• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPR Air time for 2A

PointofView

imported post

During the discussion they discussed how a recent abusive relationship ended with the death of a college student. The Dr. they were interviewing stated that non-married couples have a substantial amount of troulbe obtaining restraining orders against each other.

I called in and commented on the fact that the judicial system is reactive after a crime has been committed and that students should be able to defend themselves. I asked if it is promoted by different organizations that the subject obtain training in self defense or even be trained to carry a firearm. I also stated that currently individuals are not able to defend themselves with firearms on college campuses.

Just bringing that to the table may make someone think.

V/R

PointofView

imported post

Curtis wrote:
How did they respond?

You could have guessed this but the Dr. that was being interviewed spoke to the situations of these people being in a relationship, but she did also say that women could be overpowered and their weapon taken from them. She then said that women should take self defense classes.

Overpowered with a gun, but go ninja on someone.. hmm.. In essence women should just give up when an assailant goes after them since even with a gun.. you are in trouble.

Seems suspect to me.

Also I read articles all the time where 80 year olds defend themselves. I suppose we read different newspapers.

She did make a good point that women in these abusive relationships often do go after the attacker when they are drunk or sleeping if they are going to get physical. Then they always get charged with premeditated. I would say that part does sound about right.

The woman in an abusive relationship may not be of sound mind to have a weapon if she could leave. The woman being stalked by some crazy and the PD can't get her a restraining order.. that is a better fit.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PointofView wrote:
The woman in an abusive relationship may not be of sound mind to have a weapon if she could leave. The woman being stalked by some crazy and the PD can't get her a restraining order.. that is a better fit.
If she's being stalked by a crazy, the restraining order isn't much help either...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
PointofView wrote:
If she's being stalked by a crazy, the restraining order isn't much help either...
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Burglary-and-rape-arrest-in-Pekin-Indiana-93240824.html
LOUISVILLE (WHAS11) – A volunteer Census worker who made his rounds earlier this week is now accused of returning to a physically handicapped woman's home this weekend and beating her and raping her.
WHAS11's Adrianna Hopkins was in Pekin, Indiana on Sunday where the crime happened, and spoke to the neighbors and friends of both the victim, and the accused.
"I had no reason to be afraid or anything of him,” said Debbie Bishop. “He was just a nice ordinary person."
That's what Bishop thought last Tuesday when she met Daniel Miller. The self-employed tile-layer and volunteer Census worker drove up her road, stopping at the homes listed on his Census forms.
The two had a short conversation and she answered all of his Census questions.
"He just seemed really nice, he was actually he was over friendly," Bishop said.
But if what Washington County Sheriff's Deputies say about Miller is true, Debbie says she's sorely mistaken.
Police say that same Tuesday, Miller also stopped by Debbie's neighbor's house. Then, that Saturday, at 4:30 in the morning, police say he returned to her neighbor's home, broke in, and beat and raped the 21-year-old physically handicapped woman who lives there with her mother.
"It's not right. She had no choice, you know,” said Bishop. “You don't do that."
The victim's mother talked to us off-camera, and said while she was sleeping, Miller raped her daughter,
then left his clothes in her daughter's room.

A neighbor says Miller then drove around the house as if he was drunk.
WHAS11 News went to Miller's house and according to his friends, he had been drinking Friday night.
Miller lives in an apartment complex by a nice, family friendly neighborhood. It’s within eyeshot of Eastern High School and East Washington Middle School.
WHAS11 News was told Miller's been married for 13 years and has two daughters. His friend Timothy Mattingly says he's shocked Daniel was arrested for this crime.
“I went fishing with him almost all the time,” he said. “He was nice and friendly.”
Debbie Bishop says she's realized you can't trust people because you never really know who they are.
"There's no way to describe what I think about a person like that,” Bishop said. “It's not even thinkable. There's no way a person like her should be treated like that. It gives me chill bumps thinking about it."
Miller was transported to the Washington County Detention Center where he’s being held with no bond. He will appear in courton Monday.

vt800c

imported post

PointofView wrote:
...she did also say that women could be overpowered and their weapon taken from them. ...
First rule of training: DON'T LET THE JERKS GET THAT CLOSE! If you haave your weapon out, use it BEFORE the SOB gets close enough to take it from you. That's easy enough to figure out!