• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wausau/Central Wisconsin

phred

imported post

Any OC'ers or fellow gun-rights minded individuals out there in the Central Wisconsin Area*? How about an informal meet and greet to compare notes and see that we are not alone - or are we?

PM me and I will set something up.

*Marathon, Lincoln, Langlade, Portage, Clark, Wood, Taylor, Shawano, Counties

.30-06

imported post

I'm in the Wausau area. I can't say I've tried OC'ing other than hunting. Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling OC won't be very well accepted around here.

AaronS

imported post

.30--06 wrote:
I'm in the Wausau area. I can't say I've tried OC'ing other than hunting. Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling OC won't be very well accepted around here.
I thought the same thing about the north side of Milwaukee... I was wrong. I have had no problem as of yet. Lots of eyes, a few questions, and I can't count the number of fliers I have handed out...

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Here is a thread from the last meet/greet held in Wausau.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=41839&forum_id=57

We met at an IHop and had a good discussion and I personally have carried in Wausau several times.

In looking at the calendar, I will be in the Wisconsin Rapids area May 21, 22 for a gun show.

I will be in Eagle River May 28, 29, 30 for a gun show as well.

Let's arrange a dinner meeting for Thursday evening (May 27). Culvers, Perkins, Denys are good places. Alternatively, Google is telling me 2 hours from Eagle River to Wausau. We could do a get together around 5:00PM on Saturday evening (May 30).

All LEO knows that OC is legal, so we shouldn't have any issues.

Bounce some ideas around via PM's to those on this thread, and those on the other thread, and let's make it happen. Once you guys have a date/time/place, we can have the WCI Chair send an email notification out to all WCI members in the area and go from there.

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and Carry On.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bring my Glock & Serpa holster everywhere when I travel. Never an issue...come on guys, Just do it, break your cherry !! ..............if your not going to open carry, why are you on an Open carry forum ? for looks ? :?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Hubert, I also plan on attending the E-R gun show, I'll see you there!

To date I have had zero negative contacts with any LEO's in Vilas County while O-C'ing, I typically just get a friendly wave as they drive by, and I did have a lieutenant from the VCSD stop to say hi to the pooches I was walking. He was interested in my White German Shepherd more than my choice of sidearm.

Nutczak

imported post

.30--06 wrote:
Do you ever go out and pick blueberries, or any other activities out in the woods besides hunting?
I have alwaysworn asidearm when I am in the woods doing anything! It does not matter if I am cutting wood, or walking the pooches. I am armed at all times.

Back in 2000-2001 was my first contact with law enforcement (Oneida County)while I was walking down the road with a .357 on my side, He had stopped to see if we needed assistance because we were many miles away from any homes, and he saw the truck on the side of the road, I told him we are fine, and thanked him for asking.

I offered some fresh picked wild blueberries and as I was pouring some berries into a Tupperware container he had with him, he noticed my revolver and asked if we had had any bears give us problems. I explained that we had come face to face with a few, but no problems yet because they usually just ignored us after their brief sprint away from us.
He simply thanked us for the berries, said to be careful,and went on his way.

phred

imported post

Never an issue...come on guys, Just do it, break your cherry !! ..............if your not going to open carry, why are you on an Open carry forum ? for looks ?

Oh, come on - Never an issue? I've been meticulously reading this forum for months and there are issues all over the place. And, to be fair, there are many OC non-issues too. It's a crap shoot - let's face it.

The problem with "this area" is that even walking down a country road with any kind of gun will turn heads. Carrying a gun around here is just not "socially acceptable". Since I live out in the country, I am almost always armed with a handgun, whether it's just for a walk, picking berries, hunting, cutting firewood, planting trees - whatever. But OC'ing in the County Forests around here are not the same as OC'ing in downtown Wausau - even though it should be.

And comments like
if your not going to open carry, why are you on an Open carry forum ? for looks ?
certainly are not going to make this forum the "friendly forum" that you want it to be. My answer to that question is simply "to learn!"

I've OC'd in some Wausau stores too, and I can honestly say that I have never seen another OC'r. If anybody does OC around here, it's not very often. I realize educating people and changing the "social norms" around here will take some time and effort. Being thoughtful and patient are good virtues. Creating a negative backlash is not.

I will continue to read and learn. And of course, Carry

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

phred wrote:
Never an issue...come on guys, Just do it, break your cherry !! ..............if your not going to open carry, why are you on an Open carry forum ? for looks ?

Oh, come on - Never an issue? I've been meticulously reading this forum for months and there are issues all over the place. And, to be fair, there are many OC non-issues too. It's a crap shoot - let's face it.

