• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

approached by a abc 12 news guy in gas station.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I was at the speedway on Dort near the MTA station, I was approached by one of the abc 12 news anchors about my pistol. he seemed pretty excited about open carry and asked if I would like to be on the news sometime to talk about open carry.

I told him I'd feel more comfortable if he contacted Brian or Jeff, he offered his card I didn't take it, wish I had. I told him we try to get together about once a month and he really wants to cover one here in flint.

didn't get his name but I knew his face from tv he is an African American gentleman about 40 years.

lil_freak_66

imported post

if you wish to get ahold of him,its not hard to call the news tip line thing and then tell them that he approached you requesting a story,and you changed your mind about wanting to help w/ it.

WARCHILD

imported post

FYI ...BEWARE!!

The last time I called them to cover an event and I quote:
"We don't want anything to do with you gun nuts" and hung up on me.

No, I didn't get a name, could have been the janitor for all I know.
But ABC 12 has always been anti-gun, so if they want an interview; they are probably looking to pick and choose your words to put a negative slant on it to suit their own views.

Use caution when dealing with ANY media.

JMO

hidehunter

imported post

It sounds like you were talking to Matt Franklin (I believe that's his name).
He did a story about the Lapeer Sheriff Dept. When they were selling an M-16.
He interviewed two or three women about how they felt about them selling a machine gun to the general public. Of course these women didn't know the first thing about the hoops a person had to go through before they could take possession of it.
He didn't bother interviewing someone that was familiar with the process.
I'll never forget that, and always believe Channel 12 News is anti gun.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Beware the media! Any and all media!

Once they begin editing the material you gave them there is no telling what the end result will look like!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bikenut wrote:

Once they begin editing the material you gave them there is no telling what the end result will look like!
this is not the right approach - we ar moving forward exactly because we are coming out of th ecloset and speaking to the media - almost all publicity is good publicity - they tll stories, and cannot tell our story if we don't get in the game.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I was at the speedway on Dort near the MTA station, I was approached by one of the abc 12 news anchors about my pistol. he seemed pretty excited about open carry and asked if I would like to be on the news sometime to talk about open carry.

I told him I'd feel more comfortable if he contacted Brian or Jeff, he offered his card I didn't take it, wish I had.
next time take the card, tell the reporter sure I'll appear in the news or maybe will arrange for somebody else if i am not available - the idea is to get in the news in a positive way with normal citiznes speaking - this is what turns public opinion more than talking heads on TV all the time.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Mike wrote:
Bikenut wrote:

this is not the right approach - we ar moving forward exactly because we are coming out of th ecloset and speaking to the media - almost all publicity is good publicity - they tll stories, and cannot tell our story if we don't get in the game.
Didn't say not to talk to the media...

Any time we talk with the media it should be with the knowledge that what we say could be manipulated during editing and, thusly, we should beware.

Perhaps I was not clear enough and gave the wrong impression...

But it is almost impossible to edit a bad impression into something when words said are chosen very carefully in the first place.

cabman1

imported post

Mike wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:

I told him I'd feel more comfortable if he contacted Brian or Jeff, he offered his card I didn't take it, wish I had.
next time take the card, tell the reporter sure I'll appear in the news or maybe will arrange for somebody else if i am not available - the idea is to get in the news in a positive way with normal citiznes speaking - this is what turns public opinion more than talking heads on TV all the time.

+1000