• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please stop shopping at Meijer

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

taken from OC experiences thread, post by kryptonian:
OC today running errands and ran into Meijer store in commerce. grabbed a cleaning bore brush to clean my sister's .22 rifle. got stopped by 4 young high school guys who asked me about it. i said 18 to carry but a guy in sporting goods corrected me saying it was 21. not sure if that was right but was a good rep for open carry when i was approached by a meijer employee - not sure if manager or not - asked me what that was on my leg. said it was a handgun. he said i suggest you leave because i wasn't a uniformed LEO. said ok and can i buy this and leave? he said no i suggest you leave right now. can i take it back to the aisle or do you want to do it? he said he would. told those kids it happens and to research it on this site. i left and he and a couple other employees walked about 40 feet behind me. as with any of these things you think of stuff you should have said later on. what i should have said was "didn't your store get robbed at gunpoint about a month ago and taken for about $20k?"
went up to walmart and got it CHEAPER and no problems. was a medical emergency going on in the pharmacy and Oakland Co. deputy was there and EMS rolling in. the deputy stopped me OC weeks ago at end of my street and was polite, professional and i was going to thank him for that but he looked busy so went home.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i would really like to get my open carry brothers in michigan behind me on this one. i haven't set foot in a meijer since my incident (linked above) in june of 2009. the problem with meijer is their supposed policy is to leave it up to the individual stores. not to mention they are completely unresponsive when you try to contact them about the issue. we really need to blow up their phone and e-mail with complaints and tell them we're all stopping shopping there until they recognize our rights.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

the issue that meijer as a corporation does not recognize our right. individual stores are fine with it. i know that new haven is fine with it but several others are not. a few apples are spoiling the whole bunch and meijer corporate needs to be hit where it hurts. in the pocketbook. we need to send them a clear message. they've lost thousands in business from me alone in just one year.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

again, everyone is well aware that individual stores are ok with it. the problem is that corporate does not have the sack to step up and make a national policy. they leave it up to not only the individual stores, but the manager on duty. you could have a different experience depending on the manager on duty.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I think it's hilarious and absurd that you are going to stop shopping at a Michigan based company, and go to wal mart instead, do they have guns in china?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

this is what's hilarious and absurd:
does meijer sell products made in china? yes.
is walmart based in the US? yes.
does walmart have a national corporate policy allowing legal OC? yes.
one is the clear winner here. you decide.

kryptonian

imported post

been to 2 other meijer stores (wixom and livonia) OC no problem. the commerce store that kicked me out today was recently robbed at gunpoint early in the morning when they first opened or prepared for daily registers to open. 6 employees including my neighbor were held at gunpoint and manager locked in vault. reeks of inside job. surprised they didn't check their work schedule on the way out. what better reason to endorse OC?
wonder what would happen if a dozen organized OC people went into store one at a time and all shopped around.
question - if you got told to leave store and return on another date OC would the first removal still be effect? they could always tell police you were told before.
if CC in store and something happened and you didn't intervene you could always tell them that you would have but this store doesn't like guns.
today i went right back to sporting dept, found my item and was heading out to pay and be gone. my stopping to talk to the guys allowed time for them to act. i stood right out in aisle. this was my first store removal. oh well. lesson learned.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

the store i was kicked out of said CC was OK. as far as notification, once you've been informed of that stores policy, that is forever. no expiration on that.

malignity

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I think it's hilarious and absurd that you are going to stop shopping at a Michigan based company, and go to wal mart instead, do they have guns in china?

The samsung TV i buy at meijer is the same samsung TV i buy at wal-mart. Same goes with the milk, the eggs, the meat, etc. It all comes from the same place. Don't start with that please.:banghead:

Personally, I don't care if Meijer is a michigan based company or not. If they will not support my rights given to me by the constitution of the united states of america, i will not support them by keeping them in business.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i think this is the phone number for their corporate:
(616) 735-5070
please join me in calling them to get a real answer on what their corporate policy really is or getting them to change their existing policy

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay PLEASE everyone who spends HARD earned money at Wal-Mart please please please watch this movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GINui9LdIQ&feature=PlayList&p=87A821847CBDE584&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

I am sorry, and I know this doesn't directly have to do with firearms, but it has to do with being Americans, and Humans in genral, so PLEASE please please watch this if you insist on shopping at Wal-Mart. If you still want to shop their after seeing this video, go for it, but do me the favor of watching it, its an 11 part series on the youtube site. Its under free-movies on Comcast-OnDemand alot too, just not right now.

Anyways God Bless guys and gals, carry on.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

seen it. it's a little out of date though. walmart has made some improvements since then. not saying they're perfect, but it's kind of like the choice between the proverbial turd sandwich and the giant douche when it comes to walmart and meijer. south park fans will know what i'm talking about.

malignity

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Okay PLEASE everyone who spends HARD earned money at Wal-Mart please please please watch this movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GINui9LdIQ&feature=PlayList&p=87A821847CBDE584&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

I am sorry, and I know this doesn't directly have to do with firearms, but it has to do with being Americans, and Humans in genral, so PLEASE please please watch this if you insist on shopping at Wal-Mart. If you still want to shop their after seeing this video, go for it, but do me the favor of watching it, its an 11 part series on the youtube site. Its under free-movies on Comcast-OnDemand alot too, just not right now.

Anyways God Bless guys and gals, carry on.

Movie or not, Wal-Mart has ammo for $5 cheaper a box than anywhere on the planet. I don't care if they're the worst company in the world, they have the cheapest ammo, and when you're on a low income, saving money is a necessity. lol