The problem with "this area" is that even walking down a country road with any kind of gun will turn heads. Carrying a gun around here is just not "socially acceptable". Since I live out in the country, I am almost always armed with a handgun, whether it's just for a walk, picking berries, hunting, cutting firewood, planting trees - whatever. But OC'ing in the County Forests around here are not the same as OC'ing in downtown Wausau - even though it should be.

And comments like
if your not going to open carry, why are you on an Open carry forum ? for looks ?
certainly are not going to make this forum the "friendly forum" that you want it to be. My answer to that question is simply "to learn!"

I've OC'd in some Wausau stores too, and I can honestly say that I have never seen another OC'r. If anybody does OC around here, it's not very often. I realize educating people and changing the "social norms" around here will take some time and effort. Being thoughtful and patient are good virtues. Creating a negative backlash is not.

I will continue to read and learn. And of course, Carry
Well said! Very well said. "I will continue to read and learn." Me too.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I f you want to change social norms, then you actually have to go out and CHANGE THEM. not leaving your property armed WILL NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. " gee whiz, how come I never see anyone around here OC ??" It's because NO ONE IS ! Including you ! I said never an issue for me , I oc everywhere. of course maybe no one bats an eye at me when I go out an OC, because I look like i could be a cop. Clean cut, BIG, well dressed, Intimidating.

OH, YEAH...reading and LEARING won't get you socially accepted when you go out and openly carry a firearm....YOU have to grow a pair & actually LEAVE YOUR PROPERTY & let people other than your wife see your firearm & if someone calls the cops on you then you deal with that when it happens....being scared & PARANOID that someone MIGHT call the cops on you, does not make OC a socially accepted norm.

so, again..I ask the question..If your NOT going to OC , why post on this forum ? This forum is for OPEN CARRIERS ! not scared wanna bee Open carriers, that won't carry in public because they might have to deal with a police officer.

This is why America is going down the crapper...too few have any BRASS any more...

Optimus Prime

imported post

I'm in Stevens Point, I carry pretty regularly. Had acoupleemployees at Walmart give me flak a couple times, but that's been it so far. I've also carried at Gander Mountain and Barnes & Noble in the Wausau area. Even bought a shotgun at Gander while carrying my 1911. The salesmen simply asked how I liked my Serpa.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Optimus Prime wrote:
I'm in Stevens Point, I carry pretty regularly. Had acoupleemployees at Walmart give me flak a couple times, but that's been it so far. I've also carried at Gander Mountain and Barnes & Noble in the Wausau area. Even bought a shotgun at Gander while carrying my 1911. The salesmen simply asked how I liked my Serpa.
Them Serpa's are nice.......

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Carrying a gun around here is just not "socially acceptable".

I understand this sentiment, and I'm not knocking you for it.

But sitting back and listening to the things I hear from members all across the state, its funny in an unfortunate kind of way. Everyone thinks "they" live in an area that is unique and somehow precluded from other parts of the state.

People in Milwaukee say carrying a gun here isn't as socially acceptable as carrying a gun "up north". (and when we think "up north" Wausau is considered up north. Yet we have people in Wausau saying carrying isn't socially acceptable there. Everyone seems to think OC is somehow more acceptable everywhere else but where they are.

Its symantics, but is carrying a gun socially acceptable anywhere? What defines socially acceptable?

It reminds me of how people in each different jurisdiction think "their police department" is so much harsher than everyone elses police department. People in West Allis say "oh sure, people in Brookfield carry, but the police here in West Allis are harsher" and people in Brookfield say the same thing.

I open-carry all over Milwaukee county every place its legal to do so. I too have never come across anyone open-carrying (except at pre-organized events).

The day I run into someone OC'ing out and about will be a happy day, but in the meantime, given only a small percentage of the people OC, its unlikely you'll run into them.

I think OC is as socially acceptable anywhere as you think it is. Socially acceptable is in the eye of the beholder.

Is smoking socially acceptable? A good percent of the population can't stand it, but I see people doing it all over the place.

I guess my point is I think socially acceptable means "people by and large go about their daily business" and that is 100% of what I observe when I OC. I've never been asked to leave anywhere, I've never been approached by anyone. Police interactions are becoming fewer and fewer. There will always be 'private store issues' as that is private property and a higher likelihood people are unaware.

But you are doing the right things. You carry, you are an ambassador. People are educated every time you strap up. Keep up the good work, and don't be pessimistic about the 'social acceptance' of open-carry. Its better than you think it is. All over the state. Insecurity about it is more in our minds when we go to certain places than that of those around us.

