Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: La. open carry walk, march etc???

Post imported post

I just want to know how many people in La. under the right circumstances and location would be willing to have some kind of planned walk. I am not talking anything specific at this point...but I have been hearing people talk about this for YEARS...walking alone is one thing but a planned peaceful stroll in an agreed upon place and time will not happen with out everyone who has SOME KIND of interest in the subject just momentarily dropping the fighting and name calling long enough to make it happen.

I am willing to do this to further the cause of OPEN CARRY in La...ANYONE else???? I will meet and walk with ANYONE here in a public place if the method and manner can be worked out. Any specifics can be worked out as long as there are enough intelligent minds cooperating on this ONE thing.

By specifics I mean..(place, time, organized or not?, rules?, media informed or not?, checking for school zones, permit needed?, people filming the whole thing for future use (you tube, safety, legal reasons etc) law enforcement notified?, open to anyone or registration only,etc)

If you have an interest in doing something constructive (instead of just attacking and insulting each other) under the right circumstances then say so....

Post imported post

What would be your idea of a purpose for the "walk"? Why would we be gathering? An approximate location or venue? These are important questions to address early which will determine if anyone wants to show up.

If you have no purpose (education of the public, demonstration for or against something) then that's not much different than the OC breakfasts we already have on occasion. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure we talked about having an OC day at the park with a small table set up for handing out flyers to the public as an educational outreach.

Who's going to take the ball and make the event happen? You? Mark?:what: Someone else?

Now with all that said I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in a get together and/or an organized demonstration. For me, I'd be game depending on the answers to the above.

Post imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
    What would be your idea of a purpose for the "walk"? Why would we be gathering? An approximate location or venue? These are important questions to address early which will determine if anyone wants to show up.

If you have no purpose (education of the public, demonstration for or against something) then that's not much different than the OC breakfasts we already have on occasion. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure we talked about having an OC day at the park with a small table set up for handing out flyers to the public as an educational outreach.

Who's going to take the ball and make the event happen? You? Mark?:what: Someone else?

Now with all that said I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in a get together and/or an organized demonstration. For me, I'd be game depending on the answers to the above.
    Thats fair enough...lets see how many other people will say they are interested under the right circumstances. ANYONE ELSE willing to at least express an interest depending on the answer to certain questions???

Post imported post

+1

my schedule is tough, and although I may not be able to actually make an event like this, I am interested. Lets do something within the next month, way before it gets too hot. (oh, too late, its gonna hit 87 degrees today)

Post imported post

I for one think a "family Day" open to the public type thing would be a wonderful idea. You know a cook out, games for kids,I would volunteer my services and my grill and charcoal(I have apretty bigpit on wheels) If a few of us contributed a box of burgers from wal mart etc. this thing could be huge. Horseshoes, vollyball, Raffle an airsoftgun gun for boys and somthing for girls. The whole time passing out flyers and such.There are enough of us that thge shared expense would be nill, I have a horseshoe,vollyball set already, Notification in the paper as well as FREE ads on the community calendar on TV could realy bring our cause into the public eye.

You guys wanna do this thing, let Me know. The wife and I would love to be involved. On my week off I am availabvle 24 hours and would be glad to do the footwork. Let Me know what needs done and I have a week to acomplish it.

Good idea estrch.

Post imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
    I for one think a "family Day" open to the public type thing would be a wonderful idea.* You know a cook out, games for kids,I would volunteer my services and my grill and charcoal(I have a*pretty big*pit on wheels) If a few of us contributed a box of burgers from wal mart etc. this thing could be huge. Horseshoes, vollyball, Raffle an airsoftgun gun for boys and somthing for girls. *The whole time passing out flyers and such.*There are enough of us that thge shared expense would be nill, I have a horseshoe,vollyball set already, **Notification in the paper as well as FREE ads on the community calendar on TV could realy bring our cause into the public eye.

You guys wanna do this thing, let Me know. The wife and I would love to be involved. On my week off I am availabvle 24 hours and would be glad to do the footwork. Let Me know what needs done and I have a week to acomplish it.

Good idea estrch.
    Good ideas..lets see how many other people that come to this forum are willing to participate in some form of get together....there are many things that have to be figured out..for example.....are parks even available for open carry? Alcohol banned??? etc.

Post imported post

I like the idea of some type of family friendly event also. Under the right circumstances and not just a way for someone to start trouble. I also think we should inform the media, and everyone remember we are all on the same side.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Post imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
    I like the idea of some type of family friendly event also. Under the right circumstances and not just a way for someone to start trouble. I also think we should inform the media, and everyone remember we are all on the same side.
    I was just discussing in a p.m.to a member my reservations on the subject of Americans even being able anymore to make something happen and to organize anything without personal issues getting in the way. Do you really believe in a cause enough to compromise with other like minded individuals. Do Americans always need a LEADER to accomplish simple tasks.

