• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun when they take the census?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Fake-census-worker-invades-home-kills-owner-93242534.html

HOUSTON—A man was killed and his family members beaten after three suspects barged into a north Houston home Saturday afternoon, police said.
Investigators said one of the suspects pretended to be a census worker to gain entry into the house, located in the 400 block of Truman.
Family members said the victim’s son opened the door for the suspects, believing they were with the census.
Larry Johnson Jr., the nephew of the victim, said the suspects tied up and beat his cousin and aunt after barging into to the home.
Johnson said his uncle, Reginald "Pete" Haynes, walked in on the crime and was ambushed.
"They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water," Johnson said.
Haynes later died at the hospital.
Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.
"They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them," Johnson said.
Neighbor Randell Harmon said he even watched the suspects leave after the crime and had no idea what had happened.
"I sawthree gentlemen walk out and I didn’t think anything of it," Harmon said. "They didn’t look at me. They got in the truck and they left."
The incident left people in the community fearful about who might come knocking at their door.
"They’ve taken something precious from us," Johnson said. "They really have."
Neighbors said census-takers started working their street weeks ago.
According to HPD, the suspect who claimed to be a census worker showed no ID badge. Investigators said they don’t have a good description of any of the suspects.

buster81

imported post

peter nap wrote:
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Fake-census-worker-invades-home-kills-owner-93242534.html

HOUSTON—A man was killed and his family members beaten after three suspects barged into a north Houston home Saturday afternoon, police said.
Investigators said one of the suspects pretended to be a census worker to gain entry into the house, located in the 400 block of Truman.
Family members said the victim’s son opened the door for the suspects, believing they were with the census.
Larry Johnson Jr., the nephew of the victim, said the suspects tied up and beat his cousin and aunt after barging into to the home.
Johnson said his uncle, Reginald "Pete" Haynes, walked in on the crime and was ambushed.
"They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water," Johnson said.
Haynes later died at the hospital.
Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.
"They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them," Johnson said.
Neighbor Randell Harmon said he even watched the suspects leave after the crime and had no idea what had happened.
"I sawthree gentlemen walk out and I didn’t think anything of it," Harmon said. "They didn’t look at me. They got in the truck and they left."
The incident left people in the community fearful about who might come knocking at their door.
"They’ve taken something precious from us," Johnson said. "They really have."
Neighbors said census-takers started working their street weeks ago.
According to HPD, the suspect who claimed to be a census worker showed no ID badge. Investigators said they don’t have a good description of any of the suspects.
I knewI didn't trust those census workers.

vt800c

imported post

man..the Govt is REALLY SERIOUS about mailing those forms back.. we better get on that right away!

anyone read the article about the census taker that was out working 'in da hood' and was robbed of all his personal effects?

they left the Census stuff tho..I guess they felt it waas important to be counted...

Gotta keep getting those welfare checks.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Some census workers in the Houston area have been assaultedby homeowners and, have to watch out fordog attacks as well. It's not a very safe job as most people probably think. I know *I* would be 'discretely' armed were I a census worker.

I don't recall this amount of violence directed againstcensus workers in the past...probably just another indicator of the decline of America as we knew it. I would like to see those doing the violence not counted -- as in keeping with their wishes -- just arrested and deported...they can be counted in some other country, if they even bother doing that there. Or care.

-- John D.

MK

imported post

I bet Jehovah Witnesses have some pretty harrowing tales to tell as well.

I don't like strangers just showing up at my door and I definitely don't like the idea of being a stranger unexpectedly showing up at someone else's door. When you come to my house, you better have a good reason for being there because I am likely going to be apprehensive at the very least, and quite pissed off in some other instances.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

buster81 wrote:
I knewI didn't trust those census workers.
It's highly doubtful that census workers were involved in the home invasion/murder, B81.

PNbrings up a good example of how it's important to be selective about who you open your door to. Thanks, PN. Though your thread title is kind of, well, odd.

dviper

imported post

i live in san antonio and have been working for the census. i CC whenever i go out but thank god things arn't as bad here as in houston.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Some census workers in the Houston area have been assaultedby homeowners and, have to watch out fordog attacks as well. It's not a very safe job as most people probably think. I know *I* would be 'discretely' armed were I a census worker.

If a census worker, Iwould be tempted to be discreetly armed too. Unless it were illegal to do so. Anybody knowif it is or not?

Lying to the government, then getting caught and fired is one thing. Getting some kind of criminal charge is quite another.

cloudcroft wrote:

I don't recall this amount of violence directed againstcensus workers in the past...probably just another indicator of the decline of America as we knew it. I would like to see those doing the violence not counted -- as in keeping with their wishes -- just arrested and deported...they can be counted in some other country, if they even bother doing that there. Or care.

