Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: What would you do if this happened to YOU?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    The confiscation of your weapons by the police and national guard. This is a video that includes actual footage of a confiscation of an elderly woman's firearm, among other interviews of people who had their firearms taken from them by government officials.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9...eature=related

  2. #2
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    This is a tough question. It's difficult for me to put myself exactly in that position because I wouldn't have been there at that time. I would have been several hundred miles inland, simply because as Katrina approached, it was apparent it wasn't going to be pretty. I have a bug out plan for a number of events. As it applies to your question, part of the plan is for the evacuation of all my firearms (at least if I ever get any more afterI lost them all in a tragic boating accident :X)

    That doesn't help those that cannot leave because they don't have the means, or are elderly, etc. I think if I find myself in that position, I will plan on hiding firearms I intend to keep. Proper preparation and burial is one good method, unless the area is flooded.

    It's tough and I feel for the old lady in particular that was beaten up by the goons with badges. Carma should visit them promptly.

    So, what do you think? If you were in their shoes whatwould you do?

    As a LEO, what do you do with those orders?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    It's a tough one for me as well, primarily because I am going through the testing process to get in to local law enforcement. Both the police and the national guard would probably face consequences if they did not carry out these direct orders, regardless if it be fines, suspension without pay, dishonorable discharge, or termination of employment. Again, they each have a right to refuse an order if it violates the law or the constitution, which I feel this very well did violate both.

    What would I do as a private citizen? Now that's a very hard one. Both the Police SWAT Team and National Guard are at my door step with highly powerful weapons. I am simply me. It would be foolish to try to fight them for it, because I would obviously lose. First, I would know that I have the right to not open the door. No warrant, no open. If they barge in anyway, the best thing I can think of is to cooperate with them fully, try to get as many names, badge numbers, and other important info as I could, and hopefully have a voice recorder to get everything on tape. Preferably a video camera.

    After all the dust settles, I would contact an attorney, explaining the situation. From there, I would probably contact the representing agencies, whether it be the city, county, or state, and file a complaint, and pursue with a lawsuit, and pursue it to the highest degree possible.

  4. #4
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    Aaron1124 wrote:
    Both the Police SWAT Team and National Guard are at my door step with highly powerful weapons. I am simply me. It would be foolish to try to fight them for it, because I would obviously lose.
    That is true. Losing that battle might cost you your life.

    Makes hiding at least some stuff you don't want confiscated a good idea.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Snakemathis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    I'd make em take it out of my cold dead hands. That pretty much answers that. LOL
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    If this type of stuff continues to happen across the U.S., it makes me wonder how long it will take for rebel militias to form and start fighting back, physically.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Snakemathis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Prescott Valley, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    107

    Post imported post

    Aaron1124 wrote:
    If this type of stuff continues to happen across the U.S., it makes me wonder how long it will take for rebel militias to form and start fighting back, physically.
    In all honesty, I'm in the same boat you are. One of the things that worries me the most, is that I have a legitimate fear of civil war. Hell, two years ago I was still saying "It couldn't happen in my life time" but now we're getting to the point as a country that I actually do worry of such an event taking place.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037

    Post imported post

    Aaron1124 wrote:
    SNIP: they each have a right to refuse an order if it violates the law or the constitution
    Just a note - they have a duty to refuse an unlawful order, not merely the right if it suits them.

  9. #9
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    The best thing that could have happened after Katrina when word got out about the confiscations would have been for the people to ban together, fully armed, and to have told the "authorities", "not today, not tomorrow, not ever". I rather doubt the "authorities" would have opened fire on several dozen heavily armed citizens who refused to be disarmed.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  10. #10
    Regular Member flagellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    I don't know if you guys have hear of "Oathkeepers" but that would be a good thing to get into if you are LEO/Military.

    The sad thing is, despite their Duty to reject unlawful orders I doubt many would refuse such orders (As far as I know, no one durring Katrina did) and the Patriot would likely suffer career ending reprimand. Just ask Michael New. http://www.mikenew.com/
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

  11. #11
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756

    Post imported post

    I would like to think that the United States is such a unique country that things like wholesale confiscation of arms and police and military firing upon it's citizens would not happen.

    And then I look at the History of other countries..........

    And I look at the things that are happening right here, right now......