I do not think an umbrella organization needs to be in charge...If individuals (who do not always agree or get along) can make something work through this forum that in itself would be a powerful message. I do not think anyone here wants ANY trouble and if there is no formal organization its much harder for some outside influence to infiltrate and cause problems. My own thoughts...any others either pro or con?????

If anyone has knowledge on the rules regarding open carry in the city or state park system that would be helpful or any other location that would be of interest. Picnic bbq has been mentioned and I have no problem with that format.

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    NRAMARINE wrote:
    I was just discussing in a p.m.to a member my reservations on the subject of Americans even being able anymore to make something happen and to organize anything without personal issues getting in the way. Do you really believe in a cause enough to compromise with other like minded individuals. Do Americans always need a LEADER to accomplish simple tasks.

I do not think an umbrella organization needs to be in charge...If individuals (who do not always agree or get along) can make something work through this forum that in itself would be a powerful message. I do not think anyone here wants ANY trouble and if there is no formal organization its much harder for some outside influence to infiltrate and cause problems. My own thoughts...any others either pro or con?????

If anyone has knowledge on the rules regarding open carry in the city or state park system that would be helpful or any other location that would be of interest. Picnic bbq has been mentioned and I have no problem with that format.
    I think everyone interested in participating will need to compromise a bit. However I also believe we need to all be clear on the objective of such an activity. We need to set an example, that we are not criminals or nut jobs. In other words we need to hold ourselves to a high standard and present a united front.

P.S. The BBQ idea sounds outstanding.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Post imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
    estcrh wrote:
    NRAMARINE wrote:

I think everyone interested in participating will need to compromise a bit. However I also believe we need to all be clear on the objective of such an activity.* We need to set an example, that we are not criminals or nut jobs. In other words we need to hold ourselves to a high standard and present a united front.

P.S. The BBQ idea sounds outstanding.
    bbq and or pot luck is good with me, lets see what anyone else has to say. Some simple things first.....open carry in city or state parks,is it legal?....What city??...No school zone in the area for sure!!....how do you address the alcohol issue...is a permit needed for a get together?...

The objective????? That should be to have a self planned event with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!!! It should be VERY simple and uneventful. Just some people from different walks of life who have one thing in common..to show that you can wear a gun in public and be a normal person at the same time. How hard can that be?????

Post imported post

I would think no alcahol would be a good idea. We do want this to be family friendly I would think and booze andguns just don't mix. Also if the media were to be aware of this the last thing we would need is for a photo of someone drinking wearing a gun to surface. As far as I know, the parks in hammond are all in school zones I think.

Post imported post

estrch - given your past incendiary posts and personal attacks on members here, I'm not so enthused about your new outreach initiative.

I urge everyone here to read some of estrch's past posts and proceed with extreme caution!

Post imported post

As much as we all love an ocasional cold beer, I whole heartedly agree, no alchahol, that would open a whole new can of worms. As far as permits, etc. I leave for offshore tomm. and will be gone 2 weeks , however if not resolved by the time I get back, I would be happy to do the foot work.

Gotta tell ya guys, this sounds like fun.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    estrch - given your past incendiary posts and personal attacks on members here, I'm not so enthused about your new outreach initiative.

I urge everyone here to read some of estrch's past posts and proceed with extreme caution!
    Excellent point... proceed with caution...

Post imported post

barf wrote:

From me:
    I am willing to do this to further the cause of OPEN CARRY in La...ANYONE else???? I will meet and walk with ANYONE here in a public place if the method and manner can be worked out.
    Braf..and you have never 'attacked" anyone here??? Is thats whats important to you..attacking me some more...why are you even here? People can say ANYTHING to me...right to my face even..it doesnt bother me a bit..its just some words....so go for it...get it all out...now.... is that a yes or no for you Braf????..not so enthused.....thats not exactly yes or no.

Post imported post

City Parks
    Two candidate parks that I know of.... I may be a bit partial to these locations due to them both being within 15 minutes of me.

I know positively that John Slidell Park is outside of GFSZ. Heritage Park is close to Slidell Junior High, approx. 3 blocks away, but not within 1000ft. I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entance to the park." I will make a drive by this afternoon for a check at Heritage park.

