• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb County Gun Board.

lwout65

imported post

Im just wonderinghow CCW permits are issued differently by County and what hurdles they make youjump through.

I found out in Wayne County after passing yourCCW class all you need to do is pay you 105.00 fee submit your passport photo get finger printedand they issue your CCW on the spot so i was told in class.

But Here im Macomb there is a four Month waiteing period then you get to stand in front of the gun board and explain why you feel theneed to obtain a permit.Correct me if im wrong but doseMichigan law state SHALL ISSUE as soon as your cleared from back ground checks?

This question has probley been brought up before but being the newbe that i am thought i wouldask.

This might be a good question to ask this weekend at Halmitch Park.

autosurgeon

imported post

Wayne County cannot issue on the spot as the background checks have to be done prior to issue... the only way they could possible issue on the spot would be if you are in danger due to a specific threat on your life. In that case they can issue a temporary and then if the background check comes back clean you get a permanent permit. Of course only good from 4 to 5 years..

lwout65

imported post

That makes sence.

But it still if everything comes back clean it dose not seem to me that Macomb or any other County should make you stand in front of them and explain why your applying if we are a shall issue State. But i guess it could be a last resort to weed out the nut casses any how i have three months to go.

RenegadeMarine

imported post

Don't sweat the Macomb County Gun Board, its pretty much a dog and pony show. The only time you have to "explain" is when they ask you why you want the permit, then all you have to say is "personal protection". You will see that just about everyone in the room will say the same thing. The other questions, they already know the answers to because you already answered them on the application. WhenI went in I was the last one in the room to get interviewed. They asked me two questions.

"Did you hear the questions we asked everyone else"?

Yes

"Do you have anything to tell us"?

No

"ok your approved".

bruiser 160

imported post

In Lapeer county we used to have to go in front of the gun board when the shall issue law took effect. They have since given that part up. As forMacomb county wanting to know why anyone feels they need a cpl, either way if you qualify they have to issue a permit to carry.:cool::cool::cool:

malignity

imported post

Wayne Co. Does not issue CPL's on the spot. No county in Michigan does that I'm aware of.

'Shall issue' has turned into 'Shall issue when we get around to it.'

This is why Secretary of State is now taking over the issuance of CPL's. This does not come into effect until 2011 or 2012 though if I remember correctly, however the law is already passed.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

and remember within 45 days from the date of receiving your finger print report back the gun board is to deny or approve your license. Hold them accountable to this. They are well aware of the law and several people have pushed the issue and got results.

fozzy71

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
and remember within 45 days from the date of receiving your finger print report back the gun board is to deny or approve your license. Hold them accountable to this. They are well aware of the law and several people have pushed the issue and got results.

This means I should have my CPL within 45 days of them getting the report from the FBI? Or 45 days from when the clerks office receives it from the sheriff?

6. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives Incident Report from local police department, unless the Sheriff's Department serves as applicant's local police department.

04/29/2010

7. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives background report regarding fingerprints from the State of Michigan.

04/28/2010

8. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives background report regarding fingerprints from the Federal Bureau of Investigations(FBI).

04/28/2010

9. Macomb County Clerk's Office receives the State of Michigan and Federal Bureau of Investigation Reports from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office.

The Macomb County Clerk's office has not yet received the background check from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. When the background check is received by the Clerk's Office, your application will be processed and you will be scheduled for a Gun Board meeting (except in the case of renewals).

malignity

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Even with Macomb Co.?

I called them out on this, and they told me literally 'too bad'. Granted, this was early 2009, but still.

autosurgeon

imported post

malignity wrote:
Wayne Co. Does not issue CPL's on the spot. No county in Michigan does that I'm aware of.

This is why Secretary of State is now taking over the issuance of CPL's. This does not come into effect until 2011 or 2012 though if I remember correctly, however the law is already passed.
Ah NO this has not passed it is still in committee as far as I know.

eastmeyers

imported post

lwout65 wrote:
Im just wonderinghow CCW permits are issued differently by County and what hurdles they make youjump through.

I found out in Wayne County after passing yourCCW class all you need to do is pay you 105.00 fee submit your passport photo get finger printedand they issue your CCW on the spot so i was told in class.

