• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La. open carry walk, march etc???

estcrh

imported post

I just want to know how many people in La. under the right circumstances and location would be willing to have some kind of planned walk. I am not talking anything specific at this point...but I have been hearing people talk about this for YEARS...walking alone is one thing but a planned peaceful stroll in an agreed upon place and time will not happen with out everyone who has SOME KIND of interest in the subject just momentarily dropping the fighting and name calling long enough to make it happen.

I am willing to do this to further the cause of OPEN CARRY in La...ANYONE else???? I will meet and walk with ANYONE here in a public place if the method and manner can be worked out. Any specifics can be worked out as long as there are enough intelligent minds cooperating on this ONE thing.

By specifics I mean..(place, time, organized or not?, rules?, media informed or not?, checking for school zones, permit needed?, people filming the whole thing for future use (you tube, safety, legal reasons etc) law enforcement notified?, open to anyone or registration only,etc)

If you have an interest in doing something constructive (instead of just attacking and insulting each other) under the right circumstances then say so....

LA Confederate

imported post

What would be your idea of a purpose for the "walk"? Why would we be gathering? An approximate location or venue? These are important questions to address early which will determine if anyone wants to show up.

If you have no purpose (education of the public, demonstration for or against something) then that's not much different than the OC breakfasts we already have on occasion. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure we talked about having an OC day at the park with a small table set up for handing out flyers to the public as an educational outreach.

Who's going to take the ball and make the event happen? You? Mark?:what: Someone else?

Now with all that said I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in a get together and/or an organized demonstration. For me, I'd be game depending on the answers to the above.

estcrh

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
What would be your idea of a purpose for the "walk"? Why would we be gathering? An approximate location or venue? These are important questions to address early which will determine if anyone wants to show up.

If you have no purpose (education of the public, demonstration for or against something) then that's not much different than the OC breakfasts we already have on occasion. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure we talked about having an OC day at the park with a small table set up for handing out flyers to the public as an educational outreach.

Who's going to take the ball and make the event happen? You? Mark?:what: Someone else?

Now with all that said I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested in a get together and/or an organized demonstration. For me, I'd be game depending on the answers to the above.
Thats fair enough...lets see how many other people will say they are interested under the right circumstances. ANYONE ELSE willing to at least express an interest depending on the answer to certain questions???

Slidell Jim

imported post

+1

my schedule is tough, and although I may not be able to actually make an event like this, I am interested. Lets do something within the next month, way before it gets too hot. (oh, too late, its gonna hit 87 degrees today)

CaptainDan

imported post

I for one think a "family Day" open to the public type thing would be a wonderful idea. You know a cook out, games for kids,I would volunteer my services and my grill and charcoal(I have apretty bigpit on wheels) If a few of us contributed a box of burgers from wal mart etc. this thing could be huge. Horseshoes, vollyball, Raffle an airsoftgun gun for boys and somthing for girls. The whole time passing out flyers and such.There are enough of us that thge shared expense would be nill, I have a horseshoe,vollyball set already, Notification in the paper as well as FREE ads on the community calendar on TV could realy bring our cause into the public eye.

You guys wanna do this thing, let Me know. The wife and I would love to be involved. On my week off I am availabvle 24 hours and would be glad to do the footwork. Let Me know what needs done and I have a week to acomplish it.

Good idea estrch.

estcrh

imported post

CaptainDan wrote:
I for one think a "family Day" open to the public type thing would be a wonderful idea.  You know a cook out, games for kids,I would volunteer my services and my grill and charcoal(I have a pretty big pit on wheels) If a few of us contributed a box of burgers from wal mart etc. this thing could be huge. Horseshoes, vollyball, Raffle an airsoftgun gun for boys and somthing for girls.  The whole time passing out flyers and such. There are enough of us that thge shared expense would be nill, I have a horseshoe,vollyball set already,   Notification in the paper as well as FREE ads on the community calendar on TV could realy bring our cause into the public eye.

You guys wanna do this thing, let Me know. The wife and I would love to be involved. On my week off I am availabvle 24 hours and would be glad to do the footwork. Let Me know what needs done and I have a week to acomplish it.

Good idea estrch.
Good ideas..lets see how many other people that come to this forum are willing to participate in some form of get together....there are many things that have to be figured out..for example.....are parks even available for open carry? Alcohol banned??? etc.

