• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

got a new pistol

lil_freak_66

imported post

hypershorty wrote:
I am not sure. I got the dog idea but it would not work for me only because my dog is still learning how to walk on a leash
what kind of dog?(forgive me if it was posted above,i didnt notice it)

malignity

imported post

Hypershorty, don't take offense to what I said. I'm not being a perv, or anything stupid like that. In a society where OC is HIGHLY dominated by men, I was a bit taken aback. Don't leave the site because of me, or my sarcasm. People here either love me or hate me, and most probably hate me, but hey, I accept that, and I'm still willing to help any time.

I know you said you can't make the 15th, but keep an eye out, cause there's going to be plenty of events this summer. Everyone here is fairly knowledgeable about the laws of OC, and can give advise in one way shape or form.

Personally, I'm in the same boat with you, as far as OC goes. I do not OC alone, but have no problems doing it in crowds. If you're wondering why, it's because I live in Warren, which is notorious for being VERY anti-OC. We've had Warren Police pile-drive people to the pavement, draw guns on people, etc for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and I know that in a group, this is probably much less likely to happen. The last thing I need is to be tazed by some vigilante when I have a pacemaker. (It'll kill me, so I've been told.)

Good luck with things, and hopefully we can help out more.

office888

imported post

hypershorty wrote:
Thank you. All i wanted was some adivce on OC I joined this site in 09 but have not been on much. I have never OC because for one I didnt own a pistol and two I do not feel like being being stopped by the police without someone who has opened carried. My boyfriend who OCs cant go on walks because of his back. So I thought maybe someone can give me an idea to make it less weird for me to go on a walk OC on my own

I first OC'ed on my own when I was 19.

It took a good 4 months before I ever got harassed by the police.

Things to do:
Dress well. I'm not saying you have to wear your sunday best, but keep in mind, you are an ambassador and are representing the rest of us as well.

Don't fumble with your firearm in public. Once it's in the holster, don't touch it, unless you're removing it to stow it for transport or to use it. If you need to adjust your holster, go to the bathroom or something.

People will ask you questions. Be prepared to answer them, or to carry pamphlets to give them. Either is fine.

Know the law. The one I most commonly use is "Both Attorney General Mike Cox, and Governor Jennifier Granholm have gone on the record as saying that open carry is legal."

You do not have to give a Police Officer your ID. Michigan is not a "stop and identify" state. All you're legally required to give them is your name and address. They might ask you for your ID. It is your choice whether to politely refuse or not.

Read "Wash, Rinse, Repeat"

Things I'm commonly asked / told:
"Are you a police officer?"
"Are you a detective?"
"Are you DEA?" (asked at a hotel in Detroit-area)
"Is that a real gun?"
"Is that loaded?"
"You can't do that."
"Do you have a concealed weapons permit?"
"You MUST conceal that! You're violating the law!"

Hopefully this sufficiently prepares you.

Good luck, hope to see you at a picnic or whatnot.

-Richard-

malignity

imported post

office888 wrote
Don't fumble with your firearm in public.
This may or may not come natural at first. I hate to say this, but I admit, but I had a problem with my hand bumping my holster, getting in the way, or just generally getting comfortable in general at first.

A lot of this has to do with getting the right holster.

Get something small, that isn't bulky, and isn't going to get in your way. I've learned this lesson the hard way, and have 4 holsters and only one handgun. Go figure. lol

Bronson

imported post

hypershorty wrote:
I am not sure. I got the dog idea but it would not work for me only because my dog is still learning how to walk on a leash

Some people hate him but I used many of Cesar Millan's ideas with our dogs and saw a radical difference in their behaviour in a very short time. The trick is to be consistent and this means that everybody has to be on the same page and it has to be the sameall thetime.

I haven't read this particular book but it might be worth a look http://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Perfect-Dog-Puppyhood/dp/0307461297/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273560314&sr=8-1

And if you haven't checked out Kathy Jackson's great site Cornered Cat you might want to head over there. It is full of great firearms information with much of it tailored specifically to women.

Also, I got into holster making because mygirlfriend has a hard time finding a holster thatfits her. A woman's shape can be particularly challenging when it comes to fitting a holster since most are made with the idea that they will be used by men. I've done a lot of research on the subject so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Bronson

Beerme

Banned
imported post

malignity wrote:
office888 wrote
Don't fumble with your firearm in public.
This may or may not come natural at first. I hate to say this, but I admit, but I had a problem with my hand bumping my holster, getting in the way, or just generally getting comfortable in general at first.

A lot of this has to do with getting the right holster.

Get something small, that isn't bulky, and isn't going to get in your way. I've learned this lesson the hard way, and have 4 holsters and only one handgun. Go figure. lol
this is a fact the way I got over it is open carry around my house and property until it gets to the point where you dont notice it that much, as malig said it may come naturally at first.

Gosirr

imported post

hypershorty wrote:
I also live in Hazel Park. If you would like to meet up at green acres and walk our dogs and oc, I'm willing to meet you. PM me a phone number or we can just set a time and date to meet up there. I oc in Hazel Park all the time, never had any issues.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Shorty, be proud of your rights, they belong to you. I look at it this way, and Ive said this before in other places, let the criminals spies and assassins conceal their weapons, as for me and the LEOs we are on the same side, let us carry our arms boldly in plain veiw. We have nothing to hide and nothing to fear.

I cannot and will not be intimidated by a system, or inhibited by others to hide my rights in my pocket. My personal freedoms, and my safety are of greater importance than the irrational fears of others. People claim to be intelligent and educated, but although common sense says that you are safer with a gun than without, they are afraid of those who carry. They then refuse to acknowledge the constitution they studied in school to get that education.

Criminals do not carry their guns openly in public, this goes against their nature. A criminal wants to stick to the shadows, to go un noticed. He/she wants to have the element of suprise, they want to hide, and watch to see who is watching them. It is a very powerfulpsychological phenomenon. They would not also carry openly because they would not want to be foiled in their attempts to crime before they get a chance to commit it.

A big factor in how the interreaction with the police will go, is in how you act with them, and right before you meet them as they will be observing you. Keep your head up, stay confident, but not arrrogant. You have nothing to fear or hide, dont act like you do. If you see them approaching you, smile, and greet them. Show them the respect they deserve and sometimes desire. If you dont come off as a criminal or some freedom fighting militia stereotype, but as an average person who happens to be wearing a gun, then they will more often than not begin to treat you like you should be treated.

lil_freak_66

imported post

hypershorty wrote:
I am a 18 year old female and i just got this springfield xd .40 s&want to start open carrying.I think I got a hang of the laws but i am nervous i am going to get stop by police because i look likeI am12 and have a .40 my hip.I have been pulled over becauseI look too young.I want to see if this happens a lot. does anyone have anything like this happen to them. I also want to get stories from females and see if they get a hard time with open carrying:D

please and thank you :celebrate

erm question......is "looking young" RAS? thats been in the back of my mind for awhile now.

lil_freak_66

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Yes. If they see you drinking, smoking, driving, or carrying a gun and youre not of age, they can check to see if what youre doing is legal.
but how does one legally decide whom looks underage?

i know guys that have been of legal age for 15+ years and still can look underage if they dress and groom the right(or wrong,depending how u look at it) way.

could one go to say brian and say he is just a gigantic fat kid(just messin w/ ya man!),and try to disarm him and check everything?

or mike stilly perhaps.

how does one legally decide if someone looks underage to do what they are doing?

malignity

imported post

Good question.

The other day I got carded for lotto tickets.

Fricking lotto tickets. Are you serious? I'm almost 30, have a full beard, and a head full of salt and pepper grey hair.

Give me a break. :cuss:

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
Good question.

Fricking lotto tickets. Are you serious? I'm almost 30, have a full beard, and a head full of salt and pepper grey hair.

I have been carded buying ammo from Meijers and Dunhams before.

In your 40's, you may be happy they think you are young! :idea:

lil_freak_66

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
malignity wrote:
Good question.

I have been carded buying ammo from Meijers and Dunhams before.

In your 40's, you may be happy they think you are young! :idea:
id say its a compliment if they think your young.but if they think your underage thats like givin ya the finger imo.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

hahaha.

Anyhow, I dont agree with using the excuse that they thought you were underage, I find it highly irritating, but it does happen. Sorta like disarming you for "officer safety" when they know good and friggin well that youre not a threat.

hypershorty

imported post

Thank you everyone it has helped a lot. I hope to come to an event sometime. :celebrate

I know that looking young is not a bad thing but at the same time I do not want to deal with some police officers. I deal with officers on a regular basis on good terms and ask them what they thought of OC and they both said they would find away to arrest the person. This is why I am so nervous about OCing.

Thank you again everyone.:)