personally appreciate those of you that haveweighed in on this issue here on this forum. Now I ask you to take the next step and write the Governor with your thoughts.

http://www.gov.ok.gov/index.php

This is the link directly to his page. Under the "Contact" tab there is a link to send a message to him and request a reply by mail.

Thanks in advance for all that contribute.