NRAMARINE

imported post

I like the idea of some type of family friendly event also. Under the right circumstances and not just a way for someone to start trouble. I also think we should inform the media, and everyone remember we are all on the same side.

estcrh

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
I like the idea of some type of family friendly event also. Under the right circumstances and not just a way for someone to start trouble. I also think we should inform the media, and everyone remember we are all on the same side.
I was just discussing in a p.m.to a member my reservations on the subject of Americans even being able anymore to make something happen and to organize anything without personal issues getting in the way. Do you really believe in a cause enough to compromise with other like minded individuals. Do Americans always need a LEADER to accomplish simple tasks.

I do not think an umbrella organization needs to be in charge...If individuals (who do not always agree or get along) can make something work through this forum that in itself would be a powerful message. I do not think anyone here wants ANY trouble and if there is no formal organization its much harder for some outside influence to infiltrate and cause problems. My own thoughts...any others either pro or con?????

If anyone has knowledge on the rules regarding open carry in the city or state park system that would be helpful or any other location that would be of interest. Picnic bbq has been mentioned and I have no problem with that format.

NRAMARINE

imported post

estcrh wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:
I was just discussing in a p.m.to a member my reservations on the subject of Americans even being able anymore to make something happen and to organize anything without personal issues getting in the way. Do you really believe in a cause enough to compromise with other like minded individuals. Do Americans always need a LEADER to accomplish simple tasks.

I do not think an umbrella organization needs to be in charge...If individuals (who do not always agree or get along) can make something work through this forum that in itself would be a powerful message. I do not think anyone here wants ANY trouble and if there is no formal organization its much harder for some outside influence to infiltrate and cause problems. My own thoughts...any others either pro or con?????

If anyone has knowledge on the rules regarding open carry in the city or state park system that would be helpful or any other location that would be of interest. Picnic bbq has been mentioned and I have no problem with that format.

I think everyone interested in participating will need to compromise a bit. However I also believe we need to all be clear on the objective of such an activity. We need to set an example, that we are not criminals or nut jobs. In other words we need to hold ourselves to a high standard and present a united front.

P.S. The BBQ idea sounds outstanding.

estcrh

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
estcrh wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

I think everyone interested in participating will need to compromise a bit. However I also believe we need to all be clear on the objective of such an activity.  We need to set an example, that we are not criminals or nut jobs. In other words we need to hold ourselves to a high standard and present a united front.

P.S. The BBQ idea sounds outstanding.
bbq and or pot luck is good with me, lets see what anyone else has to say. Some simple things first.....open carry in city or state parks,is it legal?....What city??...No school zone in the area for sure!!....how do you address the alcohol issue...is a permit needed for a get together?...

The objective????? That should be to have a self planned event with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!!! It should be VERY simple and uneventful. Just some people from different walks of life who have one thing in common..to show that you can wear a gun in public and be a normal person at the same time. How hard can that be?????

NRAMARINE

imported post

I would think no alcahol would be a good idea. We do want this to be family friendly I would think and booze andguns just don't mix. Also if the media were to be aware of this the last thing we would need is for a photo of someone drinking wearing a gun to surface. As far as I know, the parks in hammond are all in school zones I think.

barf

imported post

estrch - given your past incendiary posts and personal attacks on members here, I'm not so enthused about your new outreach initiative.

I urge everyone here to read some of estrch's past posts and proceed with extreme caution!

CaptainDan

imported post

As much as we all love an ocasional cold beer, I whole heartedly agree, no alchahol, that would open a whole new can of worms. As far as permits, etc. I leave for offshore tomm. and will be gone 2 weeks , however if not resolved by the time I get back, I would be happy to do the foot work.

Gotta tell ya guys, this sounds like fun.

georg jetson

imported post

barf wrote:
estrch - given your past incendiary posts and personal attacks on members here, I'm not so enthused about your new outreach initiative.

I urge everyone here to read some of estrch's past posts and proceed with extreme caution!
Excellent point... proceed with caution...

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:

From me:
I am willing to do this to further the cause of OPEN CARRY in La...ANYONE else???? I will meet and walk with ANYONE here in a public place if the method and manner can be worked out.
Braf..and you have never 'attacked" anyone here??? Is thats whats important to you..attacking me some more...why are you even here? People can say ANYTHING to me...right to my face even..it doesnt bother me a bit..its just some words....so go for it...get it all out...now.... is that a yes or no for you Braf????..not so enthused.....thats not exactly yes or no.

