• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions On Being Disarmed While OCing

eye95

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Yes there is. Centreville, VA, around 4:00am a few years ago. A man out walking his dog was accosted and had his OC'd gun taken from him.
The only essential detail needed is a verifiable citation. I am sure that you know that there is/has been a standing offer of a cash reward for a verifiable snatch from an LAC.

Believe nothing that you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting worldview.

[sub]Personal attack deleted[/sub]
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm

([sub]Personal attack deleted better be deleted)

[/sub]
That was not so much a "snatch" as it was an armed robbery. I don't want to speak for whoever issued the challenge, but I would limit the challenge to someone opportunistically removing the weapon. An armed robbery, with a gun to the back of the head would have the same effect on an OCer or a CCer.

The argument against OC is that the OCed weapon is at risk because it is easily accessible to someone who would grab and go. That did not happen in this instance.

eye95

imported post

Scalce wrote:
I thank you guys for the posts that actually try to address my concerns and questions politely.

I am dissapointed in the attitude that some members have towards other gun lovers who are just trying to understand the OC movement and what it stands for.

I think part of that defensive attitude is what has been putting alot of people off.

We need all gun owners to work together.

I'll keep reading here and learning though.

Keep fighting for what you believe in.
I think it's great when folks come here with a genuine curiosity about OC. I regret that some of the reactions you have received have been off-putting. Please don't judge the whole site by those reactions.

Welcome aboard.

Dreamer

imported post

eye95 wrote:
That was not so much a "snatch" as it was an armed robbery. I don't want to speak for whoever issued the challenge, but I would limit the challenge to someone opportunistically removing the weapon. An armed robbery, with a gun to the back of the head would have the same effect on an OCer or a CCer.
Not so much an "armed robbery" as it was a "false report". This incident gets trotted out EVERY time someone poses the "what if someone tries to grab your gun" argument, and EVERY time, people who live in that area (like me) try to dispel this myth.

But because FCPD never removed or amended the original report, people keep presenting this report as it if actually happened. It didn't. The guy made a false report.

More information to come soon, I hope...

MK

imported post

Interesting stuff. Most if not all OC'ers are going to at least think about this and it really is an important topic even if it is extremely unlikely to the point of absurdity. Its one that is used to argue against us time and time again.

Scalce, without meaning any disrespect to your question, its just that it happens to be about a topic that is used very often to paint a broad picture of danger about OC that has virtually no evidence to back it up. Anti gun activists propagate this fear that most of us feel is unjustifed that the threat of OC'ers losing control of their weapon to a bad guy is enough of a public safety hazard to prohibit us from carrying openly. Again, this explanation isn't aimed in any personal way towards you or your question, I just want to explain a little bit as to where some angst may come from.

I've thought about this question alot, as have many other OC'ers. We take a big responsibility on ourselves being armed with deadly force out in public.

Even if there isn't data to show it, I will admit I have a little bit of fear of that scenario playing out especially with my wife carrying while shes alone. I think she could be ambushed from behind and incapacitated if a bad guy wanted her weapon. Actually, with a brick smashing into the back of my head, the same could be true for me as well.

I don't think it would happen because someone wants my wallet. If my wallet is what they are after, then they will go to the much softerand less deadly target. You may hear of LEOs losing their gun but you never hear of LEOs losing their wallet. If someone were to take my gun, it would be strictly to take my gun. They would have to be a lunatic to try something like that, but there are lunatics that walk amongst us. Still, I would never concede in general that the fear justifies a prohibition on open carry.

In my state, you can defend yourself with lethal force: RsMO 563.031.

2. A person may not use deadly force upon another person under the circumstances specified in subsection 1 of this section unless:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such deadly force is necessary to protect himself or herself or another against death, serious physical injury, or any forcible felony;

That right there says enough for me. Physically trying to manhandle my gun from me, means I can shoot you for it.

Now, another very important rule is that the burden of proof to justify the shooting, will land squarely on my head. If I am charged with the assault, manslaugther or murder of that individual, I will have to prove my innocence by proving I was justified.

5. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section.

That right there is enough to make me hesitate should I get the draw on the attacker. It sucks but its true. I may have to stop and think if I can actually get out of the situation without firing and that right there puts me in harms way. I can end up in prison with a life sentence, I can end up just losing my firearm, I can end up losing my life. I will take precaution first with my life but still if its just him and me and no neutral witness or one favorable to me, I gotta try to avoid killing this person as much as possible if he is unarmed.

The main thing though is that we can "what if" it to death. We can think of fictional scenarios and how they might turn out which I feel is constructive. Each situation is its own with so many contributing factors that its really impossible to play out any hypothetical for sure.

eye95

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Not so much an "armed robbery" as it was a "false report". This incident gets trotted out EVERY time someone poses the "what if someone tries to grab your gun" argument, and EVERY time, people who live in that area (like me) try to dispel this myth.

