Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: got a new pistol

Post imported post

I am a 18 year old female and i just got this springfield xd .40 s&want to start open carrying.I think I got a hang of the laws but i am nervous i am going to get stop by police because i look likeI am12 and have a .40 my hip.I have been pulled over becauseI look too young.I want to see if this happens a lot. does anyone have anything like this happen to them. I also want to get stories from females and see if they get a hard time with open carrying

please and thank you :celebrate

Banned

Post imported post

you look 12? lol
    When I shave I def look younger but when I have my beard trimmed i look 26-27( or so im told)
    Ive oc'd every time I walk my dog around, with and without beard never been hassled about it.
    If a cop came up to you and stopped you he would most likely ask for your ID which you do not need to provide
    If he asks you if you are 18 simply answer yes.

In my opinion if the cop is level headed and polite I would have no problem handing over my ID, they are after all, just doing their jobs.

If it was a terry stop I would refuse to hand my ID over.

I would suggest to get a lil more comfortable with OCing by walking with other OCers or doing something that helps distract from it, when I first started I just walked my dog around the park and downtown clarkston, I think the cute puppy helps people think that I am just a person walking my dog instead of a MWAG, I walked with another person on here once and that DEFINITELY helped.

Once you get a lil more comfortable you will feel more at home.
    There is a picnic right by you on the 15th of may in warren, I would go to that if you could.
    I am also setting one up on the 6th of june in rochester hills and by all means you are more than welcome to attend, the picnics helped me feel less nervous

Good Luck

Kris

Post imported post

I would love to come on the 15th but cant make it. but that you for the invite and I would love to try to come to the one on the 6th. I thought about going on a walk with my puppy and open carrying but my puppy isnt that cute. I have a trainning collar that looks like a mussle but is not. I did not put this on my puppy she would be hard to walk.

thank you for the reply!

Banned

Post imported post

Dont mention it, and be sure to post in my picnic thread if you wanna come so I can keep a running list!

Post imported post

I will be sure to

Post imported post

Pictures or it didn't happen.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Banned

Post imported post

malignity wrote:

OMG
    A GIRL ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!
    ~BIG BOLD LETTERS CHECK
    ~Demand Pictures CHECK

well played sir

Post imported post

Sorry got to go someone turned me off this site.

Post imported post

Sorry got to go someone turned me off this site.

Banned

Post imported post

Welcome Shorty I carry an XD .40 as well. Hope to see you around sometime.

The best things I can suggest, is to carry a digital voice recorder, and dont say any more than necessary to a LEO. (see the thread Wash Rinse Repeat).

Since you dont have a CPL, you want to be aware of 750.234d. Notice the word "premises". Lots of people miss this, and it simply means you cant be anywhere on the property, not just in the buildings listed in the law.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(32w...e=mcl-750-234d

Banned

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Welcome Shorty

oops, I see you joined up in 09. My bad.:?

Post imported post

Beerme wrote:
    malignity wrote:

OMG
    A GIRL ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!
    ~BIG BOLD LETTERS CHECK
    ~Demand Pictures CHECK

well played sir
    Give me a break dude. I'm getting married in 26 days. For @#$%s sake people need to relax on this god damned site.

I don't know about you, but I don't often see females even daring to OC. If anyone's going to leave the site for that, seriously, then you all need a Xanax.

It's the internets people, it ain't serious.

Oh and Beerme...

Big bold letters. CHECK.

And a finger to go with it.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

18,F and OC?

sweet.

love seeing people my age getting into it.

umm...if you wanna get comfortable w/ OC feel free to come out to an event,theres a few younger people around!

and i know a few females that carry,not all of them being members on here,they could help you get more comfortable with it possibly
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    18,F and OC?

sweet.

(it took me 5 mins to come up with something to say)

umm...if you wanna get comfortable w/ OC feel free to come out to an event,theres a few younger people around!

and i know a few females that carry,not all of them being members on here,they could help you get more comfortable with it possibly
    Careful now, don't dare ask for pictures. I thought it was an impossibility too.

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    18,F and OC?

sweet.

(it took me 5 mins to come up with something to say)

Careful now, don't dare ask for pictures. I thought it was an impossibility too.
    i wont....i promise.... unless its of the gun.

but erm...if ya want,im sure we could scrounge some people up for an OC event to help ya get more comfy with it

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    Big bold letters. CHECK.

You could always just apologize...that works too.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    malignity wrote:
    Big bold letters. CHECK.

Bronson
    The finger was to Beerme.

And no, I will not apologize for him being a ***** to my playful and joking nature.

I'll even edit it, so there's no confusion. *Takes a bow*

Jesus Christ, people. You're all so ******* serious.

