• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banks

whoopingllama

imported post

I am thinking about switching banks. Does anyone know of any that are at least somewhat OC friendly? I want to think I read somewhere about someone going to Hancock and not having a problem, but I can't remember for sure. I live near Denham Springs, so anything near would be awesome. Thanks.

sraacke

imported post

I've OCed in a couple of different Hancock Bank branches on different occasions (Florida at Foster and the Bluebonnet branch) but your milage may vary. Some people get away with no problems and, for some reason, other people will cause store owners/bank managers to freak out. It really is an individual thing. Good luck.

turbodog

imported post

Carried in the First American Bank branch in Hammond with no problem. But,so far, I've onlyhad a reason to goinside the bank once since moving up here.

ManInBlack

imported post

Unfortunately, both Whitney branches near me are staffed with freedom-hating NOPD officers... :(

gentlemanjack1911

imported post

i have been told by bankers that its a fed law related to carrying guns in a bank

you cant do it

anyone know this for sure?

georg jetson

imported post

gentlemanjack1911 wrote:
i have been told by bankers that its a fed law related to carrying guns in a bank

you cant do it

Google "federal statutes"... then follow the links... then search the statutes and YOU will know for sure... then IGNORE what bankers say...

charlie12

imported post

gentlemanjack1911 wrote:

you cant do it

Tell the banker you hope he knows more about counting money than he does about gun laws.

It's a private business just like Walmart.

turbodog

imported post

Yeah, I've heard some banks (or bank emplyees)try to claim they're federal because of the FDIC. That just insurers some of the money, it doesn't make the bank federal property. It's a private business like any other. Of course as such, they can say no guns inside if they choose and you'd have to honor that or take your business elsewhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gentlemanjack1911 wrote:

you cant do it

It is one of those things that are not illegal because there are NO laws or FDIC rules against it.

Next time ask them to show you the federal statute or give you the reference/cite.

Yata hey

gentlemanjack1911

imported post

turbodog wrote:
Yeah, I've heard some banks (or bank emplyees)try to claim they're federal because of the FDIC. That just insurers some of the money, it doesn't make the bank federal property. It's a private business like any other. Of course as such, they can say no guns inside if they choose and you'd have to honor that or take your business elsewhere.

banks are owned by stock holders and they are controled by the feds

if you really want to know call teh F B I

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gentlemanjack1911 wrote:
turbodog wrote:

First you ask the question, then you give a misleading answer on this thread.

Only certain aspects relating to deposits, investments and other fiduciary and monetary control elements are under the purview of the federal govt.

Banks are private property and are free to make their own rules relating to conduct of their employees, depositors and others entering their place of business.

The carry of guns on their property is NOT restricted by any federal statute or rule.

Calling the FBI for such information is funny though. :D

Yata hey

charlie12

imported post

gentlemanjack1911 wrote:
turbodog wrote:

That makes as much sense as calling a PD to find out if OC is legal, call 10 different depts. and get 10 different answers.