• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in State Forests....still going and going and going

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://news.oldva.org/?p=32939

I did my weekly checking on the VDOF rule making procedure today and as usual, McDonnell’s office is keeping quiet, at least with me.
I did do a little extra calling, and just as I had assumed, VDOF is waiting for input from the Governor. I want to take the heat off of VDOF because they’re doing just what the law prescribes.
I am holding McDonnell’s feet to the fire though. I asked one pointed question of McDonnell during several conference calls. “Will you enforce your Attorney Generals Opinion concerning guns on state land”. The answer has always been “YES”.
His actions as Governor haven’t been as positive. So far, he has ignored the situation.
This is still in a holding pattern.

Fenris

imported post

I just called the governor's office and talked to someone giving them my opinion. Give 'em a call.

(804) 786-2211

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

peter nap wrote:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=32939

I did my weekly checking on the VDOF rule making procedure today and as usual, McDonnell’s office is keeping quiet, at least with me.
I did do a little extra calling, and just as I had assumed, VDOF is waiting for input from the Governor. I want to take the heat off of VDOF because they’re doing just what the law prescribes.
I am holding McDonnell’s feet to the fire though. I asked one pointed question of McDonnell during several conference calls. “Will you enforce your Attorney Generals Opinion concerning guns on state land”. The answer has always been “YES”.
His actions as Governor haven’t been as positive. So far, he has ignored the situation.
This is still in a holding pattern.
I'll give the Governor's office a call on Tuesday.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I admit to some disappointment since McDonnell has taken office. He has signed those pro bills that have come to his desk, but has shown no inclination to take the initiative. He seems to have slipped to the middle of the road. He has followed rather than lead the march to freedom.

There are things he could have done already to help solve some of the deficiencies within Virginia's agencies and colleges, but his silence on these issues is fast becoming the dominate theme. Saying the right words before the election and the sitting down to remain silent on these issues afterward is duly noted.

Time to stand up and use the force of your office Bob, whether by directive or executive order. Doing nothing is but a small measure better than those that would further restrict our rights. Therein sits the problem, my disappointment.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

For anyone that isn't familiar with the chain of events..

McDonnell as AG wrote an opinion that said in essence, State agencies didn't have the authority to regulate guns.

During the Campaign, he promised to enforce that opinion if elected.

During that time, VDOF went to Kaine and his Chief Adviser and asked for his direction considering the AG opinion.

Kaine told them that he didn't care what the AG said, he wasn't going to make them follow it.

McDonnell was elected and shortly after, VDOF started the rulemaking process (With VCDL's prodding)...but they didn't consult McDonnell before publishing the proposed rules.

At the public comment session, 100% in attendance were VCDL members and in favor of both open carry and CC in State Forests. (The proposed rules only call for CHP holders)

One of the VCDL Board Members gave a factual and well presented speech about OC CC on state land.

According to VDOF, there were no plans to ask McDonnell for his input as they had already completed the required notification and approvals.

Someone (can't say who) wrote some uncomplimentary articles about VDOF spitting in McDonnell's beer (and a few other things) and made sure McDonnell's PR people and the Secretary of Agriculture, got them.

For whatever reason, VDOF decided to get the Governors Guidance which hasn't happened yet.

All through this, VCDL has been working with the Governors office in a quiet and steady manner. I couldn't say exactly what they've done so far other than they are working on it and are trying not to destroy the relationship in the meantime. Nothing wrong with that.

Depending on what McDonnell does, this could go into the final 30 day comment period, start from scratch again or just be dropped altogether.

I've stopped slamming them for a couple of reasons.

1. VDOF is on the right track now.

2. McDonnell has a world of hurt coming down on him now and stepping on someone's toe that is having their leg amputated...doesn't have much effect.

3 VCDL is working on it and I don't like interfering either as a member or a loose cannon.

My main Concerns are:

1. McDonnell has always had a spotty pro Second Amendment record.

2. McDonnell has already demonstrated that he will back peddle on his own AG opinions.

3. McDonnell will go with whoever screams the loudest.

4. Some of McDonnell's staff have proven in the past that they don't care much for the gun lobby.

5. This is related to #3, what will offend the least number of voters. VDOF is primarily a rural matter. It's not like Restaurant Reform, where many CHP holders are involved, it's in areas that really don't attract droves of people and therefore probably won't get him in too much trouble as long as he doesn't say or do anything blatantly anti gun.

So there it is in a nutshell:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Peter its choosing political expediency rather than maintaining the high ground, doing the right thing.

If it were a more volatile issue like self-defense on campuses, I could better understand it - but this is only extends the right to carry in the woods and fields in the same manner as is done in the big city right down Main St. :banghead:

One set of rules throughout the state, will make it easier for honest people to stay honest.

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Peter its choosing political expediency rather than maintaining the high ground, doing the right thing.

If it were a more volatile issue like self-defense on campuses, I could better understand it - but this is only extends the right to carry in the woods and fields in the same manner as is done in the big city right down Main St. :banghead:

One set of rules throughout the state, will make it easier for honest people to stay honest.

Yata hey
It's a tale of two Governors:

In Praise of Governor Chris “Kratos” Christie
In the four months since Chris Christie was sworn in as the 55th Governor of the state of New Jersey, he’s earned himself a few nicknames and prayers for his death.

“Governor Krispy Kreme” or Governor Bully by his Leftist detractors on most NJ websites where they congregate. A liberal Newark Star-Ledger columnist prefers the double-entendre of Governor Wrecking Ball. Admirers, including George Will, have appropriated the name of a local minor league team for the Governor - the Trenton Thunder.

Me? Geek that I am, I call him Governor Kratos.

Anyone who decides, as Christie clearly has, to take on what one of the most powerful and corrupt political machines in the country without so much as a moment of hesitation, is surely as brave as a mortal deciding to go kill a god or face a 100 foot Titan without flinching.

It’s not so much that Chris Christie is a Conservative, it’s the sheer bloody-minded courage of the man that leaves your jaw on the ground. I don’t believe there’s any mainstream high-profile politician in America today that’s more fearless than New Jersey’s new Governor. And what’s even more awe-inspiring about it is that this is not the false courage liberals in the media rave about when a Republican violates his promises to the GOP base and votes for higher taxes, endorses Democrats, attacks other Republicans or defects, i.e. does something they approve of and would reward with softball doe-eyed interviews on Sunday morning and plenty of hagiographical column space - that actually takes no courage whatsoever.

The usual Republican response to such boilerplate criticism is to run and hide, afraid to go further lest they be labeled - heaven forbid - “controversial”. Christie instead pounded back.

Over and over again, where a typical politician would attempt to duck, punt or compromise, Christie instead dons his armor, unsheathes his sword and charges straight into the breach, swinging all the way.

Whether or not Christie is going to succeed in his quest to transform New Jersey into a state worth investing in, remains to be seen. But this is what is called leadership and I hope elected Republicans everywhere are taking note of how its done.

I wonder if our Bob "for jobs" McDonnell is taking note?

Repeater

imported post

TFred wrote:
Repeater wrote:
That is an excellent article! You quoted a portion of it, I highly recommend reading the whole thing! I only wish President Bush had adopted some of Christie's methods...

TFred
But will Bob "for Jobs" learn from Christie's example?

In fact, others are paying attention:

N.J. gov. sets tone for US

Christie has become the politician so many Americans crave, one willing to lose his job. Indeed, Christie is doing something unheard of: governing as a Republican in a blue state, just as he campaigned, making good on promises, acting like his last election is behind him.