• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Seattle

FmrTSgt

imported post

Hello,
I'll be visiting Seattle in June for a week and would like some clarification on gun carry/transport. I won't have my Utah CCW back by then. :cry:

1. It is my understanding that I can transport my pistol in my car rental UNLOADED either open-carry or cased in unrestricted public areas under jurisdiction of state laws.....is this correct?

2. It is also legal for me to maintain a pistol in my hotel room as well as transport it to and from my vehicle....correct?

3. When transporting it to and from my vehicle I can either OC or may be concealed per:

RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms...

"(9) in public any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper"

Is this correct??

I have a The Wilderness-Safepacker, would this be a sufficient "case" ?

Most of my time will be spent in the Seattle area with my wife's family and they're not keen on the idea of open-carry so that's pretty much out of consideration :( But I'd like to verify my reading of the various statutes pertaining to the carry and transport of pistol and ammo.....your assistance is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Also, I plan to shop for a Blackpowder pistol at Cabelas,etc and maybe a decent AK too, This is legal according to state law right??

THANKS!!

END_THE_FED

imported post

Sounds to me like you got it right.

One note about your Hotel room, you CAN keep the pistol loaded in the room. If you choose to keep it on your person you can OC or CC.

Also the law states that when you leaveyour pistolin your carthe car must be locked and the pistol must be "hidden from publicview".

When you are in the car with the pistol the pistol must be unloaded but can be anywhere in the car andCAN be storednext to the mag. you can have it in your holster,in your pocket**, in your glove box, on the seat in front of you,you can even , as many on this forum have said and many will say again, duct tape the mag to the gun and the gun to your forehead and it would be legal.

**EDIT: You CAN NOT conceal a pistol loaded or not on your person without a CPL(now that I think about it I wanna slap myself for typing that, dont know what I was thinking, damn grave shifts make my loopy sometimes) Thanks for the correction Defender

1245A Defender

imported post

END_THE_FED wrote:
Sounds to me like you got it right.

One note about your Hotel room, you CAN keep the pistol loaded in the room. If you choose to keep it on your person you can OC or CC.

Also the law states that when you leaveyour pistolin your carthe car must be locked and the pistol must be "hidden from publicview".

When you are in the car with the pistol the pistol must be unloaded but can be anywhere in the car andCAN be storednext to the mag. you can have it in your holster,in your pocket, in your glove box, on the seat in front of you,you can even , as many on this forum have said and many will say again, duct tape the mag to the gun and the gun to your forehead and it would be legal.
with out a CPL!!! you may NOT put your gun in your pocket!!!! anywhere except your abode!!
in your car, you can OC it, or it can be out in the open, on the seat or taped to your head...
it must be UNLOADED,,, even in the trunk or the glove box!!
you may conceal it in the car under the seat, in a box,, but NEVER on your person..
YOU may NOT have a loaded gun in a CAR at all!!!
you may carry it LOADED ONLY when out of the car,, and then only open carried,, unless in your abode (motel room)
i hope you have a nice visit, i have tried to instill the correct letter and spirit of the laws here in Washington so that you will have an uneventful trip!

amlevin

imported post

Word of caution, do NOT leave your firearm in a Hotel Room unless they have a safe you can secure it in or some other equally secure method. Hotel staff members come and go from rooms and things like computers, cell phones, cameras, i-pods, and FIREARMS can grow legs. Anything that can be sold for quick cash.

Sounds like a NO BRAINER but it's amazing how many of the above items are stolen. Some have been sold before the owner even notices their absence when they get back from dinner or whatever.

If your "Hotel" is really just a Motel, lock the items you want to keep in your car if you are going to be out of the room. Better hotels often have a small in-room safe that you canstore a lap-top or pistol in. You then get to select your own combination to lock it and some just use the code strip on your credit card to lock and unlock.

FmrTSgt

imported post

THANKS!

To clarify....I was thinking about the safepacker to use in the car (obviously mag in the side pocket) and to use to transport to and from vehicle and parking lot/curb.....I'm not seeing any specific requirements for gun and ammo to be in SEPARATE carriers.

As I stated, my wife's family would be whining if I were to OC, so for the most part I probably won't when they're around. If I do, I have a Serpa paddle.

As for the BP pistol....the Ruger was in fact the pistol I was looking at getting, I have one already and as restrictive as Hawaii is it is surprising we have no registration on these. But looking at the reference provided it does not specifically state a modern "replica" or modern manufactured BP :(

Lammo

imported post

FmrTSgt wrote:
THANKS!

