• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Editorial

JohnnyO

imported post

It could be a 12-year old who is a member of the CT State Legislature ginning up support.

mrjam2jab

imported post

But now, according to a recent story in The Courant, gun advocates are becoming bolder about walking into stores and other public places with guns in plain sight.

This trend is worrisome for a number of reasons. If more people go about their daily business armed with guns, the likely result will be more shootings and deaths.

and how is that any different than those same people carry concealed? The gun is still present...

Rich B

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
and how is that any different than those same people carry concealed?  The gun is still present...
I am still waiting for someone to tell me I need to cover up when I am open carrying. My question to them will be:

"So a piece of cloth is going to make you feel better about your irrational fear of an inanimate object?"

NickNt

imported post

Yea so they all talk about guns and violence and such, but what about all the stupid accidents caused in cars by teenage drivers who think they are hot sh*t? Or the cars that robbers steal to rob someone. There are alot more things out there that do more damage then guns do. You also have teenage drinking and drug problems with leads to accidents while driving etc.... Cars if i recall, i could be wrong, cause more deaths or nearly as much as guns do, and those deaths by guns are with illegal guns more often then not then they are with legal guns. The fact is that putting more laws on the books for guns or anything else only prohibits the people who actually give a crap about obeying the law, criminals dont care, hence why they are criminals. When there is demand for something, no matter what it is, someone will always suppy. Uggh sorry for ranting i just hate really ignorant people who blame guns for problems that PEOPLE cause. A gun never got up on it's own and said "hey im gonna kill someone". It's always the person behind the gun, the gun just happens to be an easy conduit for that happen, but that doesnt make the gun itself bad, it's metal object that does what it was designed to do, thats it.

buketdude

imported post

I have wrote another letter..maybe they will publish it..they really need to stop

If openly carrying handguns causes more violence I would like to know the following. In Vermont you can openly carry at age 16 and in Maine and New Hampshire there is no age limit. None of these states require any permit to carry openly either. These states also have the least per capita violent crime in America. Where is the violence? The road rage killings? The mass shootings? Our General Assembly should follow there lead and maybe one day Connecticut will be the safest state.

Leverdude

imported post

You guys keep forgetting that most people dont concern themselves with logic. That whole thing wreaked of hyperbole & BS but most of the non gun owning public will suck it right up.

Rich B

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
You guys keep forgetting that most people dont concern themselves with logic. That whole thing wreaked of hyperbole & BS but most of the non gun owning public will suck it right up.
Which is exactly why it needs to be answered by good people who actually understand sound logic and reasoning.