.30-06

imported post

Thanks for the welcomes, warm or otherwise. :)

I've been lurking here for about two years now so I'm pretty well versed in the law, some members' encounters/experiences, legal actions, and even people's posting habits.

About me... Even though I don't OC (yet), I am a founding member of WI Carry. I don't live in the country, I live on a city block, in a school zone. :X If it wasn't for the school zone I'd probably have started to OC around the neighborhood - seems a lot of you get your feet wet that way.

Let me elaborate on the acceptance issue. I have a higher profile than the average Joe. (Business where my name is tied to it) If I were to walk into Target carrying and the police show up there's a very good probability it's going to make the local news in this small town. I could care less about the cops - but a loss of business is something I cannot afford.

I'd be willing to meet up at a local event and take my chances that I won't be the center of the media's attention. I think the press (if any) from something like that would be more positive, because the alternative is if I get "caught" carrying while shopping alone the media will paint me to be a nut.

Nutczak

imported post

very simply put, Open-Carry is legal in the state of Wisconsin, It is our only legal way to carry a firearm.

If you feel that you may lose customers becuase they would be offended, then I would suggest you continue going about your life as you have been by being unarmed and leaving the responsibilty to defend yourself and your loved ones up to the local police and county sheriff department.

Plain and simple, we have the right to keep and bear arms. Nobody is forcing you to exercise that right. It is your choice. Obviously you are interested in exploring your rights further hence you joined the forum.

Will law enforcement harrass you? I do not know! Nor can anyone else say with any cetainty.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I could care less about the cops - but a loss of business is something I cannot afford.

No one should blame you for this. (well, this is the internet, someone will assuredly try)

There are priorities greater than open-carry. If one doesn't have a job or income, they won't have any time to support rights causes cause they'll be out looking for work all the time.

How hard you stick to your principles depends on value judgments of what you would have to give up.

Currently, I'm not allowed to OC at work. The companies previous 'no weapon' policy from a generic lawyer-generated employee handbook is 'under review' (and I actually think I'm making progress) (I work downtown Milwaukee and there was a couple assaults outside our building after hours in the past year and the owners are now thinking its not a bad idea to let employees have a choice to protect themselves as they walk to their cars after working late) I digress..

I'm not about to quit my job because I can't OC here. I do pretty well for myself and if I had to be out seeking employment, I wouldn't have time to volunteer my time with WCI. Looking at the big picture, sacrificing my job cause I can't OC would be dumb.

I'll even patronize a store that prohibits OC.... But ONLY if that store is the ONLY (and I mean ONLY) viable way to obtain a product I need. Fortunately, most of the things I buy, if a store ever prohibited OC, I could obtain them online or from a variety of other local stores.

Gotta pick your battles, but most important is to keep yourself in good position (financially and otherwise) to continue the fight.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

.30--06 wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes, warm or otherwise. :)

I've been lurking here for about two years now so I'm pretty well versed in the law, some members' encounters/experiences, legal actions, and even people's posting habits.

About me... Even though I don't OC (yet), I am a founding member of WI Carry. I don't live in the country, I live on a city block, in a school zone. :X If it wasn't for the school zone I'd probably have started to OC around the neighborhood - seems a lot of you get your feet wet that way.

Let me elaborate on the acceptance issue. I have a higher profile than the average Joe. (Business where my name is tied to it) If I were to walk into Target carrying and the police show up there's a very good probability it's going to make the local news in this small town. I could care less about the cops - but a loss of business is something I cannot afford.

I'd be willing to meet up at a local event and take my chances that I won't be the center of the media's attention. I think the press (if any) from something like that would be more positive, because the alternative is if I get "caught" carrying while shopping alone the media will paint me to be a nut.
The media painted me as a nut a few times last year, in fact I had them coming to my home and interviewing me, channels 2-5 & 11 all came over with-in a 2 day time frame to paint me as a nut job, the Interviews were regarding the Open Carry Picnic & then , the open carry ban in city parks that the city was trying to pass, WE got it defeated, maybe even because the media was trying to paint me as a nut job, sometimes you have to publicly get involved and attach your name to a cause.

I am also a Business Professional, I own a very small one man full time Wedding DJ service, but you know what my being on tv openly supporting the Open Carry cause last year did NOT effect my financial picture negatively....In fact a few of my newer customer SAW ME ON TV " you were talking about that gun thing"

I get on TV alot, because I am always getting involved....always for good causes.

But, I guess that's your business if you want to remain in the open carry closet. :cool: