• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please stop shopping at Meijer

eastmeyers

imported post

Okay bottom line before I am DONE with this. If Meijer kicked me out (legally by the way, at their own discretion by the way), that doesn't mean that I am going to shop at WalMart, this is my personal decision. I am just showing my reasons for not shopping their and try to show why I think if you have American values, that you might not want to either.

Lets remember Meijer has not broken any laws, if anything they haveused their rights to kick you out, just like youuse your rights to OC.

WalMart continuously breaks basic human rights everyday, and even if they have gotten better its because they have been called out on the red carpet for it.

If you say its great that their ammo is five bucks cheaper so thats why your shopping their, and you don't care because their employees make the same as other places. Well not true, they OWN factories in other countries and pay people inconceivably low salery, and take away these employees basic human rights.

Its one thing to shop at WalMart, I just can't believe that anyone would defend them.

Sorry for ranting, I am DONE.

GOD BLESS

Mosnar87

imported post

Come on folks, relax.

Walmart is like any other entry level employer, you get paid a low wage to do a low skill job. If you have a good employment record and some relevant abilities you will probably be paid more than minimum wage.

However, you should always read the contract they ask you to sign, it is there for a reason.

One of the many complaints listed in the above video was about being asked to work off the clock which goes against company policy, and any manager that asks you to work of the clock is violating company policy.

When I worked at Walmart, as a lowly TLE Tech, they had what they called an "open door policy" whereby you could bypass your direct manager and go directly to their boss or even the store manager or corparate if necessary, with any problem including violations of company policy that you had.

This information is all in the contract that you have to agree to, in order to gain employment. :banghead:

Disclaimer: Walmart was not my favorite job ever, however, they followed the rules laid out in the employment contract that I signed and thus...
I have no beef with Walmart.

Also, now everyone hates me.:(

malignity

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Well not true, they OWN factories in other countries and pay people inconceivably low salery, and take away these employees basic human rights.

doublefacepalm.jpg

Beerme

Banned
imported post

So I have glanced through here and I am not sure if we are being trolled or not
but No
I will continue to shop at meijers
They have low prices
Friendly service
and lots of stuff to buy :)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nope, no trolls here, just a group of people who've repeatedly had their rights violated by a wishy-washy corporation afraid to take a stand. stick around. search "meijer" in the forums. it's not the first and certainly not the last time this will happen in a meijer. for the record, i'm a payed member of MOC, no troll.

steve

imported post

I gave meijers the finger long ago..... I will continue to give big bad walmart my money until they decide they are to good for me like meijers did.

It's a shame such a places carries the michigan name.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

either way, shop at wal-mart, pay for your own poverty.

buy american made products (not saying meijer has american made stuff)spend money on companies that are based in your state.

Demand american made products, get more american made manufacturing jobs, increase our own country's wealth and prosperity.

Somewhere along the lines, people have been brainwashed into thinking that shopping at wal-mart and buying Toyota is patriotic.

"Another Joker in the White House, said a change was comin' round
But I'm still workin' at The Wal Mart and Mary Alice, in the ground
And all them politicians, they all lyin' sacks of ----
They say better days upon us but I'm sucking left hind tit
And the preacher on the TV says it ain't too late for me
But I bet he drives a Cadillac and I'm broke with some hungry mouths to feed"

malignity

imported post

For the last time guys... and maybe, just maybe, if I spell it out in big bold letters, you can understand what I'm saying.

THE SONY TELEVISION YOU BUY AT WAL-MART IS THE SAME SONY TELEVISION YOU BUY AT MEIJER. THEY ARE MADE AT THE SAME LOCATION. WAL-MART DOES NOT OWN SPECIAL SONY FACTORIES THAT MAKE SPECIAL SONY TELEVISIONS, OKAY?

