• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public reaction to Port Orchard shooting supports shooter

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I had another thought about this as well; if you ever have to use your weapon in self defense, the first thing you should do is "shut up." The second thing is call a lawyer. It's worth going to jail for a night or two to keep yourself from possibly saying something the D.A. will surely use against you if they prosecute you.

"I just used my gun in self-defense. I don't want to answer any further questions without a lawyer."

Aaron1124

imported post

It seems a lot of people are extremely paranoid. I'm not sure if they have good reason to be based off of past experiences, or what.. but the prosecutor's office isn't out to get you. They'll only investigate further if they truly believe you acted outside the boundaries of self defense. Never have I heard of someone from my jurisdiction, or surrounding jurisdictions, being prosecuted for defending their home with deadly force, and I have an email from the King County Prosecutor's Office stating that they've never prosecuted someone for rightfully defending their home.

Some people act as if you defend your home with lethal force, the prosecutor is going to try to find any and everything they can to stack against you for prosecution. Maybe that's how the prosecutor's office is where you are, but certainly not here.

Tawnos

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
It seems a lot of people are extremely paranoid. I'm not sure if they have good reason to be based off of past experiences, or what.. but the prosecutor's office isn't out to get you.
BS. They're out to get whatever convictions they think they can win.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Why would a prosecutor prosecute a 72 year old man whose home was broken into and to whom a struggle ensued with a young man with a criminal past?

This is a very intriguing question, isn't it? To face a jury, the prosecutor my believe he can win or otherwise there is no need to even file charges.

geojohn

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
...but the prosecutor's office isn't out to get you. They'll only investigate further if they truly believe you acted outside the boundaries of self defense.
I would hope so. They have a duty to be "out to get you" if they have evidence that supports the charge, especially if that evidence comes from the defendant's own mouth.

Bo

imported post

Wow. Lot of conjecture here, and more'n a few that seem ready to jump in, based on few known facts, in support of the shooter.

Based on what I've heard so far, this may be a case of a very drunk young man walking in to the wrong apartment -- left unlocked -- by mistake, begging the occupant not to shoot him when confronted with a drawn handgun, and getting shot in the back while running away -- outside of the apartment.

Some pretty damning remarks apparently made by the 72-year-old to responding deputies.

olypendrew

imported post

geojohn wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
...but the prosecutor's office isn't out to get you. They'll only investigate further if they truly believe you acted outside the boundaries of self defense.
I would hope so. They have a duty to be "out to get you" if they have evidence that supports the charge, especially if that evidence comes from the defendant's own mouth.

A prosecutor's duty is to do the right thing/whatever is just, even if there is evidence to support prosecuting someone. Not all prosecutors understand this, and not all prosecutors have the same opinions concerning what is right or just.