Thread: Vehicle Storage Question

Post imported post

Looking for an answer I've yet to find about in-vehicle storage.

I'll be in Charlotte this weekend for the big goings on. I understand how and where I can and can't carry while in NC and while I'm driving. However, where I can lawfully store my sidearm in the vehicle while not occupied is still a mystery to me. So the question.

Where and how can my sidearm be stored in my personal vehicle while unattended in a parking lot? Links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Pretty much wherever/however you want. No joke. We have no laws stipulating how a firearm must be stored while lockedinside an unoccupiedvehicle.

No need to unload it
    Carry on!

Post imported post

But you probably want to have it in some sort of secure container that is attached to the vehicle, so it's not easy to steal if someone breaks into your vehicle...

I use a portable safe and a cable lock, attached to the tie-down loops in the cargo area of my vehicle.

It's not theft-proof, but it would make theft a LOT more difficult than if it were loose in the trunk, or in a gun case. No reason to make things easy for the criminals...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    But you probably want to have it in some sort of secure container that is attached to the vehicle, so it's not easy to steal if someone breaks into your vehicle...

I use a portable safe and a cable lock, attached to the tie-down loops in the cargo area of my vehicle.

It's not theft-proof, but it would make theft a LOT more difficult than if it were loose in the trunk, or in a gun case. No reason to make things easy for the criminals...
    Or take the cable lock that likely came with one of your pistols. Take the mag out, lock the slide back, then run the cable through the pistol and around the seat frame where it mounts to the floor. It will make it harder to get to. Or if you have a locked glove box you can do that. Handcuffs would would work too.

Post imported post

I bought one of those small metal lock boxes at Walmart like you see at yardsales for keeping your cash in. Locks with a key. Threw the change drawer away and bolted it behind the seat on my truck.Not theft-proof but it would take them awhile and a lot of noise to get it open.

Post imported post

Thank you for the info.
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."