• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Staying overnight in hotel

mwright

imported post

Hello all,

I have searched the forums for gun-laws pertaining to staying in a hotel overnight in Tennessee to no avail. My question:

My mother will be traveling from Florida to Ohio (alone)and will be stoping in Tennessee overnightand would like to be able to bring her .357. I know that for the trip she will need to lock the gun up and put both it and the ammo in seperate compartments out of reach.

However, will she be able to bring it into the hotel and load it for personal protection overnight? (Barring hotel restrictions). She keeps it just for protection in her home and has no permits.

Thanks in advance for your help!

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Does she have a concealed weapons license? Your OP implies she does not but is not clear.

If she does not have a license, there are different laws in every state she will travel. In Tennessee, Tenn. Code § 39-17-1308(a)(3)(C) allows a person to carry a handgun without a permit on his or her premises. A private hotel room should qualify under this provision. However, until a person is within his or her hotel room, a handgun would need to be unloaded and not carried concealed on or about the person.

Also be aware that when she gets to Ohio, there are very cumbersome rules specified in Ohio Rev. Stat.§ 2923.16 for possessing and transporting firearms in vehicles, violations of some of which are punishable as felonies. A person who does not have a concealed handgun license recognized in Ohio must transport the handgun unloaded and unload all magazines and speedloaders capable of being used to load the handgun.

If your mother has a concealed weapons license, all of this (except Ohio's car carry rules for CHL holders) is moot. If she does not have one, she needs to learn the different rules for each state and you should encourage her to get a license to avoid these problems in the future.

mwright

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Does she have a concealed weapons license? Your OP implies she does not but is not clear.

If she does not have a license, there are different laws in every state she will travel. In Tennessee, Tenn. Code § 39-17-1308(a)(3)(C) allows a person to carry a handgun without a permit on his or her premises. A private hotel room should qualify under this provision. However, until a person is within his or her hotel room, a handgun would need to be unloaded and not carried concealed on or about the person.

Also be aware that when she gets to Ohio, there are very cumbersome rules specified in Ohio Rev. Stat.§ 2923.16 for possessing and transporting firearms in vehicles, violations of some of which are punishable as felonies. A person who does not have a concealed handgun license recognized in Ohio must transport the handgun unloaded and unload all magazines and speedloaders capable of being used to load the handgun.

If your mother has a concealed weapons license, all of this (except Ohio's car carry rules for CHL holders) is moot. If she does not have one, she needs to learn the different rules for each state and you should encourage her to get a license to avoid these problems in the future.
Thank you for your time in looking these codes up! She has no permits at all as she only uses it for home defense. She feels a little unsafe being in a hotel by herself. I told her that she will be better off keeping the gun locked and ammo seperate until she reaches Tennessee for the night where she can bring it into her hotel room and load it for the night.
My purpose in this was to double check the legality of a loaded personal firearm in a private hotel room in Tennessee (with no in-state or out-of-state permits).