    And I wonder........
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  12. #12
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    cabbitone wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    The best thing that could have happened after Katrina when word got out about the confiscations would have been for the people to ban together, fully armed, and to have told the "authorities", "not today, not tomorrow, not ever". I rather doubt the "authorities" would have opened fire on several dozen heavily armed citizens who refused to be disarmed.
    I'm sure some one will post links but its happened. When I get some more time(at work currently) I'll updated with links. When when you say you doubt they would, do you mean you doubt they would because they are in fear of return fire? Or because you think that they will do the right thing?

    I'm curious, even though there would be virtually no way to ever get an accurate number, how many people after being disarmed were victims of one crime or another.
    Well several reasons, really, Many of the people who partook in the confiscation were local residents and I seem to recall there were some who voiced concerns about what was happening. Local people are less likely to open fire on other local people. Then there is the idea of facing a force of arms when it is not expected.

    While there are some who might blindly or fervently, welcome hostilities against armed citizens, I would bet they are in the minority. Still, there is that possibility. The idiots, err mayor and police chief, may think twice when confronted by an angry and resolute group of citizens telling them to put it where the sun don't shine when it comes to taking their guns.

    Remember, the spark that ignited the American Revolution was gun control.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  13. #13
    Regular Member flagellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post


    Remember, the spark that ignited the American Revolution was gun control.

    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    flagellum wrote:

    Remember, the spark that ignited the American Revolution was gun control.
    Yes & what would I do ?

    OPEN FIRE !!!!!!!!
    From my Cold Dead Hands !
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  15. #15
    Regular Member Walt_Kowalski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ashburn, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    355

    Post imported post

    They are in for a lengthy standoff.. IMHO.. enough time for them to think about no violating my civil rights
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    The thing about discussing "what would you do" in response to government attacks is that its a dangerous slope to go down during periods of calm when its not happening.

    Lets say you are in some type of private and armed organization, such as a simple local militia. Lets say you and your friends draw up contingency plans just in case some fictional or hypothetical scenario evolves where as it leads you down the path to armed resistance to an out of control or martial law orientated move by our government againstits citizens in general.

    Should you then talk about plans about how to oppose through force, the police or armed forces, today's peace time feds can, and possibly will go, after you on conspiracy charges. If they feel your political views, your tax protests, your odd religious beliefs are any kind of mind threat to them, they may come after you or even set you up with any kind of thing they can get, and sell, to the American public.

    Look at Ruby Ridge, Waco, Ed Brownand possibly even most recently with the Hutaree militia in Michigan and even what they did over the Liberty dollar stuff. There are countless cases of the government coming after individuals and groups just because they speak common sense or a desire for disassociation.

    Its nice to have a plan but if its a good enough one, they could very well come guns a blazing and destroy you. They've done it before.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Mas49.56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    Can't do it legally in Florida if you're hunkered down at home or at your place of business.



    870.044* Automatic emergency measures.--Whenever the public official
    declares that a state of emergency exists, pursuant to s. 870.043, the following acts shall be prohibited during the period of said emergency throughout the jurisdiction:

    (1)**The sale of, or offer to sell, with or without consideration, any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.

    (2)**The intentional display, after the emergency is declared, by or in any store or shop of any ammunition or gun or other firearm of any size or description.

    (3)**The intentional possession in a public place of a firearm by any person, except a duly authorized law enforcement official or person in military service acting in the official performance of her or his duty.

    Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of firearms that are lawfully possessed, unless a person is engaged in a criminal act.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    I don't know if you guys heard about the neighborhoods that blockaded themselves off and cooperatively stood guard. They were not disarmed. They all had weapons and they were made out to be some sort of racist rednecks shooting at innocent blacks.

    Individuals will be disarmed or killed... neighborhoods who all stand together armed will be neither disarmed or killed.

    So I guess the answer is... make plans now. Get to know your neighbors and plan for disaster as a community, because the alternative is to get looted by the government or criminals or both.

    Here are several stories about how the militia were the only ones able to keep their weapons;

    Armed militia protects its New Orleans neighborhood
    http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/cont...A_ALGIERS.html
    Residents Stay to Protect Neighborhood From Looters
    http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...168509,00.html

    There are more stories, but they make out the people protecting their homes as the criminals and the looters who were shot into victims.

    But the point I am making is that when the neighborhoods fought back... the police and the National Guard did not disarm them... I guarantee there would have been a shoot out had the police or National Guard tried.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    I don't know if you guys heard about the neighborhoods that blockaded themselves off and cooperatively stood guard. They were not disarmed. They all had weapons and they were made out to be some sort of racist rednecks shooting at innocent blacks.

    Individuals will be disarmed or killed... neighborhoods who all stand together armed will be neither disarmed or killed.

    So I guess the answer is... make plans now. Get to know your neighbors and plan for disaster as a community, because the alternative is to get looted by the government or criminals or both.

    Here are several stories about how the militia were the only ones able to keep their weapons;

    Armed militia protects its New Orleans neighborhood
    http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/cont...A_ALGIERS.html
    Residents Stay to Protect Neighborhood From Looters
    http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...168509,00.html

    There are more stories, but they make out the people protecting their homes as the criminals and the looters who were shot into victims.

    But the point I am making is that when the neighborhoods fought back... the police and the National Guard did not disarm them... I guarantee there would have been a shoot out had the police or National Guard tried.
    I have spoke to 4 of the people that live on the street, We would stand and protect our street. I am sure the others would also stand. One guy across the street is Supply Sgt in the local Army Reserve unit which is 4 blocks away, bet he could have a few cases of 556 & 9mm dropped off.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  20. #20
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    Glock34 wrote:
    Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
    I don't know if you guys heard about the neighborhoods that blockaded themselves off and cooperatively stood guard. They were not disarmed. They all had weapons and they were made out to be some sort of racist rednecks shooting at innocent blacks.

    Individuals will be disarmed or killed... neighborhoods who all stand together armed will be neither disarmed or killed.

    So I guess the answer is... make plans now. Get to know your neighbors and plan for disaster as a community, because the alternative is to get looted by the government or criminals or both.

    Here are several stories about how the militia were the only ones able to keep their weapons;

    Armed militia protects its New Orleans neighborhood
    http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/cont...A_ALGIERS.html
    Residents Stay to Protect Neighborhood From Looters
    http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...168509,00.html

    There are more stories, but they make out the people protecting their homes as the criminals and the looters who were shot into victims.

    But the point I am making is that when the neighborhoods fought back... the police and the National Guard did not disarm them... I guarantee there would have been a shoot out had the police or National Guard tried.
    I have spoke to 4 of the people that live on the street, We would stand and protect our street. I am sure the others would also stand. One guy across the street is Supply Sgt in the local Army Reserve unit which is 4 blocks away, bet he could have a few cases of 556 & 9mm dropped off.
    Just remember, if it just you... an individual... they'll drop you without looking back... but if its a whole street... or even several blocks... like a neighborhood watch that makes plans for natural disasters and neighborhood protection... they won't have the same opportunity without getting the wrath of the nation down on their heads.

    It all goes back to what Benjamin Franklin so aptly said "We must all hang together or surely we will hang separately!" This is still very true today. The old lady who was brutalized by police was alone... but imagine if instead, her whole block was armed and stopped the police at the outskirts and escorted them from house to house.... the little old lady would never have been brutally attacked by the police.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    The cops get to do what they do, because people are scared of them......During a disaster...we can't afford to be scared of the cops , Military or the Bad guys....Everyone has to band together for our own survival. Otherwise individually we get victimized by the cops, mil & the criminals.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    That is an awesome picture.

    It would be even more awesome if they had some black neighbors standing shoulder to shoulder with them as well. I would really love to see that messege sent.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048

    Post imported post

    Do they have body armor? Because that's one thing the police and military will have, for sure.

  24. #24
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    MK wrote:
    That is an awesome picture.

    It would be even more awesome if they had some black neighbors standing shoulder to shoulder with them as well. I would really love to see that messege sent.
    Looks like the guy with the revolver to the left of the sign isn't caucasion. I too would love to see more cross diversity in citizens standing up for their rights.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    Aaron1124 wrote:
    Do they have body armor? Because that's one thing the police and military will have, for sure.
    Most Body Armor that the police use, Level 3A - will stop Hand gun rounds only, not good for Rifle rounds. 30-30 , 30.06, 5.56, 308 WILL GO RIGHT THROUGH. To stop rifle rounds you need Level 4 stand alone Sapi Plates, etc. The Multi hit ceramic plates are even more expensive & heavy. & body armor don't stop head shots so as long as your a crack shot they WILL go down.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •