• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Invite to meet with me at the Starbucks in Crestwood

Mo

Banned
imported post

After the incident with the manager, I figured a LEO encounter would be inevitable.

nrepuyan

imported post

Mo wrote:
After the incident with the manager, I figured a LEO encounter would be inevitable.

i think once it was recommended she check with her supervisor...starbucks company policy regarding firearms and local / state laws probably came to mind.

i don't think she was happy with it at all considering she stormed out and wandered the parking lot and sat in her car for probably a good 30-40mins...

CoffeeGuy

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
sohighlyunlikely wrote:
Good times were had by all(other than maybe the shift manager).
Shift Manager: "....er......um......excuse me, are you police officers?"

Me: "No Ma'am."

Shift Manager: "Well I thought Missouri was a concealed carry state."

Me: (I didn't want to get into particulars) "No Ma'am. We're all perfectly legal."

Shift Manager: "Well, some of our employees are uncomfortable with the guns. (fidgets and shifts eyes)

I look behind the counter and everyone else is happy as a lark. The ONLY person who seems nervous is THE MANAGER HERSELF.

Which is confirmed when I walk up to the counter and order another coffee. As I am paying, the manager is grabbing her coat and purse and making for the door. So I say:

Me: "Have a nice evening."

Shift Manager: (screaming) "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY???"

Me: "Er...Have a nice evening?"

Shift Manager: "Oh."

She then bolts out the door AND WALKS AROUND THE PARKING LOT FOR THE NEXT HALF HOUR! (strange?!?)

Yeah. Her employees are uncomfortable alright. They are so uncomfortable smiling and talking to each other.

I finally left.

Did she ever come back in, or is she still skulking around the parking lot?

Evidently she wasn't too uncomfortable to walk up and have a conversation about the legality of our presence.

Hello all-

I've lurked on this forum a few times and am just here to set the record straight on this encounter.

I'm an active shooter, and have posessed my CCW for a few years.

The shift manager you speak of Is my fiancé (red hair). She and I spoke about your visit that evening.

These are the facts: The partners (employees) on the floor did repeatedly ask her to speak with you to find out who you were, she wasn't concerned, although she wasn't sure MO is an OC state.

She later took her meal break, spending it as she always does, smoking outside and sitting in her car. It's not strange for someone to smoke outside, when smoking is prohibited inside, nor for someone who works in a retail environment to wish for a reprieve from customers and employees during their meal break.
She felt that your group might misinterpret her actions as discomfort. She noted that many in your party tipped generously, and all were courteous.
I would appreciate it if y'all would drop the speculation about others' behavior and motives.

I am very familiar with this company's policy on CCW, and OC, as I also work for the company (although I cannot speak for them).

Your group is of course welcome back anytime, but please don't talk poorly about the people who welcome and serve you.

Thanks,

John

Superlite27

imported post

CoffeeGuy:

I did not have any problems with your fiance whatsoever, I was merely remarking on her behavior which I found odd. It's very possible that this is simply because of the coincidence of the timing in which she took her break added to the fact I was unaware she smoked. (A reason I personally overlook because I, myself, do not. Therefore, I often forget that people often go outside to do so. Hence: my assumption that she went outside and was "lurking" because of our group, when she was simply kicking back and relaxing to enjoya smoke.

Patronizing this particular Starbucks was an enjoyable experience, the establishment was well kept, and the service was friendly. If the other employees were uncomfotable, they hid it well.

I kindly ask that you take a small moment to look at the situation from another perspective:

If we had been a group of African Americans peacefully enjoying coffee in this business, how would a manager walking up and saying, "Excuse me, but you are making some of our employees uncomfortable." have gone over?

How about informing a group of Jews? Muslims? or any other group you can imagine, that their legal and peaceful presence was making people uncomfortable?

Why is it acceptabletoinformthose of us who take the responsibility to exercise our civil right to carry a firearm? What makes it acceptable to treat those of us who express this civil right any different than those who enjoy any other civil right?

I am not "blaming" your fiance'. I understand she was merely asking about our legality for the benefit of her employees. Maybe the next time we stop in, we'll get a friendly "hello", and there will be less apprehension now that the entire facility knows that we're all nicey-nicey.

I yearn for the day when this will be a "given", rather than having to explain my perfectly acceptable actions to everyone. I'm not bitter or angry at having to do so. After all, I do openly carry a firearm.Ifullyexpect folks to ask questions or have to educatethose less informed. A simple, "Are you a police officer" or "Is that legal?" would suffice.

Telling me that I make folks uncomfotableisn't my problem any more than it would be an African American's or a Jew's. If folks have a problem with my normal, lawful, and peacefulbehavior, maybe they should be the ones to adjust their thinking.

Tell your fiance' I have no hard feelings as the error in interpreting her behavior was mine since I was the one who assumed it was the result of our presence. My mistake. The one thing I absolutely did not mistake was being informed that my presence was "making other employees uncomfortable".

Now that I'm sure they have been informed that folks legally carrying guns in holsters are welcome there, I will look forward to patronizing this Starbucks again sometime.

Superlite27

imported post

Did someone order Chinese?

I can only imagine the thoughts that went through your head!

You have to admit, though. The tendency to categorize things is ingrained in human nature, yet we get all sensitive about it when anyone performs this "categorization" using a human being (stereotyping) instead of an object.

I get slightly offended when someone sees my firearm and automatically assumes I'm a cop just because I have a gun. NO! People don't NEED to be a cop to be responsible with a firearm. Yet, I fully expect to (and actually do) get asked this question almost every time I leave the house. Is it getting old? Yes. Is it going to stop? No. Will this make me stop exercising my God given right? No. The easiest avenue is going to be for me to get used to it and come to terms with the way society is going to treat me. The first few times.....was I pissed! Now...I'm mildly put off. Eventually.....It'll be water off a duck's back.

However.......

....if an asian guy showed up at my desk holding a paper bag, I might be tempted to turn around and yell, "Did someone orderChinese?"

He would be fully justified asking me: "Why? Are you a cop?"