• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm such a hero!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm curious why, in spite of so much evidence to the contrary, why all the 'what ifs' and bogus 'it happened to me' stories all involve some damsel in distress and the big manly gun OCer saves the day.

When indulging in fantasy and/or tacticool pre-thought, why is it never the other way around?

Women do some downright mind-blowing evil sh!t, read. Men tend to be pretty straight-forward in simple violence. I'm not saying one is worse than another... But why is there no made-up scenario of catching a mother savagely beating her own children to death for soaking up the money she deserves before she gets a chance to blame it on her husband whom is at work earning said money??

Why always painting the picture of poor helpless angel girl and evil thug man whom you save her from? Real life is nowhere near that, so where is the benefit in exploring it; other than to try to look cool and manly?

Is it just an acceptable stereotype, and to suggest women ever do anything bad is not acceptable, even though factually more common?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Because its not "heroic" to save the children or husband.

The evil person must be as dangerous or more dangerous than the hero.Greek Mythology 101. Who would bother to read the story if Agamemnon had gone to save Troy from Helen?

:D

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Are you talking about in the movies, or what?
I'm talking about on this forum. Every unverifiable 'true self-defense experience' is centered around saving a damsel in distress...

Frankly, if she's dumb enough not to OC, that's her problem... OK, no, I couldn't turn a blind eye. But I wouldn't feel any need to brag about it, or make up stories...

Maybe I've been in that situation enough that I realize it's nothing to advertise as enviable. Having a gun and doing the right thing do not make you a man. Failing to would certainly mean you aren't, though.

Aaron1124

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
I'm talking about on this forum. Every unverifiable 'true self-defense experience' is centered around saving a damsel in distress...

Frankly, if she's dumb enough not to OC, that's her problem... OK, no, I couldn't turn a blind eye. But I wouldn't feel any need to brag about it, or make up stories...

Maybe I've been in that situation enough that I realize it's nothing to advertise as enviable. Having a gun and doing the right thing do not make you a man. Failing to would certainly mean you aren't, though.
Well, in my honest opinion, the best thing to do, is to take comfort in knowing what you would do. Others will post if they feel their ego needs the boost. Some don't feel the need to boast of such acts. As my avatar says,

"Humility - Value first the contributions of others; do not boast of your own accomplishments, let others do this for you. Tell the deeds of others before your own, according them the renown rightfully earned through virtuous deeds."

Dreamer

imported post

Sociopathy and evil are not sex-specific. There are evil, insane, violent and destructive women, just not as many of them on the scale as men...

For instance, the biggest financial terrorist in the history of the planet is Blythe Masters. She was a derivatives manager (now, instead of being in prison, she's CFO) for JP Morgan, and is one of the key people responsible for dreaming up the Credit Default Swap--the derivative instrument that was pretty much the operative factor in the rape and pillage of the economies of the US, Iceland, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Chile, and the UK from 2008-now by the big international banking cartels. She is also one of the big movers-and-shakers in the creation of the new Carbon Credits market system--a new derivatives system that is even more fictitious and fiscally reprehensible than CDS's. She is, by most accounts, the financial world's equivalent of Osama Bin Laden, Joseph Stalin, Adolph Hitler, Pol Pot, Vlad Tepes, and Ghengis Khan all rolled into one petite blonde package...

Warren Buffet described the Credit Default Swap in 2003 as a "financial weapon of mass destruction" in an interview with the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/2817995.stm

If someone like Buffet thinks a financial instrument is dangerous, then it's gotta be bad. Buffet calling a financial instrument evil is like Joseph Stalin calling someone else's government paranoid, or Chez Guevara calling someone "dangerously Leftist"...

So perhaps the reason why you don't hear much about people defending against evil women is because 1) there aren't as many overtly violent women in the world, and 2) when women are destructive, they generally are a LOT more secretive, covert, and stealthy in their prosecution of evil...

But I think it really comes down to basic statistical probability. More men commit acts of violence, so of course, more men will be portrayed in the media as violent criminals.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'm curious why, in spite of so much evidence to the contrary, why all the 'what ifs' and bogus 'it happened to me' stories all involve some damsel in distress and the big manly gun OCer saves the day.
Because Chuck Norris has pervaded the very fabric of our being.

