• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Popped an open carry cherry

.45ACPaddy

imported post

So a couple days ago my next door neighbor was doing some yardwork in his yard, and I was doing some in mine, and was open carrying as usual. Him and I talk politics and guns on a regular basis, and he carries most of the time but has never open carried. He was getting ready to return a piece of rental equipment when we got onto the topic of open carry, and I remembered I had a shoulder holster that would fit his Glock 21, and offered it up if he wanted to use it. As he was trying it out I asked if he'd consider OC, and offered to ride along with him to return the rental while OC, and he accepted. We OC'd to the rental place up in Tacoma, and then OC'd in Ace Hardware in Lakewood, and back home with (almost) no weird looks that I noticed, and no guff from anyone. An almost completely uneventful OC, and I got to pop his open carry cherry! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

This is me in the truck he drove to return the equipment, and I had the door open the whole time! At one intersection a vehicle pulled up alongside us, and a young looking girl looked out the window and got a :what:look on her face and turned away. I didn't pay much attention till she rolled down the window and said "Hi" with a half timid, half smiling look on her face, and I just replied "Hey!" with a smile as we started forward.

dscn2203.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: He may very well join us at Denny's on Saturday :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Batousaii

imported post

Very cool, and well done. I remember my first time outside of OC meets was a lil nerve racking, was just me and the wife, and we went to a couple stores. It's good you helped your friend to get a healthy first taste :) - I hope to be at Denny's too, see ya guys there.

;)Bat

Squeak

imported post

Paddy, when you ride 'shot gun' can you substitute a hand gun for the shotgun?:lol:

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
G22, how much did you pay for your holster?
I wanna say around $40 at Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood. It's made for a G26 but the back of the front sight blade doesn't extend past the bottom, and I like the look of it sticking out a little. Had the front sight extended completely beyond I wouldn't have bought it due to risk of it hanging up.

Aaron1124

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
G22, how much did you pay for your holster?
I wanna say around $40 at Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood. It's made for a G26 but the back of the front sight blade doesn't extend past the bottom, and I like the look of it sticking out a little. Had the front sight extended completely beyond I wouldn't have bought it due to risk of it hanging up.
Ohh ok. I've been looking for a similar holster to fit my Ruger P95, but I'm having the most difficult time. My gun is too wide for all of the holsters I've tried out.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

killchain wrote:
Sweet!

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle and OC. Problem is I don't have a motorcycle. :)

I do it I like it. Motorcyclist run into rude people on the road quite a bit who don't like sharing the road. I found OC tends to make them behave better. You should see tthe look of :what:from Canadian drivers.

Bill45

imported post

Attitudes have really changed over the last decades.

When I was a young sappling back in the dim dark days of the '60's, I would often open carry a .22 rifle across my shoulder while riding my Honda 305 out to the Purdy dump to plink rats. No one gave me a second look.

Imagine a 17-18 year old kid riding his cylce with a rifle over his shoulder and 500 rounds bungie corded to the seat. Try that today and see if you make it 1 mile down Hywy 16.

Bill

Matt85

imported post

having someone with you on the first time would make it much less nerve racking. when i OCed for the first time i was sweating bullets the whole day.

-matt

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bill45

I remember setting in that dump with the lights off, waiting and then turning them on as the rats ran over the bank while all of us opened fire.