It does not matter if you shop at Meijer, or Wal-Mart, or Target, or Chingchangchong-mart. You're getting the same product. That product may or may not be made in the united states, but generally, every store has the same thing. This isn't Wal-Mart's fault, this isn't Meijer's fault. Don't put the blame on one when they sell identical stuff.

malignity

imported post

steve wrote:
I agree, and I will buy that sony tv at walmart.
I'll buy that sony TV wherever offers it the cheapest. If Meijer wants my business that bad, they can offer it to me cheaper than the competition, simple enough. I'm not into paying for companies that are michigan based, I'm into saving money, and the VAST majority of people are the same way, which is why our jobs are being shipped overseas, and why we have this problem in the first place. Yes, I understand, Toyotas, etc, are cheaper, and now with all the problems they're having, people are 'getting what they pay for'. When there are no more american made TV's left, like the example I'm using now, and we have to buy from a company overseas, this isn't a problem that Wal-Mart or Meijer has generated, this is a problem that America has generated. To say that you're going to support a michigan based company no matter what is fine, but know this, that the general public isn't going to back you. The almighty dollar that speaks, and when you're getting the exact same product at both stores, every american in their right mind will go for the cheaper product.

I'm not being anti-Meijer. I do shop at Meijer on a regular basis, and will continue to do so for certain items, as long as they continue to have the lowest price on those items. If they do not, I will not shop there anymore, and will instead go elsewhere.

Oh, and before anyone asks, I drive an American car. Not cause it's cheaper, but because there's no quality like a Jeep. It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. ;)

jfrenchudm

imported post

I have not had time to post this yet, but I had my first negative experience at the Meijer by my house this weekend. I was asked by the manager to cover up as he had received complaints from employees. I was wondering why every employee I saw around there was on their phone/walkie. I instructed my wife that we will no longer be shopping at that Meijer. I'll get into more details when I'm not working 18 hours a day.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thanks for adding jfrenchudm. apparently, people just aren't convinced that meijer fosters an extremely anti (aka snot-bubbles) atmosphere. your story will be helpful to add to this, now, growing database of bad meijer experiences.

hopnpop

imported post

Well, now that I'm caught up on the thread...where do I start? I think I should start with the thread itself. This is OCDO, not the better business bureau. We should be discussing store policies revelent to the carry of firearms, not which store is more or less American or patriotic or sells what for cheaper or what they pay their employees. Everyone has their own reasons for shopping where they do and no one has to justify their reason(s) for doing so. It's no one's business where I shop for what or why. It's surely not my business to tell someone where they should or shouldn't shop.

As for Meijers... I may have been confusing their policy with Wal-Mart's. I thought Meijer policy didn't leave it up to the individual managers - I thought their policy was like Starbucks - aligned with state and local laws pertaining to OC. I thought it was Wal-Mart who lent it to the manager's discretion. Apparently I've got it bass-ackward? Wal-Mart has nationwide policy of aligning with state and local laws while it's actually Meijers that leaves it to the manager? How shitty...

Well, I've OC'd into at least 3 Meijer stores countless times without issue. I've also OC'd into 2Wal-Mart storesnumerous times without issue, but probably not as many times as Meijer. I agree that it would be nice if Meijer took a solid stand one way or the other, so we wouldn't be filling our carts only to be abandoned if we're asked to leave. I'd comply with being asked to conceal, but if I were told that they strictly didn't want ANY firearms on the property I'd send 'em the finger and be gone.

Personally I don't foresee them changing their policy which leaves it to the manager's discretion. I think that IS their stand. It'd be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

kryptonian wrote:
been to 2 other meijer stores (wixom and livonia) OC no problem. the commerce store that kicked me out today was recently robbed at gunpoint early in the morning when they first opened or prepared for daily registers to open. 6 employees including my neighbor were held at gunpoint and manager locked in vault. reeks of inside job. surprised they didn't check their work schedule on the way out. what better reason to endorse OC?
wonder what would happen if a dozen organized OC people went into store one at a time and all shopped around.
question - if you got told to leave store and return on another date OC would the first removal still be effect? they could always tell police you were told before.
if CC in store and something happened and you didn't intervene you could always tell them that you would have but this store doesn't like guns.
today i went right back to sporting dept, found my item and was heading out to pay and be gone. my stopping to talk to the guys allowed time for them to act. i stood right out in aisle. this was my first store removal. oh well. lesson learned.

January 25, 2010

http://www.wwj.com/pages/6200654.php?

hopnpop