But because FCPD never removed or amended the original report, people keep presenting this report as it if actually happened. It didn't. The guy made a false report.

More information to come soon, I hope...
By all means, please post support as soon as possible. I'd rather the report were false (so it will get cited less often). However, if true, it still isn't a "grab."

Scalce

imported post

Great info and insight guys, thanks.

I was asking about this more for my personal concerns rather than as a possible widespread issue.

I don't think that someone who carries, whether concealed or open, can overthink too much or run through enough scenarios.

I take my right and responsibility to carry very seriously as I think most people who carry a firearm do.

1245A Defender

imported post

this was posted by anty506 in this forum
OC gun grab, the unpossible is possible!
about anty506

Well I just got back from this party.

Right before I went to the party I sat at the Tangipahoa Sherrif's sub station with my buddy who is the Sergent and told him I was about to go to this party and he said that he already had some complaints about what happened last time and that he was going to be breaking it up soon.

Well I get to the party and as I'm talking to some people that I know, I am choked from behind and feel someone going for my gun. I try to get [highlight= #88ffff]control of the gun but instead I get my gun pointed at me.

Its the crazy dad pointing my gun at me and screaming what the f%%% you doing with a gun I'm on parole and house arrest and I told him I'm with Mr.(Sergent) from the Tangi Sherrif (as my buddy told me to say if there was any trouble and after I call he would come take care of it)

Well the dad tells me he doesn't give a F*** who I'm with and pulls a gun from his waste and puts it to my head and says he will blow my brains out. I stayed calm and just told him to put his gun down and return my firearm. After some people go to him and calm him down, he gives me my firearm back and says get the f*** out of here.

So as it would have no longer been a "good kill" as I was no longer threated with a gun to my head, I walked away and called the Sgt.

Once all of the cops pulled in, he tried to appoligize of course and then once he found out that everyone was a witness to what happened including his son, he threatened to press charges on me for tresspassing with a weapon on his property.

So I couldn't press charges on him even though he put his gun to my head while holding my gun in my cheast because he would press charges on me.

So after talking to my buddy, he suggested I let it go or he would be pressing charges on me as well.

What would you guys have done in this situation? I knew it was no longer a "good kill" (no kill is a good kill) and I knew that even if I did have [highlight= #88ffff]control of my weapon when he put his to my head and I would have shot him, his [highlight= #ffff88]weed head buddies would have shot me.

It was a tough situation but I did use my head and stayed calm about everything, but what would you guys have done?

I know this should most likely be a thread of its own, but I'm posting here as I was just talking about this party in this thread eariler today.
this is what he was doing about a week before the shooting.

1245A Defender

imported post

No,,, sorry eye, but ive read everything everwhere i could about anty506,, and the story of the gun grab was only his own report.. no documentation.

and there is a BS smell,, in that the grabber claimed to be on parrole, but also had gun, but anti says he couldnt turn him in for assult cause somehow anty would get trouble too!
dont all make sense!

MK

imported post

I am not sure this anti was even in jeopardy of trespass unless there is something in his laws that are way different than my own. Simply being at a party with a gun doesn't equal trespass.

Now if he was drunk with a gun, it can cause alot of problems.

I also don't see police just walking away from someone who is on parole, on house arrest, not only possesses a handgun but assaults, then brandishes and threatens to blow someone's brains out with witnesses around. If anyone needs to be taken away in a policeman's view, it would be that guy.

Maybe I am wrong but I just don't buy that story one little bit the way it is written. It either didn't happen at all, didn't happen in anyway close to what he was reporting or its just one of the most unlikely crazy things that did play out exactly as he says with the same kind of probabilityfound withwinning the powerball jackpot.

The odds of that happening with no severe police reaction seems to be about the same as a meteor landing on your hood as you're driving down the highway. That's just how it seems to me. How could the police not only justifythe trespass, ignorethe parolees possession and actions but then try to equate the two such that they should let byegones be byegones?

1245A Defender

imported post

youre right!! im not going to bring up anymore when folks say a gun grab never has happened.
i had not ever really thought about the story, or the stopped to smell the BS long enough
untill eye95 specificly asked about some confermation for the account!

Scalce

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Scalce wrote:
What would happen if someone snuck up behind you and tried to disarm you while OCing and you shot them?
I would have to say, the answer to that would probably depend entirely upon how good your aim is.

Thanks for taking one sentence of my original post and giving a very insightful answer.
:?

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Scalce wrote:
First, I am not a troll but this is my first post as I am new to the board.
Welcome!

What would happen if someone snuck up behind you and tried to disarm you while OCing and you shot them?
They would go to the hospital. :p To answer this you have to break it down into two parts. As far as someone sneaking up behind you, you should always remain aware of the things going on behind you, especially if you wear your gun in a hip holster or in the small of your back. Cross draw and shoulder holsters don't really have this problem. There is always the possibility, however remote, that you could be struck from behind and knocked unconscious whether or not you carry. Watch your six.

