• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M1 Garand

TheWarrior

imported post

Due to the recent handgun legislation in my home state of Californuts, I'm very interested in a rifle. I'm getting settled on a M1 Garand, but I also know little about rifles.

What is a GOOD PRICE for one?? Any advice?

Don Barnett

imported post

Go to CMP. I ordered an M-1 the day after the General Election and it arrived in January.

It was in nice condition, but you get the "luck of the draw". All of them are serviceable. Mine had a new stock; a few dings here and there on the metal finish; serial numbers on parts don't match, but so what.

TheWarrior

imported post

All right. Thanks guys.

A friend of mine tells me I need to get a Saiga or an SKS instead. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any input here; I'm leaning towards the Garand, but anyone with a better knowledge, please step in!

thnycav

imported post

The M1 would be a better choice then the Russian weapons. You can fire 308 7.62x51 NATO out of it. The Russian weapons cost less but I think you do get less. I have a Lee Enfield in 7.62 10 round magazine.

Lurkus Maximus

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thnycav wrote:
The M1 would be a better choice then the Russian weapons. You can fire 308 7.62x51 NATO out of it. The Russian weapons cost less but I think you do get less. I have a Lee Enfield in 7.62 10 round magazine.
You can get the Saiga in 7.62x51 for less than $500. Check this forum for all the details on how to legally convert it from it's imported hunting rifle form with 10 round mags back to the original style AK form with 20 and 25 round mags:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/

For the price, you really can't beat it but, if money was no object, you bet I'd have a Garand!

jag06

imported post

I have a garand, they are fun to shoot. My dad bought a kit, a tanker version, which was a fun, long, frustrating process. Because it was a tanker and they did not mass produce it, you have to modify the action bar to fit. I would go with one over the sks personally. As for price I cant say whats a good price for one these days. Go to a local gun show, they usually have several for sale. Check out the cmp site linked, its pretty good. They also have some for sale around $500 it looks like.

open4years

imported post

I don't have a M1 though I've shot them. I have a M1 Carbine but that is a different animal. For me, I want one only based upon it's use in wars, sorta a bit of history. Everytime I pick one up, I think of all those soldiers carrying such a heavy weapon and all the other stuff they carried.

I enjoyed shooting them. I don't hunt, but if I did the M1 wouldn't be my first choice. I don't know if you are seeking a newly made M1 or one of the ones made and possibly used in warfare. Troups weren't supposed to keep their weapons, but my Dad kept his M1 Carbine and I inherited it. It is .30 caliber and much lighter and I know mine was used in WWII by my father. That makes it priceless to me.

thnycav

imported post

open4years wrote:
I don't have a M1 though I've shot them. I have a M1 Carbine but that is a different animal. For me, I want one only based upon it's use in wars, sorta a bit of history. Every time I pick one up, I think of all those soldiers carrying such a heavy weapon and all the other stuff they carried.

I enjoyed shooting them. I don't hunt, but if I did the M1 wouldn't be my first choice. I don't know if you are seeking a newly made M1 or one of the ones made and possibly used in warfare. Troups weren't supposed to keep their weapons, but my Dad kept his M1 Carbine and I inherited it. It is .30 caliber and much lighter and I know mine was used in WWII by my father. That makes it priceless to me.

The M1 is a fine weapon. You could use it to hunt with 308 is a good round. The .30 carbine was based on a pistol cartridge.

I do understand your attachment to the carbine you have. you should try to get more documentation such as maybe some photos of him with the weapon. I do agree with you it is priceless when you can put a name and a face to a weapon. I would never give it up as well. But like I said all the photos and maybe some letters if you have them as to how he was issued and his opinion of the weapon. That will make a great display.

open4years

imported post

thnycav wrote:
open4years wrote:
I don't have a M1 though I've shot them. I have a M1 Carbine but that is a different animal. For me, I want one only based upon it's use in wars, sorta a bit of history. Every time I pick one up, I think of all those soldiers carrying such a heavy weapon and all the other stuff they carried.

The M1 is a fine weapon. You could use it to hunt with 308 is a good
round.  The .30 carbine was based on a pistol cartridge.
I do understand your attachment to the carbine you have.  you should try to get more documentation such as maybe some photos of him with the weapon.  I do agree with you it is priceless when you can put a name and a face to a weapon. I would never give it up as well. But like I said all the photos and maybe some letters if you have them as to how he
was issued and his opinion of the weapon.  That will make a great display.

I meant that 'I' wouldn't want to hunt with a M1 because of how heavy it is.

