• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where do we need a shooting range in VA?

jayarmbar

imported post

I have a friend that wants to open a business and I was thinking about a range. I would like your input as to where a shooting range/gun store would be the most beneficial to us and to his investment. Thank you in advance.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Define "range". Are you considering rehabilitating a golf course or an abandoned bowling alley?

What I'd lie to see, whether it's indoors or outside, is a range that will permit me, as well as allow me, to draw and shoot, move and shoot, and shoot from unconventional postures (think, for example, from underneath a car). If that range had a 270*+ safe zone it would be even better.

And if you are converting an abandoned bowling alley, will you please erect a backstop that will allow me to use at least some rifle calibers larger than .22LR. Seeing as how even firing down the longest dimension would probably be too short for, say, .338 Lapua, you don't need to go to that extreme, but .223, .30 carbine, or even .357 out of a 20-inch barrel would be nice.

As for where geographically to put it? While next door would be preferable, I'll settle for across the street. Seriously, I doubt you could locate an outdoor range in any but a few places east of Charlottesville but if you find a location within 2 hours of RIchmond I'd consider at least 2 trips a month if the cost was reasonable.

stay safe.

skidmark

jayarmbar

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Define "range". Are you considering rehabilitating a golf course or an abandoned bowling alley?

What I'd lie to see, whether it's indoors or outside, is a range that will permit me, as well as allow me, to draw and shoot, move and shoot, and shoot from unconventional postures (think, for example, from underneath a car). If that range had a 270*+ safe zone it would be even better.

And if you are converting an abandoned bowling alley, will you please erect a backstop that will allow me to use at least some rifle calibers larger than .22LR. Seeing as how even firing down the longest dimension would probably be too short for, say, .338 Lapua, you don't need to go to that extreme, but .223, .30 carbine, or even .357 out of a 20-inch barrel would be nice.

As for where geographically to put it? While next door would be preferable, I'll settle for across the street. Seriously, I doubt you could locate an outdoor range in any but a few places east of Charlottesville but if you find a location within 2 hours of RIchmond I'd consider at least 2 trips a month if the cost was reasonable.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thank you for you input Skid. I was thinking more along the lines of an indoor range. I do like the idea of being able to shoot and move, more like a combat range or a hogans alley. We are still in the beginning phase But i will keep everyone posted.

jayarmbar

imported post

10mm wrote:
This is a very expensive project. However, I would love to see one in Prince William County!
I was thinking PW as well. I live in Manassas so I am biased. My goal is to make the establishment easily accessible and profitable at the same time. Thank you.

mdinnie

imported post

Arlington Va would be a good place for an indoor range. Lots of pentagon personnel and federal agencies are here.

Ditto on allowing drawing, shooting on the move, etc... That could probably be addressed during scheduled and supervised training times and / or IDPA matches.

As far as opening a gun store, might I suggest stocking reloading supplies like presses, dies, powder, bullets, primers, etc... I have yet to find a shop in NOVA with a good inventory.

nova

imported post

GMU has a lot of ground west of Rt123 in Fairfax, I'd love to see an outdoor range put right in Fairfax.:dude:

More realistically, I'd say PWC could use one as said in an above post.

Fenris

imported post

nova wrote:
GMU has a lot of ground west of Rt123 in Fairfax, I'd love to see an outdoor range put right in Fairfax.:dude:
An outdoor rifle & pistol range across from GMU would be nice. Maybe some of their security could even come over and learn something about guns and gun owners.

It's not like their doing anything useful with that land anyway.

Don Barnett

imported post

I personally know one of the County Commissioners of Prince William County, and he told me that the County Council is "chomping at the bits" for someone to reopen Shooters Paradise in Marumsco Plaza.The council recognizes thatthe shopping center is in dire need for abusinessthat will draw "decent" patrons...Giant Food just packed up and left after being there for years.

After it burned down, another owner applied for, and got, approval to open another range, but that owner died.

The approval is still valid for another year.

Go for it!!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Last year, I spent a week in Rhode Island at the NRA range builders conference with the dream to open a range in the Western Henrico/Goochland area.

Suffice it to say that between construction issues, OSHA, lead exposure, FFL, sales tax, range suicides, zoning issues, etc, That dream died by day 3 of the conference. I did get a fancy shmancy NRA coffee cup that has now seen better days.

mdinnie

imported post

I'm telling ya. There is a dense population of captive shooters in Arlington/ Alexandria. I drive out to Fairfax (NRA range) and Ashburn (SEG) to shoot. I drive out to Manassas to buy guns and gear. Something inside the beltway would score big time.

jayarmbar

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I personally know one of the County Commissioners of Prince William County, and he told me that the County Council is "chomping at the bits" for someone to reopen Shooters Paradise in Marumsco Plaza.The council recognizes thatthe shopping center is in dire need for abusinessthat will draw "decent" patrons...Giant Food just packed up and left after being there for years.

After it burned down, another owner applied for, and got, approval to open another range, but that owner died.

Go for it!!
Interesting. Would you happen to have a point of contact?

nova

imported post

Fenris wrote:
nova wrote:
An outdoor rifle & pistol range across from GMU would be nice. Maybe some of their security could even come over and learn something about guns and gun owners.

It's not like their doing anything useful with that land anyway.
GMU Police already have a range they use. ;)

architect

imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
I have a friend that wants to open a business and I was thinking about a range. I would like your input as to where a shooting range/gun store would be the most beneficial to us and to his investment. Thank you in advance.
1601 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
rugerdon wrote:

Go for it!!
Interesting. Would you happen to have a point of contact?
see previous thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/41514.html

vt800c

imported post

Springfield Mall! Ok, seriously, I think in the area of alexandria/Crystal City would be perfect. you might even score a nice gov't contract with the pentagon security, as well as local security firms there. If you could do it in the 'Underground' so you don't have to worry about 'stray rounds'...

I like the idea of arange where we can move around a bit. shooting in a stall reminds me of being so much cattle. (No offence, Sharpshooters, or NRA, or Clark Brothers)

The closer to Alexandria, I think you'll get a good amount of business.

dcmidnight

imported post

mdinnie wrote:
I'm telling ya. There is a dense population of captive shooters in Arlington/ Alexandria. I drive out to Fairfax (NRA range) and Ashburn (SEG) to shoot. I drive out to Manassas to buy guns and gear. Something inside the beltway would score big time.

Too many NIMBY nutjobs to get anything in Arlington. I can see the ads now "GUNS COMING TO ARLINGTON, MORE GUNS, HIDE YOUR KIDS!!!!"

I dont mind Sharpshooters/Gilberts. I've had a membership for a couple years now and even in that time they have made a lot of improvements. Its worth it to have something within a 5 minute drive from where I live (Alexandria). Is it perfect? Nope. But the shop is halfway decent and again it beats driving an hour or so to get to another range in rush hour traffic during the week or Beltway traffic on the weekends.