• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My fiance is good to me. (WTB Mossberg 500)

malignity

imported post

So, I've been begging and begging to get another gun. (*crack of the whip*.... yes, yes, i know.) My fiance finally agreed that for my wedding present, I can get a Mossberg 500 that she would pay for.

I'm looking for a Mossberg 500, preferably with a home defense barrel and a rifled slug barrel for hunting. I would prefer one in good condition, and one that is tapped, so that when I use it for home defense, I'll be able to mount a rail on it. It doesn't matter to me if it's registered as a pistol or not, I have a CPL. FTF only please. Let me know what you have and what you want for it.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wow, are our fiancées related? mine keeps asking me if i want her to buy me a gun for my birthday, christmas and any other excuse. i think a lot of women find it sexy when men are able to defend them!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

malignity

imported post

I agree. She thinks it's very sexy that I carry, however she absolutely refuses to learn to use it on her own.

I work midnights. :banghead:

One day soon hopefully.

malignity

imported post

See, mine likes to think that she can just learn to use my gun on the fly. Granted, it IS a locked and loaded Glock, so it's literally point and shoot, but the time to learn isn't when there's someone breaking into the house, especially if you're not at least somewhat used to the recoil of a .40 Glock 23 (Lots of felt recoil compared to other guns imo)

I'm slowly working on it... I've moved her from being extremely anti-gun, to thinking that me carrying a gun is sexy. It may be two steps forward, one step back sometimes, but eventually she's gonna get there. :lol:

Recoil88

imported post

malignity wrote:
I agree. She thinks it's very sexy that I carry, however she absolutely refuses to learn to use it on her own.

I work midnights. :banghead:

One day soon hopefully.
Im in the same boat as you Malignity in that aspect.

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
So, I've been begging and begging to get another gun. (*crack of the whip*.... yes, yes, i know.) My fiance finally agreed that for my wedding present, I can get a Mossberg 500 that she would pay for.

I'm looking for a Mossberg 500, preferably with a home defense barrel and a rifled slug barrel for hunting. I would prefer one in good condition, and one that is tapped, so that when I use it for home defense, I'll be able to mount a rail on it. It doesn't matter to me if it's registered as a pistol or not, I have a CPL. FTF only please. Let me know what you have and what you want for it.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading.
Dunhams (Madison Heights) has Mossberg 500 with field and slug barrels for $279 (I believe). You can order the home protection barrel (18" Cylinder Bore) for $82 from the Mossberg website. This might be the "cheap model" that does not include the different chokes, but those can be ordered also.

malignity

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
malignity wrote:

icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading.
Dunhams (Madison Heights) has Mossberg 500 with field and slug barrels for $279 (I believe). You can order the home protection barrel (18" Cylinder Bore) for $82 from the Mossberg website. This might be the "cheap model" that does not include the different chokes, but those can be ordered also.

Hm.. I might be up to that possibility. I imagine being a new Mossy, it'd be tapped to allow for a rail too, eh? That'd save me $60 or so. And if I really wanted, if I'm not mistaken, I could just saw down the field barrel to legal home defense size, couldn't I? (Yeah, pain in the ass, and I probably wouldn't, but just entertaining the possibility)

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
malignity wrote:

icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading.

Hm.. I might be up to that possibility. I imagine being a new Mossy, it'd be tapped to allow for a rail too, eh? That'd save me $60 or so. And if I really wanted, if I'm not mistaken, I could just saw down the field barrel to legal home defense size, couldn't I? (Yeah, pain in the ass, and I probably wouldn't, but just entertaining the possibility)
$82 goes a long way in utilizing the shotgun for Home Protection (18"), Deer Slug Gun (24"), and Waterfowl (26-28").

malignity

imported post

As long as it's tapped to receive a tactical rail when in home defense mode, I'll be happy. I want a reflex sight on it for the home. :celebrate

Always been a fan of those. Dunno why, they've always just been intriguing to me. :)

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
As long as it's tapped to receive a tactical rail when in home defense mode, I'll be happy. I want a reflex sight on it for the home. :celebrate

Always been a fan of those. Dunno why, they've always just been intriguing to me. :)
Both my 500A and 500C (cheaper model - matte blued finish) have the "receiver" drilled and tapped. The slug barrels came with a scope mount and scope attached.

I will probably not make them MI Pistols and Open Carry them...

malignity

imported post

All of the old mossbergs aren't tapped for some reason... its a new thing aparently, but a good thing.

As for whether or not I will register it as a pistol, I havent decided yet. Can I still hunt with it during hunting season as long as I treat it as a long gun when it classifies as a long gun?

autosurgeon

imported post

malignity wrote:
All of the old mossbergs aren't tapped for some reason... its a new thing aparently, but a good thing.

As for whether or not I will register it as a pistol, I havent decided yet. Can I still hunt with it during hunting season as long as I treat it as a long gun when it classifies as a long gun?
Yes

Michigun

imported post

If your looking for a deal, check out gander mountain. I've seen some nice used 500's there.

If your looking for new, also consider the 590's. they have dual extractors and are pre-drilled for scopes or rails.

I have a 590 tactical myself.

malignity

imported post

Do 590's have rifled barrels as well?

It's gonna be a home defender for about 10 months outta the year, but I wanna be able to replace the barrel and use it for hunting for the other 2 months.

As far as Gander Mountain goes, to me, it seems their prices have literally SKYROCKETED. The combos at Dunhams are like $279, and the same exact thing at Gander Mountain is like $400. I don't know why this is, but it's crazy. I would LIKE to get my gun at Gander Mountain because I have like $50 in gift cards there, but I'm not willing to pay $120 more for an identical item. :(

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Check Dick's Sporting Goods. When I bought mine 2 years ago they had the best price on new Mossberg 500 combos. They carry both deer/field combo and deer/HD combo.

malignity

imported post

Just went to Dick's and they said they never carried a deer/HD combo. :( I guess you got lucky. They wanted $349 for a standard combo atm and said to wait til deer season for prices to drop. :(