• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where do we need a shooting range in VA?

230therapy

rhnhjh79

imported post

Chesapeake in greenbier i have to drive all the to bobs to shoot it sucks 464 and 264 always backed up . i thought about it but money does not grow on trees

jayarmbar

imported post

230therapy wrote:
I've run a range. It's a tough business.

Moving while shooting...for any average joe? Are you @#$%^%$#@$%^$#$% nuts?

Stuff like this happens:

Really bad:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pekiti#p/u/56/Zlzl-ptugOk

Just bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxXS_v6Z0w

When I walk into the NRA Range and see guns on tables pointing toward the door (or other people) with closed slides...I lose ANY desire to run a public range.
Dude relax. Iam still in the planning phase and I am just asking for ideas from the folks here.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
The old Shooters Paradise location...

I drove past the old plaza the other day.. they are repairing the building.. I wonder if there are already plans for a new range?

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
If you're looking at Marumsco Plaza (site of the old Shooters' Paradise) send a PM to pourshot. He's quite familiar with the special use permit which is still valid, and some of the issues of that location.

Thundar

I have a friend that wants to open a business and I was thinking about a range. I would like your input as to where a shooting range/gun store would be the most beneficial to us and to his investment. Thank you in advance.

I would recommend a 1000 yard range on the banks of the potomac river pointing at DC.

PS, I know the river is narrower than 1000 yards in most places, that is the point.

MSC 45ACP

I would recommend a 1000 yard range on the banks of the potomac river pointing at DC.

PS, I know the river is narrower than 1000 yards in most places, that is the point.

We could actually open a very nice facility on Roosevelt island with 800 yards for High power shooting on the north side of the road and a nice combat pistol range on the south side of the road with the remaining 200 yards of area available.

I think Teddy would be OVERJOYED at the idea of Marksmanship Ranges built on an island named for him and ranges constructed in his honor. (dream ends here)

<sigh>

Virginiaplanter

We could actually open a very nice facility on Roosevelt island with 800 yards for High power shooting on the north side of the road and a nice combat pistol range on the south side of the road with the remaining 200 yards of area available.

I think Teddy would be OVERJOYED at the idea of Marksmanship Ranges built on an island named for him and ranges constructed in his honor. (dream ends here)

<sigh>

You mean Analostan Island, right. That was owned by George Mason and willed to his son Brigadier General John Mason. George put the Gun in Gunston Hall.

rangegroup

Hey man look at the post I did not post that!! Please either remove your post or attribute it to the correct member. Thank you.

Looks like I may have a building in Manassas. Keep you finger. crossed.

Sounds like a good project and you are looking in the right areas. Another group was trying to set up a range in Manassas, but got themselves tripped up when they got into a building that could not handle the necessary equipment for the range operation. Don’t forget to stay ahead of the design specs (and associated costs) in addition to the demographical research. Ranges are not as complicated or expensive as most equipment manufacturers and architects would have you believe. (I leave the architects out of my projects and do the design in-house)

I run a fund that invests in the shooting range and firearms industry as well as handling design-build projects for government and commercial groups. Drop me a line if you need any tips on reducing construction costs or financial pro forma. Always happy to help a fellow range enthusiast along.

bealaskan

Need more public ranges

I would love to see a public outdoor range in the Newport News/Yorktown/Williamsburg area. We have a good private shooting club but something available for public use would be outstanding.

What I would like to see is a outdoor range with targets out to 600 meters. When I transferred here from Texas, I was surprised at the lack of indoor and outdoor ranges. Especially since Virginia is such a gun friendly state and that there are so many gun enthusiasts both military and civilian in the Hampton Roads area.

MSC 45ACP

Where to start?

Where would one start the process to get a PUBLIC range built in York County?

In this political climate of "Hope & Change", there isn't much MONEY available for such a project.

There are several places in the county that could be used (land donated to the county by the powerplant / refinery between Dandy and Seaford comes to mind).

I'm sure there is no shortage of well-qualified people to staff such a place, too!

I guess it comes down to $$$, but if funding were found, where would you start?
Something submitted to the Board of Supervisors? This REALLY hit home the night of the BOS meeting about York County's "discharge" regulations.

conhntr

I love to see something like nvrpa bull run shooting center but for rifle/pistol. Anyone know the history of that place/any possibility of getting one setup for rifle/pistol?

SFDoc

There's a movie studio that's been for sale for years. At least one very large building, Fenced in compound, several acres. Don't know what the price tag is but there are NO ranges for many a mile and only a few homes in the area.

It's east of exit 65 on I-85 -on New Millennium Drive in Dinwiddie County.

MSC 45ACP

Building a range

I've been involved in several range renovations / rebuilding jobs and have found it is a LOT more cost effective to build and maintain an OUTDOOR range than an indoor one. With indoor ranges, you have to deal with ventillation and HEPA filters. Outdoors, baffles and bullet traps are pretty simple to deal with. You just need a LOT of 8" x 8" timber among other things.