CC, what if the ones doing the violence are U.S. citizens? Do we deport them too?
39.gif

Census worker says off-duty cop pulled gun on her
Joe Nelson, Staff Write
Posted:05/14/2010 04:57:45 PM PDT

BARSTOW - A Census worker has alleged that an off-duty Barstow police officer pulled a gun on her during a confrontation Wednesday at his home when she showed up at the residence to inquire about a questionnaire, officials said.
The alleged incident occurred about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 34000 block of E Street. A numerator showed up at the residence to see about having the person who lives there fill out a questionnaire, said Celeste Jiménez, assistant regional census manager for the U.S. Census Bureau's Los Angeles regional center.
"We do know there was some sort of altercation that occurred between her and the gentleman who was there," Jimenez said. "From the reports I have heard, there was something involving a handgun."
The Sheriff's Department fielded the complaint at 2:38 p.m. Wednesday, sheriff's spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire said.
"While she was at the door, a weapon was shown to her," Wiltshire said. She said she did not know if the complaint alleged the gun was shown in a threatening manner to the Census worker, and that the report had not been completed as of Friday.
Wiltshire also said the police officer in question was not arrested, and she could not say if the officer was still reporting for duty at the Barstow Police Department.
A property records search showed that the person who lives at the given address is Timothy Heiden, a sergeant with the Barstow Police Department....

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_15089199

Texas attorney accused of shooting at Census worker

By Miguel Liscano - The Statesman 05/13/10 at 1:08 PM

Williamson County sheriff’s officials have charged a Leander attorney with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after they say she fired five shots at a U.S. Census Bureau worker on Saturday, court records show.

Carolyn M. Barnes, 53, could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the felony. She was being held in the Williamson County Jail this afternoon with bail set at $50,000.

According to the affidavit, the Census Bureau employee told officials that Barnes pointed a handgun at her when she showed up at Barnes’s home, in the 400 block of Indian Trail in Leander, to collect information.

As the woman tried to get away, Barnes fired the weapon, the document says. It is unclear if she was injured.

Full story: Leander attorney accused of shooting at Census worker | The Blotter.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/13/texas-attorney-accused-of-shooting-at-census-worker/print/#ixzz0nxM1pK8k

Police: N. Idaho man fired gun near census worker

Associated Press - April 10, 2010 6:04 PM ET

ST. MARIES, Idaho (AP) - A northern Idaho man who police say fired his shotgun near a U.S. census worker who was trying to deliver a census form has been cited for exhibition of a deadly weapon, a misdemeanor.

Fifty-4-year-old Richard L. Powell of St. Maries faces up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The Benewah County Prosecutor's office says that on March 3 Powell told the census worker to get off his property and then fired a shotgun into the air.

Powell's pretrial conference is scheduled for April 26 at the Benewah County Courthouse.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=12289648

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

All the trash goes to Mexico...it's more convenient, and it's poetic justice.

Carry however and wherever you can...at least you'll be alive to argue the law in court later. Timid folks, however,need not apply.

Happy carrying, however you do it,

-- John D.

P.S. Metal detectors are not your friends. They only keep decent people out, not criminals. Of course, that's true of all laws: Only decent people obey them...even if (sadly) they are illegal.

jhow1nm2

imported post

I had a guy knock on our door today. He wore some kind of green baseball hat with some insignia and a dissimilar black t-shirt with something else on it. Neither said Census Bureau. I didn't answer the door since I was on the phone and not in the practice of answering the door to strange men, especially unarmed. Then my wife tells me it might have been the census guy since he had come by the other day also.

I finished the call and looked out the window. He was gone. I stepped outside, walked up the driveway, saw his car parked at the top of my drive and saw him across the street talking with the neighbor. He got my attention and said he's be over in a minute. When he showed, he identified himself as a Census worker, and showed me his lanyard badge. He was inquiring about the vacant house next door. I answered his questions with him at the bottom of my steps and me at the top, and then let him know he wouldn't be welcomed at my door as a Census worker dressed the way he was, just because he had some lanyard around his neck. I told him neither my wife or I answer the door to strange men without a gun on us.