Heritage Park is about 20+ acres, we wouldn't neccisarily have to rent the gazebo, as there are 7 separate covered picnic table shelters in the park that are, first come - first serve. Two of those shelters have 2 picnic tables.
    Code:
    http://www.slidell.la.us/rec_parks.php

Heritage Park - 1701 Bayou Lane (behind the old Slidell Train Station on the Front Street)
    Open daily from 6am -10pm
    Features:
    Large gazebo
    Scoggin Station
    Children's playground
    Splash Pad
    7 shelters
    Picnic tables
    Restroom area
    Park benches throughout
    Walking/jogging path
    Boat launch, no charge
    Gazebo Rental:
    4 hours $100 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
    4 hours $100 for recognized non-profit organizations
    Scoggin Station Rental:
    4 hours $75 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
    4 hours $75 for recognized non-profit organizations

To book, please call the Recreation Department at 985-646-4371.
    Please note that no pets, skateboards or skates are allowed in Heritage Park.
    ...Directions

John Slidell Park - 105 Robert Blvd
    Open M - F 10am-5pm
    Open daily and for scheduled events
    Features:
    4 Ball fields and 1 multipurpose field
    Playground equipment
    Picnic tables
    Gymnasium
    Jogging & walking trails
    1 Fully contained pavillion
    Rental Fees:
    Fully Contained Pavillion
    $100.00 (/ 4 hrs) 8 a.m.- 10 p.m.
    $50.00 refundable deposit
    ...Directions

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    City Parks
    Two candidate parks that I know of....** I may be a bit partial to these locations due to them both being within 15 minutes of me. ***

I know positively that John Slidell Park is outside of GFSZ. * Heritage Park is close to Slidell Junior High, approx. 3 blocks away, but not within 1000ft.* I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entance to the park."* I will make a drive by this afternoon for a check at Heritage park.

Heritage Park is about 20+ acres, we wouldn't neccisarily have to rent the gazebo, as there are 7 separate covered picnic table shelters in the park that are, first come - first serve.* Two of those shelters have 2 picnic tables.
    Code:
    http://www.slidell.la.us/rec_parks.php

*Heritage Park - 1701 Bayou Lane (behind the old Slidell Train Station on the Front Street)
    Open daily from 6am -10pm
    Features:
    Large gazebo
    Scoggin Station
    Children's playground
    Splash Pad
    7 shelters
    Picnic tables
    Restroom area
    Park benches throughout
    Walking/jogging path
    Boat launch, no charge
    Gazebo Rental:
    4 hours $100 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
    4 hours $100 for recognized non-profit organizations
    Scoggin Station Rental:
    4 hours $75 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
    4 hours $75 for recognized non-profit organizations

To book, please call the Recreation Department at 985-646-4371.
    Please note that no pets, skateboards or skates are allowed in Heritage Park.
    ...Directions

John Slidell Park - 105 Robert Blvd
    Open M - F 10am-5pm
    Open daily and for scheduled events
    Features:
    4 Ball fields and 1 multipurpose field
    Playground equipment
    Picnic tables
    Gymnasium
    Jogging & walking trails
    1 Fully contained pavillion
    Rental Fees:
    Fully Contained Pavillion
    $100.00 (/ 4 hrs) 8 a.m.- 10 p.m.
    $50.00 refundable deposit
    ...Directions
    sounds to good to be true, I cant imagine that guns are not on the list of prohibited items...

Post imported post

georg jetson wrote:
    barf wrote:

Excellent point... proceed with caution...
    Now George..cant we all just get along??? I PROMISE I wont say ANYTHING mean to you!!

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entrance to the park."
    lol. Yes, let that sign be your determining factor.

Post imported post

Getting with the "family theme", She made mention to "inflatables" ... the things kids play on, super jump, bouncers or whatever.... That if we wanted to rent one and have it setup at the park, that we could, just that we would be required to rent out one of the gazebos and provide our own generator, as the power available at the park would not push the blower motor for a continuous time.

EDIT: I'm really going to make an effort to go by there this afternoon to see about any signs.

Post imported post

Gun advocates wear holstered weapons and bring machine gun to rally in Maine park
    By David Sharp - Associated Press | Published: 04/26/10 at 6:31 PM

About 75 gun rights supporters — most of them wearing side arms — gathered in a public park to exercise their Second Amendment rights Sunday, enjoying hamburgers and hot dogs as joggers trotted by and a small group of demonstrators gathered nearby.

Shane Belanger, a University of Southern Maine student who organized the display of guns, which included a machine gun mounted on a jeep, said the aim wasn’t to frighten anyone. Instead, he said, the goal was simply to show that people have a constitutional right to bear arms.

“A right unexercised is a right lost,” Belanger said as the gas grill warmed up on a sunny afternoon. “We’re law-abiding citizens, just having a barbecue.”

Dave Nelson, of Gorham, brought his restored olive drab 1951 Willys jeep with an operable .30-caliber machine gun mounted in the back and a box of ammunition. He said he doesn’t like what’s happening in the country when it comes to work ethic and government intrusion into people’s lives.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/04/26/gu...in-maine-park/
    from>>>

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    Slidell Jim wrote:
    I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entrance to the park."
    lol. Yes, let that sign be your determining factor.
    A bit more helpfull...