Do you have every legal right to fire at themeven if you do not know theyhave aweapon?

I know that some states, including SC,will only legally allow you to shoot someone if you believe they will cause you or someone else severe bodily harm, dismemberment, or death.

Does the possibility that an attacker may use your own weapon to harm or kill you, someone you are with, or innocent bystanders legally stand up to the definition of proper use of deadly force?
Alabama Code 13A-3-73:
A person may use deadly physical force, and is legally presumed to be justified in using deadly physical force in self-defense or the defense of another person pursuant to subdivision (4), if the person reasonably believes that another person is:

...(3) Committing or about to commit a kidnapping in any degree, assault in the first or second degree, burglary in any degree, robbery in any degree, forcible rape, or forcible sodomy...(emphasis added by me)
So, yes. I would be perfectly justified using any amount of force against someone who tried to steal my wallet, my gun, or my anal virginity. :uhoh:

Would you be liable if someone did disarm you and used your weapon to injure or kill someone else?
Maybe in a civil case, but not criminally. (IANAL)
However, in Alabama, if you shoot an innocent bystander while defending yourself you cannot use self defense as mitigating factor in any charge against you for shooting that third party.

I know that someone can just as easily get a concealed firearm away from you and you are not going to stop and make sure that an attacker is armed either way but they would not necessarilybe going directly for the gun if it was properly concealed compared to if you were targeted specifically because you had a firearm visible while OCing.
I agree, I think, but if you are targeted because you have a gun, the other guy probably does too. You are more likely to be shot for OCing (another remote possibility) than to be forcibly disarmed.

Personally I would be on edge while OCing even if I had training on stopping someone from disarming me and had a holster that had some type of retention device like a Serpa or something similar that officers use.
Carry whatever way is safest and most comfortable to you. The last thing you want is someone calling 911 because of a nervous-looking MWAG.

I know that officers have a higher percentage rate ofbeingdisarmed since they are more likely to deal with criminals on a daily basis but I would still be concerned with the possibilty no matter how slim.
Unless you routinely find yourself wrestling around with criminals, these two situations are too different to compare reasonably, IMO.

Dreamer

imported post

OK, I finally heard back fro FFX Co PD on the "gun grab" story from 2006 in Centreville VA, and got the REAL story in writing (well, email).

This story turned out to be a "false report". Here is the official word from Fairfax Co. PD (I've edited all the "personal" info to "sterilize" the report):

[align=left][/align]
Generally speaking we do not release police incident reports, therefore you will not find an archive on our web site. I was able to locate the case you refer to. A supplement written on July 30, 2006 indicates that the original "victim" who reported the crime was charged with filing a false police report. His name is Xxxxx Xxxxxxx Xxx, 23 of XXXX Xxxxxxx Xxxxx Xxx in Centreville (at the time the supplement was written). I do not know the disposition of the court case, you would need to contact the court for that information. Their contact number is 703-246-2221.

Don Xxxxxxxxx
Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
Web Content Manager
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Direct Line: (703) 246-2253
Office Fax: (703) 246-4253
[align=left]

Now, can we PLEASE dismiss this story as an "urban myth" once and for all?
[/align]
At least now we can now say, without a doubt, that there are NO known documentable cases of a citizen who was OCing having their gun stolen in a "gun grab" situation.

hopnpop

No,,, sorry eye, but ive read everything everwhere i could about anty506,, and the story of the gun grab was only his own report.. no documentation.

and there is a BS smell,, in that the grabber claimed to be on parrole, but also had gun, but anti says he couldnt turn him in for assult cause somehow anty would get trouble too!
dont all make sense!

How about on page 2 of the July 15 issue of GUN WEEK? "Man robbed during open carry"

A man openly carrying a handgun was robbed at gunpoint in Milwaukee, WI - where concealed carry is not legal - and now the outlaw has the citizen's pistol.

According to WTMJ news, the 34-year-old gunowner habitually carried a pistol on his belt. His neighbors reportedly knew he was always armed, and evidently the robber did as well because he got the drop on the armed citizen.

[paragraph removed]

He also reportedly said that open carry made him a target, so he is not going to do that anymore. However, he also said this adds fuel to the argument that Wisconsin should have a concealed carry statute. Currently, Wisconsin and Illinois are the only two states that do not have some sort of concealed carry law. A concealed carry law was vetoed twice by anti-gun Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat.

Open carry activists have argued that carrying guns where they could be seen is a deterrent to crime.

Obliously, Gun Week isn't a big proponent of OC, either. The last line irritates me. Since this one incident happened, it must mean that OC isn't a deterrent to crime in the least, after all. What a load. But I digress. I'll still be OCing today (and tomorrow, and the next day).