But Here im Macomb there is a four Month waiteing period then you get to stand in front of the gun board and explain why you feel theneed to obtain a permit.Correct me if im wrong but doseMichigan law state SHALL ISSUE as soon as your cleared from back ground checks?

This question has probley been brought up before but being the newbe that i am thought i wouldask.

This might be a good question to ask this weekend at Halmitch Park.

FYI Wayne County has the longest wait to get a CPL in Michigan.

God Bless

malignity

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
malignity wrote:

Ah NO this has not passed it is still in committee as far as I know.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lh...g.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2010-HB-6048

House Introduced Bill
Introduced bills appear as they were introduced and reflect no subsequent amendments or changes.
stxticon.gif
sPDFicon.gif
As Passed by the House
As Passed by the House is the bill, as introduced, that includes any adopted House amendments.
stxticon.gif
sPDFicon.gif
As Passed by the Senate
As Passed by the Senate is the bill, as received from the House, that includes any adopted Senate amendments.
stxticon.gif
sPDFicon.gif
House Enrolled Bill
Enrolled bill is the version passed in identical form by both houses of the Legislature.

Printed Bill filed 4/21/10.

That means it passed, no?

Bronson

imported post

malignity wrote:

No. Go a little further down the page and you'll see the bill's history and where it is currenlty at in the process.

4/20/2010
HJ35Pg.545
introduced by Representative Joel Sheltrown

4/20/2010
HJ35Pg.545
read a first time

4/20/2010
HJ35Pg.545
referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources

4/21/2010
HJ36Pg.561
printed bill filed 04/21/2010

Bronson

randomguy5454

imported post

In Saginaw County (2008) the process was quite straight forward.

You went to get your packet, which had a list of classes in the next three months to take from various places.

Take your class

Go pay your $105 (plus a fiver if you want them to take the picture) and get printed. Then they said they would give me a letter when to go to the gun board.

A letter showed up next week, and said I had a meeting for the board 2 weeks later. When I showed up to the board it was in a room with the door closed. I made the cops laugh a couple of times, and they were actually quite friendly. Then they handed me a card to go back up to the County Clerks office, and they HANDED me my CPL.

I carried home.

The questions they asked were mainly to find out if I was going to do a bunch of stupid things with a concealed gun.

Cop: So you know that place ***? (which is a restaurant by day, bar by night)
me: Yeah.
Cop: Would you take a gun in there?
me: No sir, since I'm sure **** sells much more beer then food (since I know everyone goes there to drink, no so much to eat)
Cop: *smiles* I'm done, I have no more questions.

Why do other places mail the permits to people?

malignity

imported post

Bronson wrote:
malignity wrote:

No. Go a little further down the page and you'll see the bill's history and where it is currenlty at in the process.

4/20/2010
HJ35Pg.545
introduced by Representative Joel Sheltrown

4/20/2010
HJ35Pg.545
read a first time

4/20/2010
HJ35Pg.545
referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources

4/21/2010
HJ36Pg.561
printed bill filed 04/21/2010

Bronson

Ah wait. I'm forgetting the final piece to the puzzle here.

I figured if voted yes by house and senate, and then printed and filed, that meant it past.

Forgot the fearless leader Granholm has to sign it. :?

My bad on this.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Macomb county denied me due to their records being wrong when I went before the board the first time.Second time I went with my lawyer,they questioned a past civil infraction and made me bring in paperwork to show I was free of past legalities and sober.Made me come back to the next months board meeting,where I provided the 8/14/08 & 8/17/08 Macomb Daily front page articles on my OC picnic,a picture of me and Ron talking to the News4 reporter that was on the news at 6pm the day of the picnic,and quoted the laws and my seriousness of exercising my right to self defense and having studied the laws since 85'.They gave me my license immediately after I was done talking(in front of about 20 people in the room,waiting for their turn)!Before shall issue,Marlinga the Macomb county PA had discretion,and the board still uses discretion if they can,especialy if you do not know the law.They are still anti-gun elitest's,so do not let them screw with you!Know the law(as I did,and they still screwed with me) and get a lawyer if you must.It cost me $250 for an NRA lawyer,which isn't too bad,in order to force them to give you what is rightfully yours!We need to get this MI law changed again!