Thread: Popped an open carry cherry

Post imported post

So a couple days ago my next door neighbor was doing some yardwork in his yard, and I was doing some in mine, and was open carrying as usual. Him and I talk politics and guns on a regular basis, and he carries most of the time but has never open carried. He was getting ready to return a piece of rental equipment when we got onto the topic of open carry, and I remembered I had a shoulder holster that would fit his Glock 21, and offered it up if he wanted to use it. As he was trying it out I asked if he'd consider OC, and offered to ride along with him to return the rental while OC, and he accepted. We OC'd to the rental place up in Tacoma, and then OC'd in Ace Hardware in Lakewood, and back home with (almost) no weird looks that I noticed, and no guff from anyone. An almost completely uneventful OC, and I got to pop his open carry cherry! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

This is me in the truck he drove to return the equipment, and I had the door open the whole time! At one intersection a vehicle pulled up alongside us, and a young looking girl looked out the window and got a :what:look on her face and turned away. I didn't pay much attention till she rolled down the window and said "Hi" with a half timid, half smiling look on her face, and I just replied "Hey!" with a smile as we started forward.

EDIT TO ADD: He may very well join us at Denny's on Saturday :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

Very cool, and well done. I remember my first time outside of OC meets was a lil nerve racking, was just me and the wife, and we went to a couple stores. It's good you helped your friend to get a healthy first taste - I hope to be at Denny's too, see ya guys there.

Bat
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

Paddy, when you ride 'shot gun' can you substitute a hand gun for the shotgun?

Post imported post

My first time was all by myself. Why were't you there to help me? JK
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

G22, how much did you pay for your holster?

Post imported post

Great job. It's always fun to get someone started on OC.:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    I wanna say around $40 at Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood. It's made for a G26 but the back of the front sight blade doesn't extend past the bottom, and I like the look of it sticking out a little. Had the front sight extended completely beyond I wouldn't have bought it due to risk of it hanging up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
    Aaron1124 wrote:
    I wanna say around $40 at Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood. It's made for a G26 but the back of the front sight blade doesn't extend past the bottom, and I like the look of it sticking out a little. Had the front sight extended completely beyond I wouldn't have bought it due to risk of it hanging up.
    Ohh ok. I've been looking for a similar holster to fit my Ruger P95, but I'm having the most difficult time. My gun is too wide for all of the holsters I've tried out.

Post imported post

Sweet!

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle and OC. Problem is I don't have a motorcycle.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

killchain wrote:
    Sweet!

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle and OC. Problem is I don't have a motorcycle.
    That can be a real buzzkiller.:quirky
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

killchain wrote:
    Sweet!

I do it I like it. Motorcyclist run into rude people on the road quite a bit who don't like sharing the road. I found OC tends to make them behave better. You should see tthe look of :what:from Canadian drivers.

I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Very cool. I was all alone too. But only after all of you helped me out. :celebrate

Post imported post

Attitudes have really changed over the last decades.

When I was a young sappling back in the dim dark days of the '60's, I would often open carry a .22 rifle across my shoulder while riding my Honda 305 out to the Purdy dump to plink rats. No one gave me a second look.

Imagine a 17-18 year old kid riding his cylce with a rifle over his shoulder and 500 rounds bungie corded to the seat. Try that today and see if you make it 1 mile down Hywy 16.

Bill

Post imported post

having someone with you on the first time would make it much less nerve racking. when i OCed for the first time i was sweating bullets the whole day.

-matt

Post imported post

Bill45

I remember setting in that dump with the lights off, waiting and then turning them on as the rats ran over the bank while all of us opened fire.