• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice on OC in GA in the Lookout Mountain Area

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'll be traveling to the Lookout Mountain area near the TN-GA border, but definitely on the GA side. Can anyone tell me what the OC atmosphere is there and in GA in general? TIA

P.S. What is this "pubic gathering" thing? It was a little unclear to me as to whether or not it applies to permit holders. Does it?

Kingfish

imported post

Oh yes it does.

But to answer your question a "Public Gathering" (PG) is whatever the arresting officer says it is.

See, these laws were put in place a long time ago to keep the "undesirables" from carrying weapons. They were intended to be completely discretionary.

Someone may chime in and say "well, I have been OCing all my life" without telling you that the Sheriff is his cousin and his uncle before that and he has never left his county.

There are a few places in case law that would not be PGs (McDonalds) but even that might get you arrested.

If I had an active permit I would CC where I knew it was legal (or at least reasonably believed it to be legal.)

aadvark

imported post

Good News though...,

Sonny Perdue seems poised to sign Senate Bills 291 and 308.

This means that The Public Gatherings Statute, Official Code of Georgia16-11-127,will berepealed! This takes effect immediately, upon the Governor's signature.

Currently, everybody agrees to disagree on what Public Gatherings really are, but in practice, whereever there are People in sufficient numbers, arbiet a real Gathering or not.

groats

imported post

Neo wrote:
Thanks, guys.  Any idea *when* those bills will be signed?
40 days from passage, so there's about 30 left for the Governor to decide. And the laws go into effect upon signing, no delay.

aadvark

imported post

I spoke with the Co-Author and Co-Sponser of both Senate Bills 291 and 308 yesterday.

Representative Sean Jurgeuson told me that Senate Bill 291 is likely to be vetoed.

However, Senate Bill 308 is likely to be signed.

He did mention, however, that The Governor may well sign Senate Bill 291, regardless.

The reason for the hesitation over Senate Bill 291 is that Ben DeCosta and Atlanta Mayor Reed have indicated that Hartsfield-Jackson Airport may sue Georgia to override Georiga Law concerning Firearm Carry into Airports under Federal Law.

Remember though, Airport Carry is alreadly Legal in most States, and Federal Law only applies to Firearms past Security Check-points at the Concords themselves.

Georgia Law 16-11-173 would defeat any Local Ordinance that Atlanta makes to the contrary, which reminds me..., Atlanta's Bill to allow Local Zoning of Firearm-related Stores/Pawn Shops/Firearm Stores, etc., has been defeated as well by Georgia. This makes Georgia somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-0 against Atlanta whn it comes to Firearms.