As for getting photos and documentation, my Father's word is good enough for me. I mean no offense and it would be nice, but I have all of his war photos and the ones of him were taken at a supply base and no one was carrying. The other photos of him show him standing at his brothers grave. Dad got to see him the day before he was killed by a machine gun.

Even if I had a photo of him carrying the carbine, it wouldn't prove it was the carbine I have. Yes, I know about the .30 caliber. The round was found to be not very effective as compared to the M1, .45, etc.

thnycav

imported post

open4years wrote:
thnycav wrote:
open4years wrote:

The M1 is a fine weapon. You could use it to hunt with 308 is a good
round. The .30 carbine was based on a pistol cartridge.
I do understand your attachment to the carbine you have. you should try to get more documentation such as maybe some photos of him with the weapon. I do agree with you it is priceless when you can put a name and a face to a weapon. I would never give it up as well. But like I said all the photos and maybe some letters if you have them as to how he
was issued and his opinion of the weapon. That will make a great display.

I meant that 'I' wouldn't want to hunt with a M1 because of how heavy it is.

As for getting photos and documentation, my Father's word is good enough for me. I mean no offense and it would be nice, but I have all of his war photos and the ones of him were taken at a supply base and no one was carrying. The other photos of him show him standing at his brothers grave. Dad got to see him the day before he was killed by a machine gun.

Even if I had a photo of him carrying the carbine, it wouldn't prove it was the carbine I have. Yes, I know about the .30 caliber. The round was found to be not very effective as compared to the M1, .45, etc.
No that is what I mean not saying he did not do it. It just gives the weapon a unique history.

open4years

imported post

I understand and I meant no disrespect. I am one of two children. I have no contact with my sister and her family. I initiated this due to reasons not appropriate to post here. I am not married and I have no children, and I certainly don't my sister to get AND to profit from my research. So, although I do wish I had photos of him holding it, it would only be important, to me, if I did have children or relatives to pass it on to. I think most of the men who served with him have passed on as have his other two brothers.

I do have one very sick (old meaning) souvenier he brought home and wore around his neck for many decades. It was the front gold teeth from a dead Japanese soldier who was already dead. My Dad showed to everyone and shared his sick story of how he used his rifle butt (maybe the carbine I have) to knock them out.

My father was devastated by his youngest brother's death and he quit believing in God that day. (I changed that by sitting by his deathbed for days and talking to him about the miracles God has performed in
my life. I told him he had two choices: His son is a liar or God exists.)

I don't want them, nor the gold from them, nor will I give them to anyone. Actually, I want to bury them next to my Dad's grave. I would like to believe that he sees things differently now as those teeth belonged to someone's Dad, brother, husband, uncle, cousin, etc.

That was off subject but I guess I needed to share it with someone.

TheWarrior

imported post

open4years wrote:
(I changed that by sitting by his deathbed for days and talking to him about the miracles God has performed in
my life. I told him he had two choices: His son is a liar or God exists.)
Good for you.

OTOH...wow this thread has changed. :lol:

Broondog

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
All right. Thanks guys.

A friend of mine tells me I need to get a Saiga or an SKS instead. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any input here; I'm leaning towards the Garand, but anyone with a better knowledge, please step in!
ok, back on topic. :)

well, so far you have given us three choices of rifles you might be considering but you have yet to tell us of your intentions with this rifle.

hunting? if so, what kind of critters?
target shooting?
plinking fun?
all of the above?
another reason such as home defense?

i own 2 Garands, 3 SKS's from different countries and 4 different AK platforms (of which the Saiga is just another of). i would like to help you make an informed decision if i can.

jayspapa

imported post

I just got through priceing a Saiga 7.62 X 39 today. I can get the rifle and 500 rounds of Silver bear FMJ ammo for $520.00.

I am not looking to punch tight groups with it out to 500 yrds. I just want a cheap s h t f rifle for the same basic reason as you describe.

zoom6zoom

imported post

The M1 would be a better choice then the Russian weapons. You can fire 308 7.62x51 NATO out of it.

Not if it's chambered in .30-06, as most of them were. In addition, you shouldn't use commercial .30-06 ammo unless you install an adjustable gas plug. The higher pressures of commercial ammo can damage the op rod.

thnycav

imported post

The M1a does fire 7.62 x51 it is the civilian version of M14. The Army uses as the M21 Sniper rifle. I did qualify with it.

Yes some 308 as well as 30 06 is too hot for the military rifles. I fire the Lee Enfield 2A which is chambered for 308 and is a great rifle 10 rounds.