• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to ditch LTCH?

freehoosiertim

imported post

Now that Arizona has become the 3rd state to eliminate carry permits (and, of course, some others don't require them for OC), I think it is about time we make a concerted effort in Indiana to do the same. It is absurd that we must ask the government for permission and have to carry a piece of paper and have to continually update them on where we live, just sowe can be "allowed" toexercise a God-given constitutionally guaranteed right.

Anybody know if any legislators have pushed this before?

Thoughts? Advice?

Prometheus

imported post

I couldn't agree more. It's long over due.

The State should keep issuing a LTCH for reciprocity purposes only. A Citizen carrying a handgun in Indiana should NOT require a tax and permission to exercise his/her Right of self defense. It's no different than a poll tax.

protias

imported post

It seems they do it only for the money since there is no training (which I agree with), just an "interview" with the sheriff.

DarkRose

imported post

I didn't even have an interview. Filled out paperwork, made an appointment to come back and get printed at my local PD, they gave me the packet to mail to the ISP, done.

freehoosiertim

imported post

That interview with the sheriff is a new one on me. Never heard of that. Sounds like a nice little addition to the law by your local sheriff.

My point is we, as American and Indiana citizens, with God given (not government given) rights, should not have to ask permission from the government or pay a tax (fee) to the government in order to exercise those rights. Do you need a license to go to church? Do you have to pay a fee to stand on a street corner with a political sign? Why is your God given right to defend yourself and your community any different.

protias

imported post

I thought there was an interview. I'm not a resident of IN (yet), so I'm just using my non-res until then.

Sorry for me not knowing. :(

DarkRose

imported post

A few years back when I checked on getting a permit (when there was Personal Protection and Target/Hunting permits, seperate and different fees), our local PD required you to write a "mini-essay" on why you wanted a permit. I was told if all you wrote was "It's my 2nd amendmant right" or something similar, you'd get rejected for being "Too cocky" (all of this info is second-hand). They no longer do that here, and haven't for a while.

Now Indiana seems more atrue "Shall-Issue" state.