To clarify....I was thinking about the safepacker to use in the car (obviously mag in the side pocket)
Make sure to also clear the chamber. Unloaded in WA means completely empty (I bring this up because you mention your UT permit and WA is different from UT on thispoint). Enjoy your visit!

j2l3

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Word of caution, do NOT leave your firearm in a Hotel Room unless they have a safe you can secure it in or some other equally secure method. Hotel staff members come and go from rooms and things like computers, cell phones, cameras, i-pods, and FIREARMS can grow legs. Anything that can be sold for quick cash.

Sounds like a NO BRAINER but it's amazing how many of the above items are stolen. Some have been sold before the owner even notices their absence when they get back from dinner or whatever.

If your "Hotel" is really just a Motel, lock the items you want to keep in your car if you are going to be out of the room. Better hotels often have a small in-room safe that you canstore a lap-top or pistol in. You then get to select your own combination to lock it and some just use the code strip on your credit card to lock and unlock.

Do you say this from personal experience?

I have worked in hotel security for over 6 years, all of it as security director. More than one hotel. Not once in that time has an employee been accused of stealing from a room and the charge being true. Almost always it was someone the guest gave a key to, or they left the room open while they went down the hall. Most often it is another hotel "guest" who is the thief.

Frequently, the guest who made the accusation, finds the item and never lets us know. Sometimes they do, but even more rarfely is an apology offered for the false accusation of hard working, honest people.

You do the hard working service people in hotels a disservice by painting them with such a broad brush.

FmrTSgt

imported post

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Can anyone verify that "Modern" manufacture BP like the Ruger can be purchased at cabelas or elsewhere w/o residency requirement paperwork....or is this only "pre-98 Antiques."

How about a longgun? looking at an AK...friggen WASR10 is $795 here :shock: Arsenals are $14-$1600 :cuss:

If not, I'll leave my rifle case at home and my shopping is gonna be a bust, the wife and kids will have more money to spend on theirs :(

Lammo

imported post

FmrTSgt wrote:
THANKS EVERYONE!!

Can anyone verify that "Modern" manufacture BP like the Ruger can be purchased at cabelas or elsewhere w/o residency requirement paperwork....or is this only "pre-98 Antiques."

How about a longgun? looking at an AK...friggen WASR10 is $795 here :shock: Arsenals are $14-$1600 :cuss:

If not, I'll leave my rifle case at home and my shopping is gonna be a bust, the wife and kids will have more money to spend on theirs :(
Don't know about the black powder Ruger but I will try to answer the long gun question. Short answer, Yes, you should be able to buy an AK or other long gun in WA.

Here is the Washington law for non-residents: RCW 9.41.124 Purchasing by nonresidents

Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside.
[1970 ex.s. c 74 § 2. Formerly RCW 19.70.020.]
- - - - - -

So, as long as he/she is not an ineligible person, a non-resident can purchase guns in WA to the extent allowed by Federal law. Under 18 US Code 922(a)(3) it is unlawful for a non-licensee to bring into or receive in their home state a firearm purchased outside of their home state, except as provided in 18 US Code 922(b)(3). 18 US Code 922(b)(3) provides:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), . . .

- - - - -
So, handguns no, long guns yes.

I thought I remembered that sales were allowed only to residents of adjacent states but that does not appear to be the case in WA (maybe it was in another state I was looking at).

FmrTSgt

imported post

Lammo...THANKS FOR THAT. I looked, but I guess I missed that one. I'll bring my annual long-gun "permit to acquire" to show I am not prohibited from purchasing in my home state. I'm hoping I can get the Ruger too.

END_THE_FED

imported post

FmrTSgt wrote:
THANKS EVERYONE!!

I am not sure what the law is regarding non resident purchases of these weapons but any time (unless specifically noted) the term "antique firearm" is used in Chapter 41 of the RCW it means:"a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade"

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

FmrTSgt

imported post

YEA! going shopping and stimulate the Washington economy on my visit :celebrate

FmrTSgt

imported post

So I found this little gem on the Cabelas website :cuss:

http://www.cabelas.com/community-customerservice-gun-restrict.shtml

"All firearms purchased by Hawaii residents from a Cabela's retail location must be shipped to an FFL dealer in the state of Hawaii."

This is getting ridiculous. Any money I would have saved would be lost in shipping and fees. So much for that! Plus woulda been good getting my Cabelas points for purchase.

Anybody have recommendations for gunshops in the SeaTac or nearby areas I could try. Especially looking for a WASR and the Ruger blackpowder "Old Army" pistol.

Mahalo!...for all the assistance!