Thread: Holding your weapon...

Post imported post

I have seen a great deal of shooting styles. Two thumbs high, one thumb out, so on and so forth. How do you hold yours? I use the thumb over thumb method.

First seen at BGO
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

I tend to use parallel thumbs, simply because it's comfortable and repeatable for me. I found this video of Todd Jarrett some time ago, and it seems my grip is pretty much the same as his , but my shooting is not .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Post imported post

hhahaaha
    OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    I tend to use parallel thumbs, simply because it's comfortable and repeatable for me. I found this video of Todd Jarrett some time ago, and it seems my grip is pretty much the same as his , but my shooting is not .

I'm in this same camp. That parallel thumbs grip that Todd teaches was a HUGE improvement. More control, faster shot-groups, and quicker recovery.

If you're using a 1911-style pistol, his methods are very helpful...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I think it would depend on the circumstance target practice it would be thumb over thumb like the OP's picture, in a self-defense scenario it would probably be one hand out front for defense and my strong side (gun side) foot back away from the attacker as I pull and probably use it one handed. if the target wasn't focused on me I would probably revert to the practice target stand of two handed thumb over thumb (as in op) again with strong side foot back at an angle. I can't think of the name of that stance.

but thankfully I've never had to test out the theory I've played out in my head as to how I would do this and we all know what happens to the best laid plans when they make contact with the enemy.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    buster81 wrote:

I'm in this same camp. That parallel thumbs grip that Todd teaches was a HUGE improvement. More control, faster shot-groups, and quicker recovery.

After watching him and some others, I have changed my grip, but only slightly.I rotated my support hand so the weak thumb and strong index finger are parrallel. It just goes into place now.

Post imported post

The stance you're thinking of is the Weaver stance. As far as the best laid plans go, everybody has a plan until something happens, and then all you can do is fall back on your training. Unfortunately, most people never rise to the level of their expectations. Thankfully, we are all of the mindset that we will do what's necessary to stop the madness.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    buster81 wrote:

Too bad I'm on campus - I'll have to watch this video again when I get home so I can check my grip. Since I use a 1911, this is very good advice
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

My grip is similar to OP's.

After much practice it is natural and my shot placement for repetive shots are better.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

I'm a Chapman style shooter myself. Probably the most popular of the "modified Weaver" stances.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n28572318/

Post imported post

Thumbs up, one on top of the other...the correct way.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

One things for sure; I don't regularly fire my pistol with only One hand. Hollywood sure makes that look easy...

Post imported post

Ride the thumb safety on the guns that have one. Weak thumb close and parallel. (Hands as high as possible.)

With Glocks I put the thumb above the thumbindent. I even have skateboard tape there on the big Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-6FTVhcgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P61V-11KjYY

Post imported post

I was always putzing around with grip. I saw the Todd Jarret video a few years back and been using that grip ever since.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

You're missing something Wolf, but this ought to help you out.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

I dont like those 2handed shooting stances, I feel restricted. I'm a one handed shooter. I figure that ifI need 2 hands to use a gun it's going to be either a shotgun or rifle.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
    I have seen a great deal of shooting styles. Two thumbs high, one thumb out, so on and so forth. How do you hold yours? I use the thumb over thumb method.

First seen at BGO

Post imported post

I have the best luck using my non-firing hand as a "platform" for my firing hand. I know it does nothing for recoil control or getting back on target, but for me it is a more stable firing position. Getting back on target doesn't help if you're not on target in the first place.

Post imported post

Ian, I'd like to know if I'm doing it wrong because it has allowed me to qualify multiple times at multiple ranges, or could it be because it's what's comfortable for me? Perhaps the video you linked us to will show us all what we need to know, because no one is right but you? Normally, I wouldn't respond this way, but I really don't think I should be attacked for presenting an idea for conversation. I don't understand the need to be flippant.

Am I doing this wrong, too?

ETA: I do appreciate the video, as it shows a different aspect and variation of shooting styles, and reinforces it with self defense in mind. Thank you for posting that.

Banned

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    You're missing something Wolf, but this ought to help you out.
    awesome

Post imported post

As always there is no single best answer but what works best for you. I would drive you nuts because the only consistent hand hold I have is when I am shooting one handed bullseye style.

For everything else from plinking to hunting to PPC style shooting my grip changes according to what I am doing and I do it with either hand. My philosophy is you never know what you will have to do in crunch time and its good to be comfortable in a variety of styles.

That being said I will more often than not find myself in a modified Weaver stance even though I probably practice and teach Weaver more than anything else. I just don't let myself be restricted by some firm inflexible guideline or style.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

Post imported post

Yea. Try shooting IDPA or similar. Where you have to use a lot of cover. You will find Iso/weaver stances leave way too much of your body exposed from cover. You will be doing all sorts of stuff you never thought of.
    If your super-anal about cover and don't care about your time, like me, you will eventually start tilting your gun at lease 45 degrees around corners, so your hands are concealed. You will do quick-peeks to ID everyone in a room,, and then never ever let them see skin again. How? Because you hide your hands, and you don't look down the sights at room-distance. You see the edge of their shoulder and point-shoot them center of mass / headshot. This way when you are shooting you never present anything other than steel to the target's line of sight.

You won't be the fastest shooter by far. I know I'm not. I don't shoot IDPA with that goal. I try and use the most cover. I am competing against myself, with the goal of real world survival. The simple truth is, you don't have to be the fastest or shoot flies off a dog's ****. (Unless your goal is trophys)

It's also why I shoot .45acp 1911 in IDPA when there is no power penalty for shooting 9mm. Also it is more expensive.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c