Long story to worthwhile lesson of just being cautious all the time. I finally have my wife trained to do the same thing.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
HankT wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:

CC, what if the ones doing the violence are U.S. citizens? Do we deport them too?
39.gif

Census worker says off-duty cop pulled gun on her
Joe Nelson, Staff Write
Posted:05/14/2010 04:57:45 PM PDT

BARSTOW - A Census worker has alleged that an off-duty Barstow police officer pulled a gun on her during a confrontation Wednesday at his home when she showed up at the residence to inquire about a questionnaire, officials said.
The alleged incident occurred about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday in the 34000 block of E Street. A numerator showed up at the residence to see about having the person who lives there fill out a questionnaire, said Celeste Jiménez, assistant regional census manager for the U.S. Census Bureau's Los Angeles regional center.
"We do know there was some sort of altercation that occurred between her and the gentleman who was there," Jimenez said. "From the reports I have heard, there was something involving a handgun."
The Sheriff's Department fielded the complaint at 2:38 p.m. Wednesday, sheriff's spokeswoman Arden Wiltshire said.
"While she was at the door, a weapon was shown to her," Wiltshire said. She said she did not know if the complaint alleged the gun was shown in a threatening manner to the Census worker, and that the report had not been completed as of Friday.
Wiltshire also said the police officer in question was not arrested, and she could not say if the officer was still reporting for duty at the Barstow Police Department.
A property records search showed that the person who lives at the given address is Timothy Heiden, a sergeant with the Barstow Police Department....

http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_15089199

Texas attorney accused of shooting at Census worker

By Miguel Liscano - The Statesman 05/13/10 at 1:08 PM

Williamson County sheriff’s officials have charged a Leander attorney with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after they say she fired five shots at a U.S. Census Bureau worker on Saturday, court records show.

Carolyn M. Barnes, 53, could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the felony. She was being held in the Williamson County Jail this afternoon with bail set at $50,000.

According to the affidavit, the Census Bureau employee told officials that Barnes pointed a handgun at her when she showed up at Barnes’s home, in the 400 block of Indian Trail in Leander, to collect information.

As the woman tried to get away, Barnes fired the weapon, the document says. It is unclear if she was injured.

Full story: Leander attorney accused of shooting at Census worker | The Blotter.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/05/13/texas-attorney-accused-of-shooting-at-census-worker/print/#ixzz0nxM1pK8k

Police: N. Idaho man fired gun near census worker

Associated Press - April 10, 2010 6:04 PM ET

ST. MARIES, Idaho (AP) - A northern Idaho man who police say fired his shotgun near a U.S. census worker who was trying to deliver a census form has been cited for exhibition of a deadly weapon, a misdemeanor.

Fifty-4-year-old Richard L. Powell of St. Maries faces up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The Benewah County Prosecutor's office says that on March 3 Powell told the census worker to get off his property and then fired a shotgun into the air.

Powell's pretrial conference is scheduled for April 26 at the Benewah County Courthouse.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=12289648

All the trash goes to Mexico...it's more convenient, and it's poetic justice.

Carry however and wherever you can...at least you'll be alive to argue the law in court later. Timid folks, however,need not apply.

Happy carrying, however you do it,

-- John D.

P.S. Metal detectors are not your friends. They only keep decent people out, not criminals. Of course, that's true of all laws: Only decent people obey them...even if (sadly) they are illegal.

I don't see how your solution makes much (any) sense, CC.

The Barstow cop who pointed a handgun at the woman Census worker, the Texas attorneywho fired 5 rounds from her handgun atanother woman Census worker and the Idaho man who fired his shotgunat a Census worker are all U.S. citizens!

They cannot be deported to any country for shooting up (or threatening to) some Census workers. That's not justice, poetic or otherwise.

Have you ever heard of the U.S. Constitution, CC?

You don't get to pick out the parts you like, CC,because of some weirdly-conceptualized racially-based simplistic ideas about what is right and wrong....

I suggest that you support the Constitutional rights of these shooters. Same as we allsupport the 2nd Amendment.

Although the 3 chuckleheadsdescribed aboveeasily qualify for goof with a gun status (except possibly the Barstow cop), and are hurtingour rights as gun owners/carriers--they still hold constitutional rights.

I support the U.S. Constitution. You should, too, CC.

dviper

imported post

HankT wrote:
dviper wrote:
i live in san antonio and have been working for the census. i CC whenever i go out ...
Is that legal?
i asked during training and the answer was that as long as you have your permit, and its legal at where ever your at then its ok. on a separate occasion during training they also said that the manual doesn't say you can't carry mace/pepper spray and CC your gun.

so basically nothing in the job prohibits me and the places i am going are legal to CC so i do.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dviper wrote:
HankT wrote:
dviper wrote:
i live in san antonio and have been working for the census. i CC whenever i go out ...
Is that legal?
i asked during training and the answer was that as long as you have your permit, and its legal at where ever your at then its ok. on a separate occasion during training they also said that the manual doesn't say you can't carry mace/pepper spray and CC your gun.

so basically nothing in the job prohibits me and the places i am going are legal to CC so i do.
OK. That's good information to know.

I would have guessed that the gubmint would have prohibited the practice since it has a great deal of authority over the census employees and, presumably, some liabilityfor them too.Can a census worker OC in a place where it is legal (not Texas)?

I wonder if other, non-Census,government employees who make contact with citizens in the field can also carry if they have a CCW?

Hmmm....