• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Safety Holster

Dreamer

imported post

Considering the astoundingly high incidence of Glock owners shooting themselves due to bad re-holstering techniques (as compared to other types of firearms) I would speculate that Glock doesn't want to take the change on getting sued when someone shoots themself in the foot using one of their guns AND one of their purpose-built holsters.

I'm not saying that Glock owners in general are any less competent than any other type of owner, but I think it's pretty much an established fact that Glocks are involved in more "negligent discharges" than any other kind of handgun.

Just ask Washington DC's Metro Police. When they switched to Glocks from revolvers in the late 1980s:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/dcpolice/deadlyforce/police4page1.htm

In the first 10 years DCMP carried Glocks, they racked up 120 ND's, killed one person they didn't intend to kill, wounded 9 innocent citizens. and nineteen officers shot themselves or other officers when they didn't intend to.

(an interesting side note: if you look at the map of NDs, 17 of them occurred OUTSIDE of the District--in MD. OUTSIDE of their Jurisdiction. And most of them were WAY outside--not like they were chasing someone on foot near the border, I mean like over 5 miles into PG county...WTF?...)

Sure, I think we can all agree that DCMP is perhaps one of the most under-trained, incompetent, and goofball-ridden metropolitan police forces in the nation, but that's a LOT of bullets flying around that should have never left the gun.

The Glock is a fine weapon. In trained hands it is inherently safe, and VERY effective and reliable. But there seem to be a LOT of folks carrying them--professionally and as "civilians"--that just don't know when to keep their fingers off the bang switch.

I imagine Glock knows that, and just doesn't want to risk any more litigation than they already are...

Maybe you can find one on EBAY...

junkie

imported post

Why do they sell the holsters in other countries than? They would be just as liable there as they would here.

Also, the whole argument about Glocks going off easier than other guns is over blown. Any gun will go off when the trigger is pulled. I know in stressful situations people do weird things, but come on people....keep the fingers off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. I absolutely love my Glock and wouldn't trade it for anything

B.D. WALKER

Why do they sell the holsters in other countries than? They would be just as liable there as they would here.

Also, the whole argument about Glocks going off easier than other guns is over blown. Any gun will go off when the trigger is pulled. I know in stressful situations people do weird things, but come on people....keep the fingers off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. I absolutely love my Glock and wouldn't trade it for anything

I agree. Anyone can shoot themselves with any gun, the whole thing is just a rumor spread by Glock haters. After all the Glock is similar to your conventional revolver (i.e aim and shoot) without any unnecessary safety mechanisms slowing you down.

That said I was looking for this holster too, don't know if you found a site or store yet?

Dreamer

I agree. Anyone can shoot themselves with any gun, the whole thing is just a rumor spread by Glock haters. After all the Glock is similar to your conventional revolver (i.e aim and shoot) without any unnecessary safety mechanisms slowing you down.

That said I was looking for this holster too, don't know if you found a site or store yet?

Liability and tort laws are VERY different in Europe and Asia than they are here in the US. Here, all you have to do is show that a manufacturer was aware there are issues (not problems, or malfunctions, but simply "issues") with a product to hold them liable.

In Europe, Asia, and most of th erest of the world, you have to be able to show in a court that the manufacturer INTENTIONALLY put out a product that they KNEW to be defective, dangerous, or was known to malfunction in order to hold them criminally liable.

And the idea of holding a corporation civilly liable is almost unheard of outside the US.

It's a MUCH higher standard of proof in most of the world, for liability cases, and few courts outside the US will even hear a product liability case.

Glock can sell their holsters to citizens outside the US for 2 reasons:

1) in most nations outside the US, the only people who can own handguns are cops, military, and the VERY wealthy--none of which are likely to sue if they have a injurious ND, and

2) Even if a Glock owner outside the US DD decide to sue over an ND, there isn't a court in the world (outside the US) that would hear the case.

Glock knows where it is safe to sell their holster, legally. And they feel that if they sold their purpose-built holster in the US, and people STILL had NDs while reholstering (which happen with Glocks more than any other semi-auto--this is NOT a myth, it's been documented by the DOJ, and numerous municipal LEAs) it would look VERY bad for them if a victim brought a civil liability suit...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Glocks. I own and carry a Glock 36 daily. It's a fine firearm, and it is just as safe as any other DA pistol I've ever owned or used. It's reliable, lightweight, and accurate.

But the fact remains that the lack of any sort of manual safety on the Glock requires a relatively high level of training and trigger discipline for safe handling. It doesn't take much to pop off a round with a Glock if your finger is in the trigger guard, especially in a stressful situation...

DC Metro PD has averaged about 10 NDs a year since they adopted the Glock. The facts don't lie.

The Glock is a fine, safe, accurate, and reliable firearm--IF you know how to handle it safely and follow the manual of arms. But it doesn't leave much "margin of error" with regards to trigger discipline, and THAT is the issue here...

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

This one?
Glock%20Safety.JPG

I just don't see anything about it that's not done better by other manufacturers. The 'Sport/Combat' holster on the other hand is fantastic for being a minimalist holster.

strife1013

+1 :) I love my Glock.

Anyways I found a place that sells them.
http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/6890_Glock+Combat+Holster/?return=?tpl=search&search_val=glch01

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

Maybe it's just the dc police and their big fingers? What is causing the discharges while reholstering? Is something hitting the trigger?

As far as the shootings going all the way into of county it is vert common for someone to break the law and escape into MD from DC. Traffic is a factor in why they don't run the other way. When I worked at pg hospital I can't tell you have many times that dc and of cops were both bringing suspects in to be treated after a chase.

Dreamer

No that is not the one the OP is talking about. That is the "Sport" holster. The OP was talking about the "Glock Safety Holster", which is a level-2 retention holster, using a thumb-actuated lever to lock the gun in the holster. It's sort of like a cross between the Serpa mechanism and the Bianchi CarryLok, but a lot more clunky and WAY less sexy...

http://www.glock.com/english/acc_safetyholster.htm

Attachments

• bg_safetyholster.jpg
    bg_safetyholster.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 356