But seriously, it is a good question relative to mental preparedness.

I do imagine that a possibledefensive encounter will probably have little resemblance to the Chuck Norris scenario in my minds eye. Thankfully, I've never had to find out.

U8Dust

Banned
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
ixtow wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

Well, in my honest opinion, the best thing to do, is to take comfort in knowing what you would do. Others will post if they feel their ego needs the boost. Some don't feel the need to boast of such acts. As my avatar says,

"Humility - Value first the contributions of others; do not boast of your own accomplishments, let others do this for you. Tell the deeds of others before your own, according them the renown rightfully earned through virtuous deeds."
who the hell do you think you are anyway? a ******* knight? get off your high horse and quit acting like your so superior with your holier than thao attitude and your stupid chivalry avatar

groats

imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'm talking about on this forum.  Every unverifiable 'true self-defense experience' is centered around saving a damsel in distress...
Your premise is false.
I am neither a damsel (in distress nor in a dress) and a gun saved me from a carjacking.

Why do you need to pretend that every account is about 'saving a damsel"? Got an agenda to flog?

arentol

imported post

ixtow wrote:

When indulging in fantasy and/or tacticool pre-thought, why is it never the other way around?
If there is so much evidence to the contrary of people making what ifs and bogus stories about saving damsels in distress why are you bringing this up at all? (In other words, you sentence structure internally contradicts what you are trying to say)

As to why it isn't the other way around, I imagine it is because most OCers are men, so it makes little sense that they would "what if" themselves into being a woman so they could save a mansel in distress. (Again, just pointing out that the actual sentence you ended up writing doesn't mean remotely what you intended).

Semper Paratus

imported post

I saved my 7y/o's Barbie doll from the lawn mower the other day. Dose that count as a rescued damsel. I mean I put my welbeing on the line. I could have sprained my thumb turning off the mower. What if I fell down while picking up the doll and hit my head on the engine. I could have got a lump on my head!!!! Just the memories of the traumatic experience kept me awake all night.:what::what::what:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

groats wrote:
ixtow wrote:
Your premise is false.
I am neither a damsel (in distress nor in a dress) and a gun saved me from a carjacking.

Why do you need to pretend that every account is about 'saving a damsel"? Got an agenda to flog?
I never said that. What I did say is quoted right there... Let me clarify.

The stories that don't check out are all about some guy trying to say he's so special. One man's triumph over some 'deadbeat' to rescue some helpless bimbo. Many shots fired, no newspapers noticed...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

arentol wrote:
ixtow wrote:

If there is so much evidence to the contrary of people making what ifs and bogus stories about saving damsels in distress why are you bringing this up at all? (In other words, you sentence structure internally contradicts what you are trying to say)
No. But as usual, my purpose isn't obvious.

That's why it doesn't make sense.

Yet.

So here it comes.

Why aren't women dreaming up fake stories like this? What would your non-carrying, hates-your-gun partner do for your children? For you?

Well, ok, that's not it. Just another part of it, the part that gets everyone talking about ego...

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Would it help to know that the one and only time I ever had to use a gun to save anyone other than myself it turned out to be a GB being knifed by some rival GBs? No shots were fired and I never even learned his name.

shotcop

Because its not "heroic" to save the children or husband.

The evil person must be as dangerous or more dangerous than the hero.Greek Mythology 101. Who would bother to read the story if Agamemnon had gone to save Troy from Helen?

:D

I've saved myself a few times and have saved others, only one was female, against determined foes but to honest if something happened where a female was involved as a potential victim, I would push her aside and face the demon myself. Sorry, we're hardwired that way. This is a good thing, it's why we have stronger upper bodies and harder emotions. Biology goes a long way towards making us who we are. I guess you can take heart knowing that Elton John would satnd down and depend on you for assistance, is this really what you want?
PS Also necessary is that the hero not only step up but prevail!
Though not one, my heroic deeds are well documented and avail to anyone who asks!

Last edited: