• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where do we need a shooting range in VA?

Regular_Joe

imported post

Culpeper. This Piedmont region seems to be very pro-gun. Clark Brothers does have a small outdoor range that we use, but we prefer driving to Dominion's (our favorite - those guys are *awesome*!) in Richmond or the NRA range in Fairfax.

My dream range:
  • Shoot own ammo & offer ammo sales
  • Any caliber
  • Pistol and Rifle
  • Sell gear
  • Open to the public and membership program
  • Offer classes (CHP, Defensive, Hunter Safety...)
  • Large rental selection (guns and holsters)
  • Youth program
  • IDPA/USPSA/IPSC
  • NRA/VCDL membership info/applications/discounts
  • Viewing window w/comfortable sitting area
  • On-site Armorer
  • Oh, and within 2 miles...

Don Barnett

imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
rugerdon wrote:
I personally know one of the County Commissioners of Prince William County, and he told me that the County Council is "chomping at the bits" for someone to reopen Shooters Paradise in Marumsco Plaza.The council recognizes thatthe shopping center is in dire need for abusinessthat will draw "decent" patrons...Giant Food just packed up and left after being there for years.

After it burned down, another owner applied for, and got, approval to open another range, but that owner died.

The approval is still valid for another year.

Go for it!!
Interesting. Would you happen to have a point of contact?

[align=left]

Chairman At-Large
Corey A. Stewart
McCoart Administration Building
1 County Complex Court
Prince William, VA 22192
Phone: 703-792-4640
Fax: 703-792-4637
Aide: 703-792-5626
cstewart@pwcgov.org
[/align]
Sorry, I haven't been watching the forums.

This is the contact for the Chairman of County Supervisors. From what I understand, the board just approved a long term plan for renovatingJefferson Davis Highway through the Woodbridge area. I don't know if that includestearing down Marumsco Plaza or not, but supposedlyRt 1 will be a nice place to ride through; i.e you won't have to drive with your windows up and your hand on the grip of your pistol.

Marumsco Plaza almostseems deserted now. GiantFood isgone - too many hold upsfrom what I hear.

NovaCop

imported post

A free range in my backyard would be nice... and as stated before.. it would be free...

I wouldn't mind donations in the form of 6-packs, food, and/or ammo though...

Just a thought.

Interestingly though, Pennsylvania has free public ranges all year round for citizens. No range staff, just backstops and targets, tables, and posted range rules. Just show up and shoot how you want. Range includes handgun areas (10 yards) up to long distance rifles (100 yards). Usually two of those free ranges in every county/city. Wouldn't mind VA copying that system, although I would have to deal with "citizen" sneaking up behind me and asking me for "cites" as I take a shot. J/k big guy.

Don Barnett

imported post

Just to reiterate:

I talked to Councilman Mike May after Mass on Sunday and asked him about the plans for Marumsco Plaza.

Supposedly it is to get a facelift with a new grocery store going in.

He said that the County Board of Supervisors would LOVE to have aShooting Range reopen in thatshopping center. It would draw patrons; and as these patrons wouldprobably be armed, it would be the "right" kind of persons carrying weapons. This would tend to reduce crime in the area.

Again, the approval for the range is still valid and thus would not require reapproaching the Board of Supervisors.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rugerdon wrote:
Again, the approval for the range is still valid and thus would not require reapproaching the Board of Supervisors.
Unless one wanted to get the problems ironed out with the existing one. The Special Use Permit is flawed and needs to be redone. There is no way anyone could meet the requirements they have listed in it as it stands.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pourshot wrote:
rugerdon wrote:
Unless one wanted to get the problems ironed out with the existing one. The Special Use Permit is flawed and needs to be redone. There is no way anyone could meet the requirements they have listed in it as it stands.
Do you happen to have a copy of it? I would be interested in checking it out.

Don Barnett

imported post

I don't have a copy of the Permit but it has been posted somewhere else on this forum...don't know where.

I am sure you can get a copy from the Prince William County Board of Supervisors. Here is their contact information:

http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040050000940000442

If they really want to get Marumsco Plaza going again and lure honest patrons into the area, they should be willing to work with potentialpropriotors over the use permit.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeamt wrote:
pourshot wrote:
joeamt wrote:
Do you happen to have a copy of it? I would be interested in checking it out.
I will see if I can locate it. Do you want the whole thing or just the suspect parts?
Whole thing.. Thanks!

Have not compared this to the hard copy, but I am not going to scan this and post it.

http://www.pwcgov.org/planning/documents/PLN2009-00047.pdf

If you want more info use the following link...

http://www.co.prince-william.va.us/searchnew.aspx?searchTxt=PLN2009-00047

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fenris wrote:
What are the problems with the approval?

Nothing with the approval, but some items within...

PG C4 item N - basic materials price quoted by one company was about $260,000 to meet county spec.

Not a real show stopper, but costly.

Most of the stuff is the county in the way and when you read item E on page C3 (PDF PG 21)

translated -- If every employee is not a qualified gunsmith AND a BATFE agent we can shut you down.

Fenris

imported post

Hmmm. These sound like the kind of things someone with no real experience with guns would write. Inspecting firearms? I've never had that asked of me.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fenris wrote:
Hmmm. These sound like the kind of things someone with no real experience with guns would write. Inspecting firearms? I've never had that asked of me.
And Jack signed up for all of it. There was a bunch in there that was totally against preemption so the county had to strike it.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hmmm.. Also, it wants 1,000 sq ft of space dedicated to a PWC police substation accessable from the outside via a private entrance.. at no cost to PWC.. Interesting..

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeamt wrote:
Hmmm.. Also, it wants 1,000 sq ft of space dedicated to a PWC police substation accessable from the outside via a private entrance.. at no cost to PWC.. Interesting..
That was offered to help grease the skids by Jack. I told him, if they do not accept, then just open a doughnut shop and you will get the same result. :lol:

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pourshot wrote:
joeamt wrote: :quirky
That was offered to help grease the skids by Jack. I told him, if they do not accept, then just open a doughnut shop and you will get the same result. :lol:
:monkey