Slidell Jim

imported post

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]City Parks[/font]
Two candidate parks that I know of.... I may be a bit partial to these locations due to them both being within 15 minutes of me. :D

I know positively that John Slidell Park is outside of GFSZ. Heritage Park is close to Slidell Junior High, approx. 3 blocks away, but not within 1000ft. I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entance to the park." I will make a drive by this afternoon for a check at Heritage park.

Heritage Park is about 20+ acres, we wouldn't neccisarily have to rent the gazebo, as there are 7 separate covered picnic table shelters in the park that are, first come - first serve. Two of those shelters have 2 picnic tables.
Code:
http://www.slidell.la.us/rec_parks.php

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Heritage Park - 1701 Bayou Lane (behind the old Slidell Train Station on the Front Street)
Open daily from 6am -10pm
Features:
Large gazebo
Scoggin Station
Children's playground
Splash Pad
7 shelters
Picnic tables
Restroom area
Park benches throughout
Walking/jogging path
Boat launch, no charge
Gazebo Rental:
4 hours $100 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
4 hours $100 for recognized non-profit organizations
Scoggin Station Rental:
4 hours $75 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
4 hours $75 for recognized non-profit organizations

To book, please call the Recreation Department at 985-646-4371.
Please note that no pets, skateboards or skates are allowed in Heritage Park.
...Directions

[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]John Slidell Park - 105 Robert Blvd
Open M - F 10am-5pm
Open daily and for scheduled events
Features:
4 Ball fields and 1 multipurpose field
Playground equipment
Picnic tables
Gymnasium
Jogging & walking trails
1 Fully contained pavillion
Rental Fees:
Fully Contained Pavillion
$100.00 (/ 4 hrs) 8 a.m.- 10 p.m.
$50.00 refundable deposit
...Directions[/font]

estcrh

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]City Parks[/font]
Two candidate parks that I know of....   I may be a bit partial to these locations due to them both being within 15 minutes of me. :D   

I know positively that John Slidell Park is outside of GFSZ.   Heritage Park is close to Slidell Junior High, approx. 3 blocks away, but not within 1000ft.  I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entance to the park."  I will make a drive by this afternoon for a check at Heritage park.

Heritage Park is about 20+ acres, we wouldn't neccisarily have to rent the gazebo, as there are 7 separate covered picnic table shelters in the park that are, first come - first serve.  Two of those shelters have 2 picnic tables.

Code:
http://www.slidell.la.us/rec_parks.php

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Heritage Park - 1701 Bayou Lane (behind the old Slidell Train Station on the Front Street)
Open daily from 6am -10pm
Features:
Large gazebo
Scoggin Station
Children's playground
Splash Pad
7 shelters
Picnic tables
Restroom area
Park benches throughout
Walking/jogging path
Boat launch, no charge
Gazebo Rental:
4 hours $100 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
4 hours $100 for recognized non-profit organizations
Scoggin Station Rental:
4 hours $75 for individuals and organizations and $100 deposit
4 hours $75 for recognized non-profit organizations

To book, please call the Recreation Department at 985-646-4371.
Please note that no pets, skateboards or skates are allowed in Heritage Park.
...Directions

[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]John Slidell Park - 105 Robert Blvd
Open M - F 10am-5pm
Open daily and for scheduled events
Features:
4 Ball fields and 1 multipurpose field
Playground equipment
Picnic tables
Gymnasium
Jogging & walking trails
1 Fully contained pavillion
Rental Fees:
Fully Contained Pavillion
$100.00 (/ 4 hrs) 8 a.m.- 10 p.m.
$50.00 refundable deposit
...Directions[/font]
sounds to good to be true, I cant imagine that guns are not on the list of prohibited items...

estcrh

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
barf wrote:

Excellent point... proceed with caution...
Now George..cant we all just get along??? I PROMISE I wont say ANYTHING mean to you!!

barf

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
I was told by the Park reservation folks that "a full list of prohibited items and activities are available on the signage at the entrance to the park."
lol. Yes, let that sign be your determining factor.

Slidell Jim

imported post

Getting with the "family theme", She made mention to "inflatables" ... the things kids play on, super jump, bouncers or whatever.... That if we wanted to rent one and have it setup at the park, that we could, just that we would be required to rent out one of the gazebos and provide our own generator, as the power available at the park would not push the blower motor for a continuous time.

EDIT: I'm really going to make an effort to go by there this afternoon to see about any signs.