I can't find an ordinance attempting to regulate Art 1 Sec 11 in Slidell... If Slidell is determined to be the hosting city for the OC activity, I would recommend others check the code themselves... here's the link...

http://library3.municode.com/default...tion=whatsnew#

Post imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
    Getting with the "family theme", She made mention to "inflatables" ... the things kids play on, super jump, bouncers or whatever.... That if we wanted to rent one and have it setup at the park, that we could, just that we would be required to rent out one of the gazebos and provide our own generator, as the power available at the park would not push the blower motor for a continuous time.

EDIT: I'm really going to make an effort to go by there this afternoon to see about any signs.
    EXCELLENT

Post imported post

San Francisco
    Small groups of armed Californians have been turning up at cafes and coffee shops with handguns holstered to their belts to raise awareness about gun rights and what they call unfair limits on concealed weapon permits.

Skip to next paragraph
    Photo Gallery
    The debate over gun rights
    Related Stories

A constitutional right to hunt? Voters in three states to decide.
    More guns equal more crime? Not in 2009, FBI crime report shows.
    The loosely organized “Bay Area Open Carry Movement” will gather in the Presidio, a national park in San Francisco, on Saturday, just days after a new law took effect allowing weapons to be carried in national parks and wildlife refuges.

David LaTour, a student at San Jose State University, has been carrying his Springfield XD 9mm handgun on his hip for about a month now and plans on attending the event, in which gun rights advocates will be picking up trash in the park and, they hope, talking to anyone interested in state gun laws.

In Pictures: The debate over gun rights

California allows its citizens to openly display and carry unloaded weapons without a permit, but many gun advocates complain that the state is too restrictive when it comes to issuing licenses to carry concealed weapons.

“I looked into concealed carry permits, but unless you’re well-connected it’s impossible to obtain,” says Mr. LaTour. However, he says, “I personally prefer open carry because of the visual deterrent.” (Monitor report: “Cities’ gun restrictions begin to topple”)

Carrying unloaded guns is legal

Safety is the No. 1 reason that many open carry advocates give for displaying their weapons. While they can’t legally carry loaded guns, they can have ammunition as long as it’s not attached to their weapons.

“You can have a functioning loaded weapon in two seconds,” says LaTour.

While the gun owner meet-ups around the Bay Area have been raising awareness about the state’s gun laws, they have also been raising eyebrows. After the groups met at Peet’s Coffee and Tea and the California Pizza Kitchen, both banned weapons from their premises.

Starbucks has also been a favorite spot for open carry groups, prompting the anti-gun violence group the Brady Campaign to launch a petition to convince the coffee chain to ban guns from its shops.

“There is a growing ‘open carry’ movement among gun activists, who seek to make a political statement by gathering in coffee shops, restaurants and other public locations with their guns openly on display,” the Brady Campaign said in a statement. “Given the absence of meaningful regulation of open carry in the vast majority of states, more and more Americans will be faced with the intimidation and danger of confronting guns in public places.”

So far Starbucks hasn’t kicked out its gun-carrying customers, prompting praise from open carry advocates.

Police departments uneasy

Bay Area police department have also expressed concern about the growing open carry movement. (Monitor report: "Ft. Hood rampage raises questions about gun control")

In a September 2009 memo to his officers, Sunnyvale, Calif., Deputy Police Chief Mark Stivers wrote, “To be very frank, I do not like the fact people can carry an unloaded gun in a holster in plain view in public. However the law says they can and we uphold the law.”

Nathan Wolanyk, an open carry advocate from San Diego, says the movement is as much about informing the public as it is about educating police departments who, he says, are often unaware of the unloaded open carry law.

Deputy Chief Stivers cautioned his officers, who are allowed to inspect unconcealed weapons to ensure they are unloaded, adhere to the law because open carry proponents “may want to provoke an incident” to bring a law suit against the city.

But Mr. Wolanyk and others say their movement is largely about changing perceptions about gun ownership.

“If all you see are guns in the media used in a violent manner, that’s your perception of guns,” he says. “When we’re out in public with them, we’re interacting with the public in a very nice manner. We’re showing that these are tools that are used for self defense.”
    From>>> http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/02...arms-in-public

Bill to Outlaw Open Carry in California to be Considered on Wednesday, May 12

Friday, May 07, 2010

Please Contact the Members of the Assembly Appropriations Committee Today!

On Wednesday, May 12, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Assembly Bill 1934.

AB1934 is a blatant attack on the self-defense rights of law-abiding Californians. Simply put, this legislation would outlaw the open carrying of a handgun for self-defense.

Post imported post

Slidell sounds good to me. Especially if we can use John Slidell Park, it's got lots of room and is relatively close to the freeway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast