• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holding your weapon...

OPS MARINE

imported post

I have seen a great deal of shooting styles. Two thumbs high, one thumb out, so on and so forth. How do you hold yours? I use the thumb over thumb method.

4585612357_e0b08e8415.jpg

4586236870_eb6594bdc7.jpg

First seen at BGO

Dreamer

imported post

buster81 wrote:
I tend to use parallel thumbs, simply because it's comfortable and repeatable for me. I found this video of Todd Jarrett some time ago, and it seems my grip is pretty much the same as his :), but my shooting is not :cry:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
I'm in this same camp. That parallel thumbs grip that Todd teaches was a HUGE improvement. More control, faster shot-groups, and quicker recovery.

If you're using a 1911-style pistol, his methods are very helpful...

CrimsonSoul

imported post

I think it would depend on the circumstance target practice it would be thumb over thumb like the OP's picture, in a self-defense scenario it would probably be one hand out front for defense and my strong side (gun side) foot back away from the attacker as I pull and probably use it one handed. if the target wasn't focused on me I would probably revert to the practice target stand of two handed thumb over thumb (as in op) again with strong side foot back at an angle. I can't think of the name of that stance.

but thankfully I've never had to test out the theory I've played out in my head as to how I would do this and we all know what happens to the best laid plans when they make contact with the enemy.

buster81

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
buster81 wrote:
I tend to use parallel thumbs, simply because it's comfortable and repeatable for me. I found this video of Todd Jarrett some time ago, and it seems my grip is pretty much the same as his :), but my shooting is not :cry:.

I'm in this same camp. That parallel thumbs grip that Todd teaches was a HUGE improvement. More control, faster shot-groups, and quicker recovery.

After watching him and some others, I have changed my grip, but only slightly.I rotated my support hand so the weak thumb and strong index finger are parrallel. It just goes into place now.

OPS MARINE

imported post

The stance you're thinking of is the Weaver stance. As far as the best laid plans go, everybody has a plan until something happens, and then all you can do is fall back on your training. Unfortunately, most people never rise to the level of their expectations. Thankfully, we are all of the mindset that we will do what's necessary to stop the madness.

elixin77

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Too bad I'm on campus - I'll have to watch this video again when I get home so I can check my grip. Since I use a 1911, this is very good advice

Huck

imported post

I dont like those 2handed shooting stances, I feel restricted. I'm a one handed shooter. I figure that ifI need 2 hands to use a gun it's going to be either a shotgun or rifle.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
I have seen a great deal of shooting styles. Two thumbs high, one thumb out, so on and so forth. How do you hold yours? I use the thumb over thumb method.

4585612357_e0b08e8415.jpg

4586236870_eb6594bdc7.jpg

First seen at BGO

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

Daddyo

imported post

I have the best luck using my non-firing hand as a "platform" for my firing hand. I know it does nothing for recoil control or getting back on target, but for me it is a more stable firing position. Getting back on target doesn't help if you're not on target in the first place.

OPS MARINE

imported post

Ian, I'd like to know if I'm doing it wrong because it has allowed me to qualify multiple times at multiple ranges, or could it be because it's what's comfortable for me? Perhaps the video you linked us to will show us all what we need to know, because no one is right but you? Normally, I wouldn't respond this way, but I really don't think I should be attacked for presenting an idea for conversation. I don't understand the need to be flippant.

Am I doing this wrong, too?

ETA: I do appreciate the video, as it shows a different aspect and variation of shooting styles, and reinforces it with self defense in mind. Thank you for posting that.