• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College Carry

AaronBC

imported post

I'm curious what laws/rules there were pertaining to the open carrying of arms on college campuses in Wisconsin. I've heard before that it's legal to do but the school may expel a student if they wish. What other constitutional rights might a student get expelled for exercising?

I've read that recently Arizona colleges were told they must allow concealed carry but I'm not sure how accurate this is.

http://www.concealedcampus.org/

Sadly that site only covers concealed carry and makes no statements about WI. Although their empty holster protest is kind of interesting. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

My understanding is that there's no state law about college campuses. The UW system has an administrative rule that prohibits unauthorized weapons on UW property under penalty of up to a $500 fine. Private colleges, as any private entity can, may prohibit weapons on their property, but whether they do, I don't know. You'd have to check with each college to see if they have a policy. I'd personally be surprised, and happily, if they don't have a prohibition.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WELCOME to the forum.

As I understand it, and this is NOT legal cite, colleges can/do have behavioral policies, and they can place carrying of a firearm on campus as against their behavioral rules. They may even be able to control what you do off campus but that becomes more difficult.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know the schools I have been to forbid students and faculty from carrying on campus. But I haven't seen any signs that forbid anyone else. So seems to me that if you aren't a student there, you can carry. But I would expect to either A) Be asked to leave, or B) Have some big over reaction and have the police called and everything.

junkie

imported post

Also remember most schools are considered a government building. I have tried to get a chapter of SCCC here at UW-Stout, but I cannot find a faculty member willing to sponser us. I open carry everywhere else. I have always wanted to carry at school, but I have worked too hard so far to risk getting expeled.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yes carrying IN the buildings would be prohibited. Carrying on campus cannot be illegal unless there is a 1-12 school nearby.

As I am not a student, I can/will carry on any college campus as long as there is no GFSZ to worry about.

STUDENTS would be governed by the behavior policy.

bluehighways

imported post

If the college is a private institution, as is the case with Carthage (the OP's campus) can they ban non-students from carrying firearms on their property altogether?

To me it would seem like any other privately owned property (a store, a home, etc.) where they can make their own rules. I looked at Carthage's website to see if I could find an answer, but nothing turned up.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

YES, my bad, I was talking about UW campuses. You are right, private schools would be private buildings and grounds. We can carry there as long as they don't object.

If they object, they we must adhere to their discrimination.

Cobra469

imported post

Would their policies partain to all open areas on their property as well or just in the buildings? It is my understanding that the parking lots and streets through the lots are private property as well. In this case wouldn't the fact that there is no sign at the entrance to the property that clearly prohibits weapons give us "plausable deniability" until we are told otherwise?

AaronBC

imported post

One thing partly unique to Carthage is that they do not technically own the land but lease it from the city at (a professor told me this) 1 dollar for 100 years. I believe the campus is still considered part of "Alford Park".

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And that muddies the waters even more, now is it public, but leased and therefore private, or is it public, leased, but still public. My recommendation it to contact the city zoning/planning department and ask for clarification as to who owns the property and if it is open to public access JUST LIKE the city park.

Either way, the behavior policy would still apply to students.

AaronBC

imported post

Found it! Apparently the purpose of firearms is the disruption or harassment of -legitimate- campus functions. Oh well, never really intended on carrying here anyways, although it is something that I wish would be allowed. Our campus doesn't have a single person armed, and I imagine other campuses are the same way; no wonder we see all these huge shootings on college campuses across the country. It comes down to "how many people can you kill until the cops arrive and properly handle the situation." BB guns are martial arts weapons according to my school =D.

Firearms, Weapons, Fireworks

Students are not permitted to have firearms, airguns, stunguns, switch blade knives (other than small pocket knives or kitchen knives), martial arts weapons (hunting knives, guns, BB guns, pellet guns, paint ball guns etc.), ammunition, mace, fireworks or archery equipment in the residence halls, vehicles, or in personal possession on campus. This includes starter or display guns. The unauthorized possession of firearms, stunguns, fireworks, explosives, mace, pepper spray, articles or substances usable as weapons or means of disruption or harassment of legitimate campus functions, activities, or assemblies; or the use of firearms, fireworks, knives, martial arts weapons, explosives, articles or substances calculated to intimidate, disturb or injure any individual on the College campus is prohibited. There are no exceptions to this policy, including weapons used for sport, entertainment or academic purposes. Any student who violates this policy is subject to serious disciplinary action, which may result in dismissal from the College.

professor gun

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
WELCOME to the forum.

As I understand it, and this is NOT legal cite, colleges can/do have behavioral policies, and they can place carrying of a firearm on campus as against their behavioral rules. They may even be able to control what you do off campus but that becomes more difficult.

All the universities that I have been associated with over the years have had a no weapons policy; I am not sure if that applies to buildings only or the entire campus in the UW System.

As long as I have been here there has been ongoing discussion about attempts to control off campus behavior of students (particularly the drunkenness and vandalism in areas adjacent to campus) with no resolution. I would not be very concerned about them ppunishing a student who is lawfully carrying off campus.

professor gun

imported post

junkie wrote:
Also remember most schools are considered a government building. I have tried to get a chapter of SCCC here at UW-Stout, but I cannot find a faculty member willing to sponser us. I open carry everywhere else. I have always wanted to carry at school, but I have worked too hard so far to risk getting expeled.
Transfer to UWL and I will sponsor your group. :D

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

professor gun wrote:
All the universities that I have been associated with over the years have had a no weapons policy; I am not sure if that applies to buildings only or the entire campus in the UW System.

As long as I have been here there has been ongoing discussion about attempts to control off campus behavior of students (particularly the drunkenness and vandalism in areas adjacent to campus) with no resolution. I would not be very concerned about them punishing a student who is lawfully carrying off campus.
From my perspective, that would be damned near impossible. IF they tried to squash 1st, or 2nd amendment rights I don't think there would be a whole deep enough for them to crawl into to hide from the backlash, so I agree with the professor, off campus you only need to worry about the school zones.

Optimus Prime

imported post

As far as the UW system schools, all UW grounds are state property, so it's generally a no-go for carrying. You may be able to do it on the sidewalks, but even that's pushing it (I know for UWSP the sidewalks are considered UWSP jurisdiction as far as law enforcement goes, but the streets are considered city.)