• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained and disarmed while OC (Video)

mspgunner

imported post

We have so many 2nd amendment groups it weaken the effort. Shawn wrote:
zekester wrote:
I think is time to set up a St. Louis chapter of Opencarry.org....

If that is done, then as a group we can fight (sue) any of these.

I am willing to talk to a Lawyer friend of mine and see if will take it on, but of course it will take money.

If the lawyer and I set up a non-profit organization to take care of this....will anyone be willing to donate?

All donations will be for the defense of "legal" issues in regards to open carry and the defense of the Constitution....State or Federal.

I have not talked to the lawyer as of yet, and he may say NO....

I am just askingif anyone is interested.

I do not want to take over the Crestwood Starbucks this weekend, but it may be a good opportunity to discuss it.

Let me know what you think

Zeke

I think a MoCDL group, pushing for constitutional carry would be better. Not knowing anything about your friend, attorney's need to be scrutinized. Look what happened to Joyce. I went and talked to his attorney and looked over his brief (after the case)...all I can say, is again, looked what happened to Joyce.

The Joyce case had an effect on all of us in the State and both Federal and State courtshave cited Joyce as precedent on restricting RKBA.

So if Doc wants to pursue this, it is paramount thatit be done right.

Broondog

imported post

sohighlyunlikely wrote:
Broondog wrote:
BTW, was that a Tok you were carrying?

You know your guns Broondog. My current OC gun is a chromed out Tokarev Model 213,carried in a Russian military surplusleather skeleton holster.

I want to thank everyone for there input and support.

Doc

i thought so. i picked up one of the TTC's when they hit the market in force a few years back. i've since sold it but it wasn't a bad gun. and the 7.62x25 round is a hot little round.

though chrome says "hey look at me. i have a gun!". not my personal choice but hey, who am i?

cash50

imported post

Doc...wow how did you stay so calm??

I can't take it when cops ask for ID when you've done nothing wrong.

I also can't stand when cops interject their opinions into stuff, you aren't on the farm...duh...you're in "downtown" St. Charles. You can't open carry here, you'll scare somebody. This is a progressive area full of diverse cultures and ideas and... oh wait, nevermind I was thinking of some place else.

What is it with everyone's obsession with CCW?? CCW---you must pay money to exercise a right...derf.

It was nice of the guy to apologize. But still if you weren't super polite with them violating your rights then they would have pissed all over you.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

I received my apology
patch.php

Doc

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Iacceptedmy apology by phone. I was told that OC was discussed in the locker room of the PD and now that it has been brought to light, that an legal OC citizen does have a good chance of deterring crime through the presents of an exposed firearm. I was told that the cities attorney was brought in and they feel if the state says it is legal they have no desire to forbid it in their jurisdiction. St Charles current crime rate is at an all time high and my presents OC is being viewed as a possible deterrent to crime.

If you need more details than that you will have to buy me a drink at Starbucks and talk to me there.

Doc

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

YuppieDog wrote:
WTF-:shock:-You are happy about being talked about in a "locker-room" and now we have to buy you a coffee to get info from you. :shock:
Cops impressed enough about him to talk about it in the locker room..... There is simply NOTHING THAT I CAN SAY IN A FAMILY FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT ABOUT THIS!:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

MK

imported post

open carry of a gun in a locker room has taken on a whole new meaning, me thinks.

Glad to see the officer gave you some feedback. Kudos all the way around on this one.

zekester

imported post

Festus_Hagen wrote:
zekester wrote:
Sorry.....But I would still sue

That's part of America's problems right now. everyone wants to ....

I just can't see, where it would be permissible under the Constitution, where this is legal under any stretch of the imagination.

Festus, if you feel that we should give the authorities a break, then I must ask a question. When does that end?

We as citizens are not given a break because of "ignorance of the law", but we should give this privilege to the authorities that are supposed to enforce these samelaws?

"And a reasonable officer is presumed to know clearly established law,
see, e.g., Harlow, 457 U.S. at 818-9"

It is one thing to sue because you spilled hot coffe in you lap, but this is about our rights as Citizens of the U.S.A.

The minute we let "them" decide what our rights are, is the end of the Constitution as we know it.

Whats next? Can't wear an American Flag t-shirt at school during Cinco-Demyo?....Oh wait, that just happened in California.

Again, just my opinion. ( And as you can see, I am pretty opinionated...lol)

Z

Carnivore

imported post

Festus, if you feel that we should give the authorities a break, then I must ask a question. When does that end?

There will be time in court, if this officer/dept. continues to challenge citizens rights, The way the two armed citizens handled themselves might be the begining of a wonderful relationship between armed citizens and LEO in St Charles, Lets just hide and watch. I only CC through my daily travels, because my minutes are precious when I'm in transit. I hope Missouri has the opportunity to full preemptionOC againsoon.

Festus_Hagen

imported post

zekester wrote:

We as citizens are not given a break because of "ignorance of the law", but we should give this privilege to the authorities that are supposed to enforce these same laws?

I've been given a break by the law a few times when I was speeding, went through a yellow light, etc. when I was respectful to the officer. Hell, when I was 18 I was let off for speeding while drunk with no license, so yea, I HAVE been given a break. These cops were not throwing these guys on the ground and cuffing them, they detained them for a few minutes to get stuff squared away. Should they have known the law better? Sure. I think the OP and his buddies did a fine, respectful job of showing the officers where they were wrong, and the officers returned that respect. I didn't think the one would actually apologize, but I am impressed that he did, as I'm sure the OP is also. You don't get that respect from alot of officers really.

So yea, I wouldn't get "sue happy" on this encounter. Some day, you may NEED to get sue happy.

zekester

imported post

So I guess we should give all LEO's a break because they do not even know the law in which they are to enforce?

I too have been given a few breaks, but not one....and I repeat...not one has ever violated my civil rights.

We can agree to disagree, but this was a clear violation in which the officer should have known better.

To lay low or to hide and accept this, is exactly what they want. They, the LEO's would not want anything else for this to go away. Why you ask?

They "now" know it was wrong.

It still not excuse them for the blatant violation of Doc's civil rights.

Again, I see were you all are coming from with the OC thing and for that I am all for it. But as far as the violation, I just can't see that there is any excuse for it.

When or where is it stated that it is up to the Citizen ofthe US to explain the laws of the Country to the people that should know those laws.

The only way in which to inform the "masses" and those hired by US, is through a court case which will bring to light the abuses of power granted to the LEO.....Granted...in this case, the officer was civil and admitted that he was wrong, but the "fact" and I will reiterate "FACT" is that he was wrong.

Ihave no animosity toward this officer, and none against the St Charles Police Department, as I know many officers, but the "FACT" still remains that this was clearly against the law.

Doc can and will do what he wants to do, and I respect that more than you may ever know. I just know that I would pursue this for a fewreasons.

First, this was indeed a violation the the 4th Amendment.....this cannot be acceptable inany case.

Second, it would give light to the exemption which is needed to pass in the state.

Third, perhaps Joyce vs. Cape would go away.

As always this is only my opinion, and I respect all that may agree or disagree, besides I love a great debate.

Z

zekester

imported post

The "man" is in your life whether you accept it or not.

Every encounter with a citizen effects how the "man" will deal with you.