• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Continue to shop at Meijer to continue the Awareness

Wglide90

imported post

I guess I have opposing experiences and views of Meijer. I have shopped their stores for many many years and enjoy getting what I want at good price, and I support a Michigan based company. There's a Wallyworld across the street, but I rarelly go in there. My preference.

I OC in local Meijers nearly everyother day sometimes, everyemployee is very nice to me and I have not had one single moment of contempt by anyone.

Maybe some store's employees represent themselves first before knowing the company policies. Maybe these places need to be contected to support our patronage.

I shop at Meijer and I hope that someone's attude doesn't start to change the minds of the execs and change policy in a detrimental manner. I want to continue to OC in my Meijer.

I know many others have had perfect experiences in Meijer and I commend the company as a whole, supporting my right to carry.

I was there today and no problem at all.

That's my 2cents.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
I guess I have opposing experiences and views of Meijer. I have shopped their stores for many many years and enjoy getting what I want at good price, and I support a Michigan based company. There's a Wallyworld across the street, but I rarelly go in there. My preference.

I OC in local Meijers nearly everyother day sometimes, every employee is very nice to me and I have not had one single moment of contempt by anyone.

Maybe some store's employees represent themselves first before knowing the company policies. Maybe these places need to be contected to support our patronage.

I shop at Meijer and I hope that someone's attude doesn't start to change the minds of the execs and change policy in a detrimental manner. I want to continue to OC in my Meijer.

I know many others have had perfect experiences in Meijer and I commend the company as a whole, supporting my right to carry.

That's my 2cents.
meijers has a policy to leave it up to the individual store manager,so its hit and miss on the good ones and bad ones for now.

perhaps they will eventually change to simply follow state law

....and maybe give automatic permission to those w/o a cpl to carry:D

Wglide90

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:

I OC in local Meijers nearly everyother day sometimes, every employee is very nice to me and I have not had one single moment of contempt by anyone.

That's my 2cents.
meijers has a policy to leave it up to the individual store manager,so its hit and miss on the good ones and bad ones for now.

OK, I thought I had read here long ago that the company policy was to follow Mich law. If not my mistake. Anyway I still like my Meijer and they accept my payment everytime while OCing.

Anyway, I'm sure that local patrons of the Commerce store could approach the store management and start some dialog. Point out that most have open arms to OCrs.

If the corp is put in a positive light here, the corporation may catch on and make a good policy.

eastmeyers

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

OK, I thought I had read here long ago that the company policy was to follow Mich law. If not my mistake. Anyway I still like my Meijer and they accept my payment everytime while OCing.

Anyway, I'm sure that local patrons of the Commerce store could approach the store management and start some dialog. Point out that most have open arms to OCrs.

If the corp is put in a positive light here, the corporation may catch on and make a good policy.

+1

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:

That's my 2cents.

it's not just the commerce store. it's been several. specifically, i had an incident in marysville. they stone-walled me at every turn. i first went in to talk to the store director and was given a store manager instead. i left a tri-fold and business card and requested a call from the store director. this was almost a year ago. still no call. i have sent e-mails through the meijer website and the only reply i've received was that my question would be forwarded to the department who handles such concerns. again, no reply. i've sent email's that haven't even been responded to. i called corporate directly and was put on hold. when the lady/secretary/whoever came back on, i was told that corporate policy was to allow each store to decide for itself.
ETA: i too, like meijer, they sell good stuff at good prices. in fact i have to pass 2 meijers just to get to a walmart. it would be much more convenient for me to be able to shop at a meijer.

eastmeyers

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
Wglide90 wrote:

That's my 2cents.

it's not just the commerce store. it's been several. specifically, i had an incident in marysville. they stone-walled me at every turn. i first went in to talk to the store director and was given a store manager instead. i left a tri-fold and business card and requested a call from the store director. this was almost a year ago. still no call. i have sent e-mails through the meijer website and the only reply i've received was that my question would be forwarded to the department who handles such concerns. again, no reply. i've sent email's that haven't even been responded to. i called corporate directly and was put on hold. when the lady/secretary/whoever came back on, i was told that corporate policy was to allow each store to decide for itself.
ETA: i too, like meijer, they sell good stuff at good prices. in fact i have to pass 2 meijers just to get to a walmart. it would be much more convenient for me to be able to shop at a meijer.
I personally have OC'd at Meijer stores more times than people have been given the boot, plus the countless times others have OC'd at Meijer stores without any issues, so we are looking at a 100 to 1 ratio? I know it would be a million times better if they just made a policy to fallow federal, state, and local law, than a few being kicked out at a store or two. Just an FYI I have emailed Meijer myself, I don't know if I will get a response or any changes but its worth a shot. We shall see. Anywho, God Bless all, and Carry-On ALL!

hopnpop

imported post

I, too, have only had (+) experiences when OCing at Meijers. I regularly shop at 2 Meijers stores and sometimes a 3rd, and to date, haven't had a single problem. For that, I'm appreciative. I thought it was Meijer corp policy to align with state laws regarding carry, also, and just a few days ago found that it's left to the individual store's manager(s). I found that troubling, even tho I personally haven't had an issue. Now I have to be concerned with the possibility of having an issue, and sympathize with those who already have.

Knowing that at any time, I could be asked to leave the store because I'm OCing, it's a little harder to keep shopping there. I, too, would like the corp to make a solid "yay or nay" on carrying in their stores. I don't want to be there for an hour and a half or more, filling my cart, only to abandon it because some manager has mixed feelings or misconceptions or even different politics than I about firearms. The manager could kick you out simply due to an inferiority complex! That's just not right in my book. Make a ruling, yay or nay, so I/we at least know for certain.

Prometheus

imported post

FWIW here in NW Indiana (and all over Indiana) I've carried openly and never had a problem. Once a week ever week for 4 years into the same Meijer, never a problem and at least 100 other times in a dozen+ Meijers around the state and never an issue either. I'm not the only one who does either. Never heard of a negative experience with a store employee in a Indiana Meijer.

Scooter

imported post

I enjoy shopping at Meijer often and have never had any kind of issues.

( I have had no issues at any stores I have shopped at :celebrate :cool:)