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    malignity wrote:
    Big bold letters. CHECK.

Bronson
    Thank you. All i wanted was some adivce on OC I joined this site in 09 but have not been on much. I have never OC because for one I didnt own a pistol and two I do not feel like being being stopped by the police without someone who has opened carried. My boyfriend who OCs cant go on walks because of his back. So I thought maybe someone can give me an idea to make it less weird for me to go on a walk OC on my own

Post imported post

what exactly are you looking for?

Post imported post

I am not sure. I got the dog idea but it would not work for me only because my dog is still learning how to walk on a leash

Post imported post

hypershorty wrote:
    I am not sure. I got the dog idea but it would not work for me only because my dog is still learning how to walk on a leash
    what kind of dog?(forgive me if it was posted above,i didnt notice it)

Post imported post

Hypershorty, don't take offense to what I said. I'm not being a perv, or anything stupid like that. In a society where OC is HIGHLY dominated by men, I was a bit taken aback. Don't leave the site because of me, or my sarcasm. People here either love me or hate me, and most probably hate me, but hey, I accept that, and I'm still willing to help any time.

I know you said you can't make the 15th, but keep an eye out, cause there's going to be plenty of events this summer. Everyone here is fairly knowledgeable about the laws of OC, and can give advise in one way shape or form.

Personally, I'm in the same boat with you, as far as OC goes. I do not OC alone, but have no problems doing it in crowds. If you're wondering why, it's because I live in Warren, which is notorious for being VERY anti-OC. We've had Warren Police pile-drive people to the pavement, draw guns on people, etc for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and I know that in a group, this is probably much less likely to happen. The last thing I need is to be tazed by some vigilante when I have a pacemaker. (It'll kill me, so I've been told.)

Good luck with things, and hopefully we can help out more.

Post imported post

hypershorty wrote:
    Thank you. All i wanted was some adivce on OC I joined this site in 09 but have not been on much. I have never OC because for one I didnt own a pistol and two I do not feel like being being stopped by the police without someone who has opened carried. My boyfriend who OCs cant go on walks because of his back. So I thought maybe someone can give me an idea to make it less weird for me to go on a walk OC on my own
    I first OC'ed on my own when I was 19.

It took a good 4 months before I ever got harassed by the police.

Things to do:
    Dress well. I'm not saying you have to wear your sunday best, but keep in mind, you are an ambassador and are representing the rest of us as well.

Don't fumble with your firearm in public. Once it's in the holster, don't touch it, unless you're removing it to stow it for transport or to use it. If you need to adjust your holster, go to the bathroom or something.

People will ask you questions. Be prepared to answer them, or to carry pamphlets to give them. Either is fine.

Know the law. The one I most commonly use is "Both Attorney General Mike Cox, and Governor Jennifier Granholm have gone on the record as saying that open carry is legal."

You do not have to give a Police Officer your ID. Michigan is not a "stop and identify" state. All you're legally required to give them is your name and address. They might ask you for your ID. It is your choice whether to politely refuse or not.

Read "Wash, Rinse, Repeat"

Things I'm commonly asked / told:
    "Are you a police officer?"
    "Are you a detective?"
    "Are you DEA?" (asked at a hotel in Detroit-area)
    "Is that a real gun?"
    "Is that loaded?"
    "You can't do that."
    "Do you have a concealed weapons permit?"
    "You MUST conceal that! You're violating the law!"

Hopefully this sufficiently prepares you.

Good luck, hope to see you at a picnic or whatnot.

-Richard-

Post imported post

office888 wrote

Don't fumble with your firearm in public.
    This may or may not come natural at first. I hate to say this, but I admit, but I had a problem with my hand bumping my holster, getting in the way, or just generally getting comfortable in general at first.

A lot of this has to do with getting the right holster.

Get something small, that isn't bulky, and isn't going to get in your way. I've learned this lesson the hard way, and have 4 holsters and only one handgun. Go figure. lol

Post imported post

hypershorty wrote:
    Some people hate him but I used many of Cesar Millan's ideas with our dogs and saw a radical difference in their behaviour in a very short time. The trick is to be consistent and this means that everybody has to be on the same page and it has to be the sameall thetime.

I haven't read this particular book but it might be worth a look http://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Perf...314&sr=8-1

And if you haven't checked out Kathy Jackson's great site Cornered Cat you might want to head over there. It is full of great firearms information with much of it tailored specifically to women.

Also, I got into holster making because mygirlfriend has a hard time finding a holster thatfits her. A woman's shape can be particularly challenging when it comes to fitting a holster since most are made with the idea that they will be used by men. I've done a lot of research on the subject so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast