Thread: My fiance is good to me. (WTB Mossberg 500)

Post imported post

So, I've been begging and begging to get another gun. (*crack of the whip*.... yes, yes, i know.) My fiance finally agreed that for my wedding present, I can get a Mossberg 500 that she would pay for.

I'm looking for a Mossberg 500, preferably with a home defense barrel and a rifled slug barrel for hunting. I would prefer one in good condition, and one that is tapped, so that when I use it for home defense, I'll be able to mount a rail on it. It doesn't matter to me if it's registered as a pistol or not, I have a CPL. FTF only please. Let me know what you have and what you want for it.

Thanks for reading.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Post imported post

wow, are our fiancées related? mine keeps asking me if i want her to buy me a gun for my birthday, christmas and any other excuse. i think a lot of women find it sexy when men are able to defend them!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Post imported post

I agree. She thinks it's very sexy that I carry, however she absolutely refuses to learn to use it on her own.

I work midnights.

One day soon hopefully.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Post imported post

once i get mine moved up here from maryland this summer, she'll be going to the smellslikemichigan firearms bootcamp
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Post imported post

See, mine likes to think that she can just learn to use my gun on the fly. Granted, it IS a locked and loaded Glock, so it's literally point and shoot, but the time to learn isn't when there's someone breaking into the house, especially if you're not at least somewhat used to the recoil of a .40 Glock 23 (Lots of felt recoil compared to other guns imo)

I'm slowly working on it... I've moved her from being extremely anti-gun, to thinking that me carrying a gun is sexy. It may be two steps forward, one step back sometimes, but eventually she's gonna get there.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    I agree. She thinks it's very sexy that I carry, however she absolutely refuses to learn to use it on her own.

I work midnights.

One day soon hopefully.
    Im in the same boat as you Malignity in that aspect.
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    So, I've been begging and begging to get another gun. (*crack of the whip*.... yes, yes, i know.) My fiance finally agreed that for my wedding present, I can get a Mossberg 500 that she would pay for.

I'm looking for a Mossberg 500, preferably with a home defense barrel and a rifled slug barrel for hunting. I would prefer one in good condition, and one that is tapped, so that when I use it for home defense, I'll be able to mount a rail on it. It doesn't matter to me if it's registered as a pistol or not, I have a CPL. FTF only please. Let me know what you have and what you want for it.

Thanks for reading.
    Dunhams (Madison Heights) has Mossberg 500 with field and slug barrels for $279 (I believe). You can order the home protection barrel (18" Cylinder Bore) for $82 from the Mossberg website. This might be the "cheap model" that does not include the different chokes, but those can be ordered also.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
    malignity wrote:

Thanks for reading.
    Dunhams (Madison Heights) has Mossberg 500 with field and slug barrels for $279 (I believe). You can order the home protection barrel (18" Cylinder Bore) for $82 from the Mossberg website. This might be the "cheap model" that does not include the different chokes, but those can be ordered also.
    Hm.. I might be up to that possibility. I imagine being a new Mossy, it'd be tapped to allow for a rail too, eh? That'd save me $60 or so. And if I really wanted, if I'm not mistaken, I could just saw down the field barrel to legal home defense size, couldn't I? (Yeah, pain in the ass, and I probably wouldn't, but just entertaining the possibility)

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    PDinDetroit wrote:
    malignity wrote:

Thanks for reading.
    Hm.. I might be up to that possibility. I imagine being a new Mossy, it'd be tapped to allow for a rail too, eh? That'd save me $60 or so. And if I really wanted, if I'm not mistaken, I could just saw down the field barrel to legal home defense size, couldn't I? (Yeah, pain in the ass, and I probably wouldn't, but just entertaining the possibility)
    $82 goes a long way in utilizing the shotgun for Home Protection (18"), Deer Slug Gun (24"), and Waterfowl (26-28").
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

As long as it's tapped to receive a tactical rail when in home defense mode, I'll be happy. I want a reflex sight on it for the home. :celebrate

Always been a fan of those. Dunno why, they've always just been intriguing to me.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    As long as it's tapped to receive a tactical rail when in home defense mode, I'll be happy. I want a reflex sight on it for the home. :celebrate

Always been a fan of those. Dunno why, they've always just been intriguing to me.
    Both my 500A and 500C (cheaper model - matte blued finish) have the "receiver" drilled and tapped. The slug barrels came with a scope mount and scope attached.

I will probably not make them MI Pistols and Open Carry them...

Post imported post

All of the old mossbergs aren't tapped for some reason... its a new thing aparently, but a good thing.

As for whether or not I will register it as a pistol, I havent decided yet. Can I still hunt with it during hunting season as long as I treat it as a long gun when it classifies as a long gun?

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    All of the old mossbergs aren't tapped for some reason... its a new thing aparently, but a good thing.

As for whether or not I will register it as a pistol, I havent decided yet. Can I still hunt with it during hunting season as long as I treat it as a long gun when it classifies as a long gun?
    Yes
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

That's what I figured. Groovy, thanks

Post imported post

If your looking for a deal, check out gander mountain. I've seen some nice used 500's there.

If your looking for new, also consider the 590's. they have dual extractors and are pre-drilled for scopes or rails.

I have a 590 tactical myself.

Post imported post

Do 590's have rifled barrels as well?

It's gonna be a home defender for about 10 months outta the year, but I wanna be able to replace the barrel and use it for hunting for the other 2 months.

As far as Gander Mountain goes, to me, it seems their prices have literally SKYROCKETED. The combos at Dunhams are like $279, and the same exact thing at Gander Mountain is like $400. I don't know why this is, but it's crazy. I would LIKE to get my gun at Gander Mountain because I have like $50 in gift cards there, but I'm not willing to pay $120 more for an identical item.

Post imported post

Check Dick's Sporting Goods. When I bought mine 2 years ago they had the best price on new Mossberg 500 combos. They carry both deer/field combo and deer/HD combo.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    Do 590's have rifled barrels as well?
    No, I *think* they are all smooth bore but I'm not sure. There are always rifled slugs. :P

Post imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
    They carry both deer/field combo and deer/HD combo.
    !!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to Dicks.

That's what I'm lookin' for. Thanks! lol.. hopefully prices are still good.

Post imported post

Just went to Dick's and they said they never carried a deer/HD combo. I guess you got lucky. They wanted $349 for a standard combo atm and said to wait til deer season for prices to drop.